Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Christians Carbon Dating
Question for Christians Carbon Dating
Hey Folks,

Christians like to say their Bible was written by Manuscripts and that Jesus was alive 2000 years ago. Can I ask what evidence they have to support this claim?

Most Christians Reject Scientists that say the world is over 4,000 years old and we use carbon dating to work this out. Yet christians will use the same carbon dating of their bible to support their claim.

So which is it?
Rants and Raves from an Ex-Christian http://walkofthemonkeyman.blogspot.co.uk/
RE: Question for Christians Carbon Dating
Whichever one best suits the christian position at the time. We all know this. Dodgy
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
No, most Christians are not YEC, and furthermore I thought this thread would be about manuscripts in relation to radiocarbon dating, and in that relation the answer would have been that palaeographic dating is far more reliable and is not invasive/destructive where radiocarbon dating is. With that said, Xians have had many many ancient texts radiocarbon dated.

Oh, I forgot to add that the world's leading expert on dark matter is a member of my church.

Here's proof. One fact (out of many) that is not mentioned is that 12-15 of his students have gone on to become direct science advisors to world leaders.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
What does that have to do with this thread, or anything else for that matter? The original proposer of what eventually became the Big Bang theory was a Catholic priest. Isaac Newton was a non-Trinitarian Christian. ...So what? It seems you're trying to say something but without elaboration I could only guess at what stupid thing you could mean.

And dark matter isn't really understood, something even the world's (apparently) leading expert will likely admit.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
(November 21, 2013 at 7:39 am)themonkeyman Wrote: Hey Folks,

Christians like to say their Bible was written by Manuscripts and that Jesus was alive 2000 years ago. Can I ask what evidence they have to support this claim?

Most Christians Reject Scientists that say the world is over 4,000 years old and we use carbon dating to work this out. Yet christians will use the same carbon dating of their bible to support their claim.

So which is it?

There are Christians who have trouble with some science including me, however I do not have problems with newer methods of dating because they are more accurate, yet none seem to be accurate past 50,000 years.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(November 21, 2013 at 9:44 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote: What does that have to do with this thread, or anything else for that matter? The original proposer of what eventually became the Big Bang theory was a Catholic priest. Isaac Newton was a non-Trinitarian Christian. ...So what? It seems you're trying to say something but without elaboration I could only guess at what stupid thing you could mean.

And dark matter isn't really understood, something even the world's (apparently) leading expert will likely admit.
Are you serious? I addressed the OP's main question and then explained that generally speaking Xians are 1. not YEC and 2. pro-science.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Of course you aren't in the American South, are you?

Makes a difference.
Most don't know anything about these manuscripts or the paucity of evidence for Jesus' existence. If they do, they use special pleading. Things like "Paul met people who saw Jesus speak." Or "The tomb was empty."
[Image: giphy.gif]
Paul met the risen Christ (refs. Acts 9:4-7, 1 Corinthians 15:8, Galatians 1:11-17. It is my view that Luke is the scribe who wrote 2 Timothy (ref. 2 Tim 4:11). There's hardly a paucity of evidence as you claim, in fact there is more than ample...

(November 21, 2013 at 7:39 am)themonkeyman Wrote: Hey Folks,

So which is it?

Actually, scientists DON'T use carbon dating to determine the age of the Earth. And most YECs wouldn't understand the uses and limitations of carbon dating if it bit them on the arse.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do conservative theologians prefer early dating of documents? LinuxGal 3 851 December 9, 2022 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7833 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Dating Paul's Writings JairCrawford 33 3010 July 30, 2018 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Hypothetical Question for Christians (involving aliens) Tiberius 26 3346 June 7, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question I have for Christians. Quick 45 7020 May 12, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  A single question for Christians Foxaèr 30 6345 October 6, 2017 at 9:00 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Question for Christians regarding elimination of Sin ErGingerbreadMandude 11 2767 January 29, 2017 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  A Loaded Question for Christians chimp3 33 4956 December 19, 2016 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Question to Christians purplepurpose 72 8724 July 7, 2016 at 12:40 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31253 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy