Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why no miracles anymore?
Why no miracles anymore?
Is there any reason why all the magical shit that happened in the bible ended? Seems unfair if you ask me. I want to see a drop of water instantly sprout a flower.
RE: Why no miracles anymore?
The bullshit in 3...2...1....
(March 29, 2014 at 11:14 pm)KUSA Wrote: I want to see a drop of water instantly sprout a flower.
Thinking
Oh I can't wait to hear our resident theist's explanations.

Well come on now, we're listening.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
(March 29, 2014 at 11:14 pm)KUSA Wrote: I want to see a drop of water instantly sprout a flower.

I think you are being a little harsh on them. True....you don't get BIG miracles like pillars of fire and parted seas anymore but who can argue with fucking "mary" showing up on the filthy griddle of a California Mexican Restaurant?

[Image: griddle.jpg]

How can you dispute that? Why on the left side I even see the Great Min with his pecker out getting ready to hump her.
(March 29, 2014 at 11:14 pm)KUSA Wrote: Is there any reason why all the magical shit that happened in the bible ended? Seems unfair if you ask me. I want to see a drop of water instantly sprout a flower.

To me, that was the biggest thing that leapt out at me when I read the Wholly Babble: the stark contrast between the world depicted in this book vs. the actual world I lived in.

In The Wholly Babble, there was nothing mysterious about the god Christians believe in. One can barely turn a page without some overt demonstration of the supernatural, from demons causing diseases to priests working magic. Today's priests can't even manage a Cure Light Wounds spell. Put the Babble down and look at the universe and you see a natural realm governed by predictable laws and best understood through science and reason.

The supernatural upheaval didn't end with Jesus, either. The Book of Acts is particularly drenched in overt woo, from angels interacting with people to magic handkerchiefs that heal the sick.

How anyone actually believes any of this stuff today is beyond me.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
God is really, really old. He is tired. Just moving his bowels in the morning is more than he can manage anymore. Anyone wishing to part a sea these days will have to do it himself.
Because most of the stuff that used to be considered "miraculous" can now be explained naturally?
Here's what's going to happen: the first theist is going to come into this thread, and the first sentence they're going to type is something along the lines of "who says there are no more miracles?"

Next, they're either going to list a set of unconfirmed, unconfirmable nonsense miracle claims like weeping statues, or Fatima, or some bullshit like that, or they're going to list a bunch of completely explainable, normal phenomena in the natural world, and claim that god does that, therefore miracles.

No matter what, they're going to completely miss the point of the thread, which is that obvious, magic miracles seem to have stopped. Because glib non-answers are the cornerstone of apologetics.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4087 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Miracles Not In Our Favor! chimp3 18 1536 June 9, 2020 at 7:01 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why.... do we need religion anymore.... dyresand 5 1535 January 15, 2015 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Catholic miracles beatlesman 97 16330 December 16, 2014 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11543 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Gods acts of punishment and miracles. Gooders1002 23 9309 November 13, 2012 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How many miracles needed in the Noah myth? Doubting Thomas 74 34202 January 31, 2012 at 6:36 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  To all believers: Do you believe in miracles? annatar 43 15042 September 24, 2010 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: theVOID
  Miracles for an Atheist. Dotard 29 9815 December 14, 2009 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: chatpilot
  Convincing Miracles? Tiberius 5 5090 April 30, 2009 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet