Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why atheism is irrational
Why atheism is irrational
I had some time, so I came back to pay a visit to my friends over on this forum. Sup.

And I've been thinking about rationality lately. Let me just lay it on you like butter on toast.

Almost all atheism is irrational. Why?

A lot of us point to the supposed intelligence of atheists, but what I've come to realize is that most of us have become atheists at quite a young age. Too young, honestly, to have a full grasp of our logical faculties or the world around us. Age 13 or 14 is simply not when your mind is fully developed. This includes the vast majority of atheist intellectuals who become atheists at a young age and just engage in confirmation bias throughout their academic careers.

Atheists whine. A lot. If you spend time on internet forums, you notice 98% of their time is spent hating Christians and whining about Christianity. For a "rational", "skeptical" group of people, such lack of rationality is alarmingly hypocritical.

About matters of the intellect, atheists are very superficially educated. They have a basic foundation down "EVOLUTION RULZ, GOD SUX HAHA I HAVE BIBEL VURSES THAT SUX LOL" but fundamental nuances are often glossed over or missed because their interest is not in knowing things, but in confirming what they want to be true.

"Ah but Vinny Gabagool, atheists know more about the Bible, look at the stats!" You will say, no doubt pointing to some stats. "Nonsense!" I will reply. While most religions are entirely focused on knowing about their own religion, atheists, for the most part are anti-theists. So everything they need to know is anti-religious dogma. Biblical contradictions, the euthyphro dilemma, wise-ass sayings that are actually nonsensical- these are de facto atheist teachings. So of course, they would "know more" their entire existence depends on their hatred against people who believe in a God!

When I started off as a skeptic, I started with a sense of intimidation. I was scared of all the intellectuals. Now that I'm a little older, a little smarter, a little more educated....I feel sorry for them.
RE: Why atheism is irrational
In the famous words of apophenia, What a bunch of hooey.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(September 24, 2013 at 11:14 pm)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote: I had some time, so I came back to pay a visit to my friends over on this forum. Sup.

And I've been thinking about rationality lately. Let me just lay it on you like butter on toast.

Almost all atheism is irrational. Why?

A lot of us point to the supposed intelligence of atheists, but what I've come to realize is that most of us have become atheists at quite a young age. Too young, honestly, to have a full grasp of our logical faculties or the world around us. Age 13 or 14 is simply not when your mind is fully developed. This includes the vast majority of atheist intellectuals who become atheists at a young age and just engage in confirmation bias throughout their academic careers.
Wtf?

Quote:Atheists whine. A lot. If you spend time on internet forums, you notice 98% of their time is spent hating Christians and whining about Christianity. For a "rational", "skeptical" group of people, such lack of rationality is alarmingly hypocritical.
Cos when we're not talking about religion we don't feel the need to identify as atheists.

Quote:About matters of the intellect, atheists are very superficially educated. They have a basic foundation down "EVOLUTION RULZ, GOD SUX HAHA I HAVE BIBEL VURSES THAT SUX LOL" but fundamental nuances are often glossed over or missed because their interest is not in knowing things, but in confirming what they want to be true.
Wtf?

Quote:"Ah but Vinny Gabagool, atheists know more about the Bible, look at the stats!" You will say, no doubt pointing to some stats. "Nonsense!" I will reply. While most religions are entirely focused on knowing about their own religion, atheists, for the most part are anti-theists. So everything they need to know is anti-religious dogma. Biblical contradictions, the euthyphro dilemma, wise-ass sayings that are actually nonsensical- these are de facto atheist teachings. So of course, they would "know more" their entire existence depends on their hatred against people who believe in a God!
Not very bright or observational are you?

Quote:When I started off as a skeptic, I started with a sense of intimidation. I was scared of all the intellectuals. Now that I'm a little older, a little smarter, a little more educated....I feel sorry for them.

No idea why anyone would be scared of intellectuals, you should talk to someone about that. [/quote]
You're making a lot of unfair generalizations. I won't speak for everyone but I will tell you about myself. I come from a religious family and I have nothing against people who believe. Yes I began thinking about this when I was w teenager but I have thought alot about it since. I am not anti theist, in fact I am fascinated by peoples beliefs.I think faith does a lot of good for many people and if I could believe in a higher power, a soul and an after life that'd be awesome but I just can't reconcile the injustice and inequity that I see on earth with what is supposed to be an all powerful all loving being. I would love to hear why you believe.
You know little and understand even less about atheism, Vinny, if this simplistic shite is your realization after reflection.
Quote:And I've been thinking about rationality lately.

Think harder.
(September 24, 2013 at 11:27 pm)artistriley Wrote: You're making a lot of unfair generalizations. I won't speak for everyone but I will tell you about myself. I come from a religious family and I have nothing against people who believe. Yes I began thinking about this when I was w teenager but I have thought alot about it since. I am not anti theist, in fact I am fascinated by peoples beliefs.I think faith does a lot of good for many people and if I could believe in a higher power, a soul and an after life that'd be awesome but I just can't reconcile the injustice and inequity that I see on earth with what is supposed to be an all powerful all loving being. I would love to hear why you believe.

You're right, I shouldn't generalize.

And you not being one of "them" is an encouragement to me.

What would you put the ratio at? Is the ratio of irrational:rational atheists something around 50:50? Maybe 30:70?
Quote: Atheists whine. A lot. If you spend time on internet forums, you notice 98% of their time is spent hating Christians and whining about Christianity. For a "rational", "skeptical" group of people, such lack of rationality is alarmingly hypocritical.

About matters of the intellect, atheists are very superficially educated. They have a basic foundation down "EVOLUTION RULZ, GOD SUX HAHA I HAVE BIBEL VURSES THAT SUX LOL" but fundamental nuances are often glossed over or missed because their interest is not in knowing things, but in confirming what they want to be true.

This is very unreasonable. Statistics and probability state nothing of a group of people, no less.

Return with facts, and discussion may have some value.
Hmmm, you do make some very general statements. Remember the belief in your religion is just faith.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
You described how atheists may behave irrationally (according to your own, special, definition of rationality), but how does any of this demonstrate that atheism is irrational?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4964 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  What makes people irrational thinkers? SlowCalculations 228 18265 January 15, 2022 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 5973 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 25948 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8576 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27121 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why Anarcho-Capitalism Is a Canard and Its Implications for Atheism log 110 12559 January 19, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Atheism is irrational. theologian 153 19907 December 15, 2016 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
Wink 100% proof why atheism is True!!! Edward John 89 11957 November 10, 2016 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why atheism dyresand 6 1510 May 19, 2016 at 4:24 am
Last Post: robvalue