Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opiate of The Mind
Opiate of The Mind
Well over the last two years whatever my theism is has been dwindling. I would rather there was no God than one like the one that is portrayed as punnishing people for ever. Would rather there was no God if God is the angry Czar who wills people should wail and gnash their teeth for eternity.

If I lose my faith I won't kill anyone but will probably go back to shoplifting and telling a lie on ocassion. I might have to go on disability. So, since I'm hung, in order to be a contributing member of society, might advertise myself on the Internet as someone willing to give local desperate women pleasure. That will be great until the materialism of an unwanted pregnancy or venerial disease.

Even if Religion is an opiate of the mind, if it gives a person hope and strength in sorrow, a more upright and ordered life, more charity toward others, more hope, more meaning to suffering and day to day living, than it is very good for them. Sometimes an opiate is necessary, and I prefer people have hope and consolation in this frusterating life.

I know prayer has power and the people that loved me unconditionally were almost always Christian, so that was what convinced me God was providing. I'll never say "there is no God" because an insignificant speck of dust who has no authority to make such a declaration shouldn't.

You Godless Heathens are here for us when God is hiding. More and more I'm beginning to hope you're right. If God would will that people would have to be tortured for eternity, why would I want to be in Heaven worshipping him for all eternity? But maybe I'm a proud Cunt for making such a comment.

But I can't state your theory of evolution as infallible until the chimp men return. Wink

God bless you sweet and tasty little dalings! Jesus loves you Smile
RE: Opiate of The Mind
I am an anti-theist only in the sense that theism does not belong in the public sphere. I fully understand that belief does good things for people, gives them comfort and a sense of belonging, purpose. It's just not necessary.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
The problem with religion is not so much when it gives people hope, or when it causes them to become better people. It's when people try to force it on everyone, claim that people who don't worship their deity are bad people that enjoy sinning, and think that the bible is the best source of morality without question that we have a problem. For instance, if christianity is what keeps you from stealing, lying, and selling yourself to people, then that's an issue you have with yourself. It's sad to me if someone needs a book that encourages slavery and genocide, and condones rape and killing people for the actions of their fathers/ancestors to make them be better people. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I never said I need or live by The book. Repeatedly I have said I'm disgusted with a lot (not all) of what is in "the book". Christianity origianlly was not a Religion of the book. Also, I greatly admire wisdom and spiritual practices in Eastern Religions as well. Yet people here appear to keep accusing me of being a man of "the book". Ah well, no sweat off my sack!
(March 30, 2014 at 1:03 pm)Thunder Cunt Wrote: Christianity origianlly was not a Religion of the book.

Technically, it was. There was no Christianity before it was recognized as the state religion and a book was compiled. Before Christianity, there was no particular term for those who followed the teachings of Jesus.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Well early "Christians" even if that was not what they were called by name, Had no Bible.
BTW, It wasn't coming to this forum that influenced my losing faith. If anything I would have thought there was a lot of good fruit to Christianity as evidenced by how abrasive, viscious, bigoted, and closed-minded so many Atheists are. But that's great! I'm not bitchin! I love it. That is where my comfort zone is at and am grateull people are aloud to treat eachother like shit here.

It is good to get roughed up to avoid becoming some pampered bitch who can't deal with the real world. I hope you atheists are right. However, I knew a Charismatic Catholic lady who talked in tounges and had visions and all kinds of freaky shit like that. She used to tell me things about me she should have never known. She had some sort of supernatural gift. Even if Christianity is Fuckery, I won't deny that she and others have something authentic that was more than faith in Fiction. It is very rare but does exist.
(March 30, 2014 at 3:59 pm)Thunder Cunt Wrote: BTW, It wasn't coming to this forum that influenced my losing faith. If anything I would have thought there was a lot of good fruit to Christianity as evidenced by how abrasive, viscious, bigoted, and closed-minded so many Atheists are. But that's great! I'm not bitchin! I love it. That is where my comfort zone is at and am grateull people are aloud to treat eachother like shit here.

It is good to get roughed up to avoid becoming some pampered bitch who can't deal with the real world. I hope you atheists are right. However, I knew a Charismatic Catholic lady who talked in tounges and had visions and all kinds of freaky shit like that. She used to tell me things about me she should have never known. She had some sort of supernatural gift. Even if Christianity is Fuckery, I won't deny that she and others have something authentic that was more than faith in Fiction. It is very rare but does exist.

What she 'had' was an illusion. No one person over another, is 'gifted' by a god with anything supernatural.

Religion and the ideas that many have of a god, is an illusion. If it weren't, there'd be no atheists.

Welcome to reality. AS IT REALLY IS. Big Grin Not as you have been taught to believe.

I wish you well on your journey towards discovering what is true for you.
Evolution is a fact.
Fuck theism.
There I said it.
Quote:You Godless Heathens are here for us when God is hiding. More and more I'm beginning to hope you're right. If God would will that people would have to be tortured for eternity, why would I want to be in Heaven worshipping him for all eternity? But maybe I'm a proud Cunt for making such a comment.

I just want to let you know that punishment for eternity is one of three views, which all have biblical support, that have been held since early christian times. Eternal punishment has been the most popular view since Augustine's day and was adoped as doctrine by the catholic church and by most of the protestant churches. The bible is very clear about the existence of hell, but not as clear about the duration. There's just as much or more biblical evidence for a hell where unbelievers suffer for a time according to their transgressions and then are destroyed. The other belief which has much biblical support is that unbelievers suffer in hell until they eventually come to belief and then go to heaven. The time in hell might be comparable to 20 or 1,000 or more years. Who knows? Also, the punishment in hell is not God wanting to punish you, but rather the separation from him which you have chosen voluntarily. God is still active in this world, but absent in hell.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  brainwashing & mind control techniques purplepurpose 6 1717 November 24, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Changing ones mind about a subject Sal 23 2698 November 21, 2017 at 11:52 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Religion is fluff but the Doctrines are solid. Keep mind open. RonaldMcRaygun 12 2308 March 31, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  What would change your mind? hyperchord24 117 20303 March 28, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The bible teaches that there is no immortal soul and that death is the end MIND BLOWN LetThereBeNoGod 4 1755 February 16, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Matt Dilahunty On What Would Change His Mind About God Edwardo Piet 14 5128 January 29, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  A real mind-boggling mirracle! mcolafson 12 2292 September 22, 2016 at 1:56 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Atheist = Reprobate mind sinnerdaniel94 186 38986 November 2, 2015 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How long did it take for you to deconvert? What made you change your mind? IanHulett 27 7732 August 6, 2015 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Inside The Mind of God Mental Outlaw 2 1272 May 6, 2015 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: dahrling