Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WLC debated Sean M. Carroll a few weeks ago on origins and Kalam Argument
WLC debated Sean M. Carroll a few weeks ago on origins and Kalam Argument
I just finished watching this debate from earlier this year. I think Sean M. Carroll did a phenomenal job, far better than Lawrence Krauss did against Craig. In this debate, the issues are laid out by two excellent debaters. Craig held his own and I appreciate him nailing the theistic approach to cosmology.

That said, having the two issues laid out, it's clear to me that theism as one of the many speculative models out there is the least interesting and offers no predictive value. It's an utterly fruitless thought experiment--ultimately, pointless speculation--on par with the brain in a vat.

It's a long debate (two hours) but if questions of Cosmology interest you, specifically in the framework of naturalism vs. theism approaches, this will be worth your while:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0qKZqPy9T8
RE: WLC debated Sean M. Carroll a few weeks ago on origins and Kalam Argument
Carroll dissected Craig like a surgeon. But Craig will keep saying the same bullshit over and over while his followers will cheer.
Basically, yeah. I think Craig has good questions and valuable skepticisms about current models--just not any interesting answers or even attempts at any solutions.
(April 4, 2014 at 9:43 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Basically, yeah. I think Craig has good questions and valuable skepticisms about current models--just not any interesting answers or even attempts at any solutions.

Craig and skepticism don't mix.
(April 4, 2014 at 9:44 pm)tor Wrote:
(April 4, 2014 at 9:43 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Basically, yeah. I think Craig has good questions and valuable skepticisms about current models--just not any interesting answers or even attempts at any solutions.

Craig and skepticism don't mix.

He's skeptical about anything that disagrees with "the witness of the Holy Spirit regarding the fundamental truth of Christian belief." That usually doesn't produce any intelligent, must less useful, results, but in this debate I thought his skepticism raised some good questions that, if properly addressed, can make current models of cosmology stronger and better understood by an audience such as myself. One question that he raised which I thought was good: if the Universe is eternal, such as in the Quantum Eternity Model, why or how did the classical physics of space-time begin to take effect 13.8 billion years ago and not infinitely long ago?
One of the few debates Craig has lost. I thought we had a thread on this, but oh well. Smile Carroll did well.

Anyway, it's the Quantum Eternity Theorem, not Quantum Eternity Model. :p To answer you're question, classical physics of spacetime did not take effect 13.81 billion years ago.
My comments on it are here: http://atheistforums.org/thread-24992-po...#pid637697
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(April 5, 2014 at 8:30 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote: To answer you're question, classical physics of spacetime did not take effect 13.81 billion years ago.

I just mean why did the "big bang" happen (as Carroll said, "the first moment in time") if there was nothing but eternal quantum fluctuations or whatever before (?) then. I didn't hear Carroll address that question. Maybe the answer is "we don't know." I'd be okay with that. There's a lot of shit we don't know, much less the creation of the structure of reality.
(April 5, 2014 at 1:31 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: I just mean why did the "big bang" happen (as Carroll said, "the first moment in time") if there was nothing but eternal quantum fluctuations or whatever before (?) then. I didn't hear Carroll address that question. Maybe the answer is "we don't know." I'd be okay with that. There's a lot of shit we don't know, much less the creation of the structure of reality.

I know Carroll has addressed this point in other talks and I'm certain I recall him addressing it a couple of times in the debate. The answer he gives - which I would tend to agree with - is this: If you have a very well corroborated, self-contained cosmological model that fit the data, then there is nothing else to explain. If you, like religious apologist do, ask the question "Why that model?", then all you're really doing is presupposing the ontological truth of a controversial philosophical principle called the Principle of Sufficient Reason, which has many problems. Further, it really seems that all asking that question implies is that one does not want to accept that there may be brute facts.
(April 5, 2014 at 1:48 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote:
(April 5, 2014 at 1:31 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: I just mean why did the "big bang" happen (as Carroll said, "the first moment in time") if there was nothing but eternal quantum fluctuations or whatever before (?) then. I didn't hear Carroll address that question. Maybe the answer is "we don't know." I'd be okay with that. There's a lot of shit we don't know, much less the creation of the structure of reality.

I know Carroll has addressed this point in other talks and I'm certain I recall him addressing it a couple of times in the debate. The answer he gives - which I would tend to agree with - is this: If you have a very well corroborated, self-contained cosmological model that fit the data, then there is nothing else to explain. If you, like religious apologist do, ask the question "Why that model?", then all you're really doing is presupposing the ontological truth of a controversial philosophical principle called the Principle of Sufficient Reason, which has many problems. Further, it really seems that all asking that question implies is that one does not want to accept that there may be brute facts.

Ah, yeah okay I do remember that bit. I don't think it's ultimately a satisfactory answer but at this point it works. Even if a model eventually develops that explains all aspects of the Universe's internal structure, I still think the question "But why THAT? Why THIS?" is worth pursuing and something humans will inevitably seek to understand further.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Kalam Cosmological argument. JJoseph 113 4663 January 10, 2024 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Astreja
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8126 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Controlled by fables from thousands of years ago! thool 19 2475 January 18, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  True Origins of Man - Ascent to Dominance much more complicated than the bible's tale bussta33 1 1173 December 20, 2015 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Thoughts on origins Kingpin 54 8485 August 12, 2015 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  I need a lttle help with a few questions please Guesto123 17 3245 January 21, 2015 at 1:04 pm
Last Post: Natachan
  WLC free will and omniscience tor 80 12438 April 7, 2014 at 10:37 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  WLC on why Einstein is wrong tor 22 4371 March 22, 2014 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  WLC is getting old tor 4 1868 March 21, 2014 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Modler
  I have a few questions to atheists, before I become one. IntelligentPlanet 66 11853 March 18, 2014 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman