Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
GOOD Apologetics?
GOOD Apologetics?
Even when I was a Christian, I realized most of our arguments had glaring holes in their logic, or at worst, were simply wrong.

I'm wondering now, are there any sound logical proofs for a God's existence? Or more specifically, for Yahweh's? Have you ever heard a Christian give a logical argument for god's existence that knocked you off your feet?

I'm now thoroughly convinced that all Christian apologetics is pretty much bullshit, and that even a logically sound argument doesn't equal empirical evidence. I'm just wondering if any of it is actually good.
RE: GOOD Apologetics?
I think the best arguement for the Existance of God is the existance of God, and you ablity to interact with him if you approach him as He has instructed in Luke 11. Pretty hard to argue with God on his existance. Maybe that is why you all choose to argue with us, and not A/S/K for him yourselves.
(January 23, 2014 at 10:13 am)Drich Wrote: I think the best arguement for the Existance of God is the existance of God, and you ablity to interact with him if you approach him as He has instructed in Luke 11. Pretty hard to argue with God on his existance. Maybe that is why you all choose to argue with us, and not A/S/K for him yourselves.

I think the best argument for the existence of Harry Potter is the existence of Harry Potter, and your ability to approach him as He has instructed in the Prisoner of Azkaban. Pretty hard to argue with Harry Potter on his existence. Maybe that is why you all choose to argue with us, and not A/S/K for him yourselves.

See how it really doesn't make sense?
(January 23, 2014 at 10:13 am)Drich Wrote: I think the best arguement for the Existance of God is the existance of God, and you ablity to interact with him if you approach him as He has instructed in Luke 11. Pretty hard to argue with God on his existance. Maybe that is why you all choose to argue with us, and not A/S/K for him yourselves.

See, this is exactly the kind of crap I was talking about. Smh...
(January 23, 2014 at 10:20 am)FlyingNarwhal Wrote:

I think the best argument for the existence of Harry Potter is the existence of Harry Potter, and your ability to approach him as He has instructed in the Prisoner of Azkaban. Pretty hard to argue with Harry Potter on his existence. Maybe that is why you all choose to argue with us, and not A/S/K for him yourselves.

See how it really doesn't make sense?
..How so, If Harry were real, Seeing and talking with everyday of your life witnessing what he was able to do day in day out.. It would pretty difficult to argue the existance of Harry

So do you see how that makes sense?

Your arguement fails because on must approach Harry or God with a closed mind. Before you see any evidence you must already know that no matter what you will see it will not be proof of anything. That is why My statement that supports Luke 11 does not make sense to you.

(January 23, 2014 at 10:24 am)ThePinsir Wrote:

See, this is exactly the kind of crap I was talking about. Smh...

Why debate whether something works or not when you can simply plug it in and find out for yourself? What is with this need for others to do your thinking for you?

I don't remember apostle Paul doing the ASK boogie woogie.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(January 23, 2014 at 11:10 am)Tea Earl Grey Hot Wrote:

I don't remember apostle Paul doing the ASK boogie woogie.

So you think yourself on the Level of the Apstole Paul?

Paul thought He was serving God when he was rounding up Christians to be stonned. God's interaction with him was because he was already on side of God and did his best to honor what he though God wanted from him. God simply corrected him. Before that Paul was a formally trainned and devout pharisee.
The problem with A/S/K is there is nothing you can't convince yourself is true with it. Try it on Krishna, same results. It's a psychological trick, a way to deceive yourself. It's exactly the kind of argument for God to be expected if he's not real.

I have to admire the sleight of hand, though, my hat's off to the con man who came up with 'do your very best to believe in what I'm selling and when you do, you'll know that what I'm selling is real' and figured out how to get people to actually try it.
Drippy is the king of circular reasoning.
I always bring this up about paul. .(2 Cor 11:12-14)... paul says But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we. For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Paul claims that Satan himself can assume the form of an angel of light to deceive people. How could Paul be sure the faceless shining light and voice he experienced was actually Jesus? Paul also had no problem thinking that he had special knowledge from God himself.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credible/Honest Apologetics? TheJefe817 212 20759 August 8, 2022 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Let's see how many apologetics take the bait Joods 127 18305 July 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Ignorant apologetics aside, your god does not exist. Foxaèr 10 2512 April 16, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Priestly apologetics in a sermon this a.m. drfuzzy 13 3175 April 1, 2016 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Thoughts on Atheism and Apologetics Randy Carson 105 18401 July 4, 2015 at 5:39 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Non-fundamentalist apologetics is about obfuscation RobbyPants 6 2160 May 9, 2015 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Apologetics Psychonaut 9 2960 October 1, 2013 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Apologetics blog domain name John V 54 19043 August 13, 2013 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
Tongue Apologetics was much more efficient in ancient times Tea Earl Grey Hot 19 8648 September 14, 2012 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Apologetics...I'm a BIG Fan LunchBox 30 5789 January 16, 2012 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist