Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's just a Southern thang y'all!
It's just a Southern thang y'all!
Why do southerns keep insisting the Confederate flag isn't a racist symbol?
RE: It's just a Southern thang y'all!
Because to THEM, the Civil War was "The War of Northern Aggression," where the North tried to take away all kinds of rights from the South. (Like, oh, the right to own slaves maybe?) They think the Confederate flag is a symbol of "Southern pride." I think they are all FUCKING RACIST IDIOTS.
I would imagine that much of that attitude is due to social conditioning. For me, when I was younger anyway, that was certainly the case. For years on end you are indoctrinated into the mindset that the Civil War was actually the "War of Northern Aggression" while being carefully steered away from any evidence that shows the Civil War for what it really was; a petty, foolish attempt to protect the institution of slavery by right-wing aristocrats which resulted in death and destruction on a scale never seen on American soil.

I find the entire situation very disheartening. Sadly I am afraid that there is little that can be done in the immediate future to change the atmosphere down here. The ideology is deeply ingrained in the southern, and particularly the white southern male's, mindset.
Well guess what? It's been ingrained into my mindset that a person with a Confederate flag will probably kill you. Me being small brown girl and all that jazz.
(January 30, 2014 at 8:55 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Well guess what? It's been ingrained into my mindset that a person with a Confederate flag will probably kill you. Me being small brown girl and all that jazz.
Pro tip: Stay away from Cullman, Alabama. It's the most racist place I've ever been. Lots of hate groups are located there, neo-nazis and KKK.
Y'all ain't from 'round here, are ya?

Slavery was a big issue in the war between the states, but it wasn't the only thing, and the north wasn't without fault, either. It's hard not to see it as a bit racist, and I'd rather see the national flag than the confederate one. I'd say that most people waving it with pride are probably not the most enlightened or progressive individuals. It's just one of those things, like hearing my parents call any black guy a n****r, despite knowing full well it's a deeply racist word.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(January 30, 2014 at 8:55 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Well guess what? It's been ingrained into my mindset that a person with a Confederate flag will probably kill you. Me being small brown girl and all that jazz.

I really wish I knew of a way to fix that. The whole situation I mean. The League of the South and their type whip up this southern nationalist nonsense and people wind up fearing for their lives and worse, getting hurt. Or killed as you pointed out.

What really changed my mind (and this might sound very morbid) was looking at photographs of lynchings. Those photos gave me a lot to think about and I guess I'm fortunate to have had that experience so I could take a step beck and examine my beliefs. On closer reflection I was able to see just how sick and twisted the outcome of that sort of thinking was likely to end up.

I hope you never find yourself in a dangerous situation because of this mindset and I look forward to a day when it's no longer widespread enough to cause anyone to fear for their safety.
(January 30, 2014 at 9:06 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Y'all ain't from 'round here, are ya?

Slavery was a big issue in the war between the states, but it wasn't the only thing, and the north wasn't without fault, either. It's hard not to see it as a bit racist, and I'd rather see the national flag than the confederate one. I'd say that most people waving it with pride are probably not the most enlightened or progressive individuals. It's just one of those things, like hearing my parents call any black guy a n****r, despite knowing full well it's a deeply racist word.
My father grew up with his parents using that kind of language. In addition, my grandfather (before he died), used to freely admit to joining up with his friends and beating up black people for being black. Although, to his credit, he looked ashamed about it. His former friends did not.

Oh, and my grandpa on my biological father's side (the previous father I mentioned was my step-father/adoptive father) was a member of the KKK.
(January 30, 2014 at 9:06 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Slavery was a big issue in the war between the states, but it wasn't the only thing, and the north wasn't without fault, either.

What other issues are you referring to and in what way was the United States at fault?
My biggest problem is southerners seem to think I should go up and ask if someone is a dangerous racist because "We ain't all like that. It's just a little southern pride."

Um they'd NEVER tell a Jew to go check if the guy waving around a swastika is "really a neo-nazi". So why do they ask it of me?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1153 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 837 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  [Serious] Dozens Of Crazed Trump Supporters Form “Human Wall” Along Southern Border Cepheus Ace 40 2651 February 19, 2019 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  It's Just One Vote and It's Just One Carbon Footprint Duty 16 1011 October 26, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Ivanka insulting the mothers of all immigrants, or better: all immigrants. WinterHold 22 2227 May 31, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  But if you just give them all the money they want... Minimalist 9 1641 March 3, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Other Side of the Southern Coin Minimalist 2 746 July 13, 2015 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Portugese example, austerity ruining southern Europe. Something completely different 3 1234 July 18, 2013 at 2:18 am
Last Post: LastPoet