Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My dying best friend
My dying best friend
I want to talk about something that I don't often discuss. Maybe I should. I actually think if I had to link my departure from faith to any emotional component (believe me, there are still plenty of intellectual reasons), this would be my most thorough conviction, purely of intuition, that the Abrahamic Gods are myth.

I've worked in the mental health field for about seven years now. I've worked with people who had all kinds of fucked up issues, from paraplegics whose asses I've literally wiped to those with minor mental or physical dysfunctions. One person I worked with for five years accidentally shot himself in the head with a hollow tip bullet at point blank and died three times on the way to the hospital. He was in a coma for over a year but survived against all odds, though now cannot develop any new long-term memories (he told me the same stories, same jokes, dozens of times). Great guy, always upbeat. Oh, and he told me being dead was nothingness, he didn't recall any of it, like being asleep. Make of it what you will.

Another I knew and actually became friends with after he left the program I worked for was a guy we'll just call Ed. Ed was wheelchair bound with the less extreme form of muscular dystrophy. He used to skateboard until the age of 14 or 15 when he had to then move to crutches and eventually a wheelchair. It fucked him up, mentally. You could tell his hope in life was diminished. He'd never walk again. The two of us used to make music together (rap) and he lived with me for a short time. He died at the end of 2012, only at the age of 23, from an overdose of prescription drugs (he was also addicted to crack and heroin, which he sold because he couldn't really work--had very little muscle strength, just enough in his arms to get in and out of bed himself and to wheel himself around).

Anyway, when I was 18 years old one of the first people I began working with was a boy who was then twelve years old. We'll call him Lucas because I don't want to (and legally can't) use his real name. He was born with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, the worst variety. His parents found out when he was five. It left them absolutely devastated (but they didn't lose their faith). For those who don't know, DMD is a degenerative cell condition that over a short time weakens a person's muscles so that they eventually lose all motor functionality, including their eyelids until their heart just one day stops working. That's how they die, typically living no longer than 21-22 years old. Lucas used to be able to walk, do everything a kid typically does. He gradually went to crutches, I think around 7-8, then a motorized wheelchair. When I met him he had already lost function of his legs. I go to his house 3-4 days a week for about 3 hours and play video games with him. It's what I do for a living to make money. Over time we've developed a close friendship, he's like my little brother. All his cognitive faculties are there (minus the benefit of a normal education and more friends--his parents didn't really push him in school and let him stay home most days when his muscle pains were too much to endure). He's an absolutely terrific guy. I love him. We goof off, make up silly raps and play games, listen to music (I've gotten him into 2Pac). Lucas will be 19 this April. He'll never get to go for a walk by himself or drive a car. He's missed out on so much and he will miss out on so much more. He's definitely lost some function in his arms (can't lift them up at all by himself now) since I first met him. Prognosis says he has about 2-3 years left to live. His parents have prayed for God to heal him but there is no cure or answer. The only hope at this point lies in embryonic stem cell research.

When people talk about the suffering in the world and whether or not it is possible that a loving and caring deity exists, I think they tend to forget what it's really like for some people and how much pointless chaos is truly part of our world. These are people. Witnessing this suffering first hand, with a friend that I know will die an awful end way too soon, I could never justify the notion that a loving or caring god as has some of kind influence or control over this life on Earth, at least intellectually or emotionally.

And also, Lucas and I have had some conversations about God. He believes what his parents have told him (they NEVER talk about death or anything like that with him), that there's a God and a heaven we all go to when we die. You know what? Maybe it's a good thing he does believe that?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: My dying best friend
I have schizoaffective disorder. There is no god. Look at "lucas".. god sure had a doozy of a wing-dinger of a plan for a young boy.
Could you please go back to your intro thread and actually introduce yourself. And if you are that poe, fuck off
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
I read all of that mate.

My response is so short because I am so entrenched in a situation so similar to this.

I won't discuss it here. It isn't something I want to do.

It's something that still pegs my MAJOR atheistic side back and reins it in.

Watching something like this happen to a friend leads you to consider that belief in something else is a valid control mechanism.

Without belittling your own predicament...now imagine that's not your friend.

It's your brother.
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
I certainly have no belief in a perfect world free from suffering. That's just how it is and that's what I think perfection looks like. We'd all want better but that just isn't reality and no sugar coating is going to make that ok. I believe it makes it worse.
That's really sad, P_S. I don't have much else to say, except *hugs*
I know you can put faith in a god that just allows this earth to exist freely. I know there doesn't exactly need to be a plan. Looking at the world you can see it's free of any plan. I just wish the pain and suffering could influence me positively in that sense. It makes me angry with god, or the idea. This leaves me with only atheism as the key to my understanding. Science, bitch!
I hate the bible. I love that do as thy whilst stuff.
Dying Sucks. No way around it. Dying young seems ever so much worse, but in the end, we're all goin one way or the other. Even those fucking idiots who believe jesus is going to suck them into the air one day are going to end up in the ground or in an earn somewhere.

Enjoy what you have. The knowledge of your friend dying should only strengthen your resolve to make your life count. I enjoy mine immensely and try to waste as little as possible. Even being here on these forums is something I really like doing. Not every day has to be some great adventure. Just make an effort to enjoy it while it lasts.
[Image: Evolution.png]

What is a problem is if someone lives their life in the belief in an afterlife, when perhaps they would have acted differently and enjoyed the life they do have more if they didn't have it. Perhaps in this case it is a good thing for him? I guess it's whatever makes his life more enjoyable.

I think the nearest analogy I can make to my own life is being fed up and having a horrible time at work, but thinking that it's ok because I have a great holiday booked the next week. I think that would make me happier, though probably not so much if I felt there was a chance that the holiday would involve demons torturing me.

Life is unfair and cruel. To quote David Attenborough:
"People sometimes say to me, ‘Why don’t you admit that the humming bird, the butterfly, the Bird of Paradise are proof of the wonderful things produced by Creation?’ And I always say, well, when you say that, you’ve also got to think of a little boy sitting on a river bank, like here, in West Africa, that’s got a little worm, a living organism, in his eye and boring through the eyeball and is slowly turning him blind. The Creator God that you believe in, presumably, also made that little worm. Now I personally find that difficult to accommodate…"
I can see why your job leads you the way it does. It's difficult to look at the world as it is and imagine that there's a God who loves us all. This boy is enduring more suffering than most of us will ever experience here. I'll make you roll your eyes and pray for him since that's all I can do for him, but fortunately, he has trust in God and your care and friendship to help him through. These are things that make life bearable for him. He will have an eternity without pain to enjoy thanks to a God who loves him and has sent his son to suffer also and make that possible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dying Well Jamie Boy 34 1024 April 8, 2024 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  [Serious] comforting the dying ColeDavis 31 2204 November 20, 2023 at 2:34 am
Last Post: ColeDavis
  A conversation with a friend. Alternatehistory95 8 1586 January 21, 2019 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11376 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  An Intersting conversation I had with a Creationist friend of mine. TanithDaUnicorn 39 5876 February 14, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why religion is dying my perspective dyresand 10 2375 October 15, 2015 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Losty
  is there such thing as a perfect friend? leodeo 21 4660 February 26, 2014 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Marvin
Exclamation Friend turned to religion in bad way, please help. freeman552 19 5980 June 30, 2013 at 1:47 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Atheism is "finally dying out" taylor93112 26 8092 April 15, 2013 at 7:22 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  I think i offended my friend when i asked about her beliefs ASEANAtheist 2 2253 October 25, 2012 at 6:05 am
Last Post: Kane