Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do Christians trust YHWH?
So, according to the Bible, YHWH is the source of all of our morality. He tells us not to kill, steal, rape lie, or covet, yet, he frequently breaks his own rules. He's on record for murdering the crap out of lots of people. Even children! So, you ask an apologist "what the shit?" and they'll say something to the effect of "God has no moral imperative not to kill us" or "those rules are for us, not God" or "who are you to question the Almighty!?"

Fair enough, I suppose (not really), but how do you know God isn't lying at any given time? He has no moral imperative to tell the truth, the rules about lying don't apply to him, and hey, who are we to question him? The apologetics are pretty clear on this.

So, how does a Christian trust any single word written in the Bible or allegedly said by God? Any traits they give him (like holding to his covenants) are all told to us... by God. How do we know he holds his covenants?

So, Christians: how can you trust God?
Well it's God, and since all morality comes from God, God doesn't have to behave morally and is still moral!

See? Christian circular logic solves everything! Just add -because God and anything you like becomes true!
RE: Why do Christians trust YHWH?
Either they grew up on the happier parts, and ignored the horrible parts, or they just think there's nothing they can do about it, so they might as well go along with it. You don't want to be tortured in hell for eternity, do you?

Sometimes I wonder why christians even stay in the religion at all, and I realize that some really don't. They leave, and never look back. Some do because it's easier. They don't want to be ostracized, or risk being wrong.

Stockholm syndrome at its finest.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Good question, Chad. I wonder how many really believe the bullshit they've been fed?
Yeah, we is all brainwashed dumb folk.
Cain't help ourselves.

When someone said we Christians are all brainwashed, Barry McGuire (eve of destruction song) replied, -
the difference is we have CHOSEN Who we want to wash our brains........
(April 5, 2014 at 8:35 pm)professor Wrote: Yeah, we is all brainwashed dumb folk.
Cain't help ourselves.

When someone said we Christians are all brainwashed, Barry McGuire (eve of destruction song) replied, - the difference is we have CHOSEN Who we want to wash our brains........

Couldn't sed it bettar misefl
(April 5, 2014 at 8:35 pm)professor Wrote: Yeah, we is all brainwashed dumb folk.
Cain't help ourselves.

When someone said we Christians are all brainwashed, Barry McGuire (eve of destruction song) replied, -

That was a shitty song, too.
Cain't help ourselves.

[Image: large.gif]
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
(April 5, 2014 at 8:21 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Good question, Chad. I wonder how many really believe the bullshit they've been fed?

I'm quite certain there are a lot of christians that may just go to church once a week, claim they worship god when asked, and move on with their lives. maybe they try to be good people, and wear their religion like a hat because everyone around them is wearing the same hat. They don't get into heated debates. They don't go to some church group 3+ times a week. They just try to be nice and don't rock the boat.

These are the luke warm christians that I've heard god will spit out because they don't give their all, or make sure they're glorifying god with every single action they take.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(April 5, 2014 at 8:04 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Either they grew up on the happier parts, and ignored the horrible parts, or they just think there's nothing they can do about it, so they might as well go along with it. You don't want to be tortured in hell for eternity, do you?

Sometimes I wonder why christians even stay in the religion at all, and I realize that some really don't. They leave, and never look back. Some do because it's easier. They don't want to be ostracized, or risk being wrong.

Stockholm syndrome at its finest.

Are you saying the genuflect out of fear rather than love, and just don't want to admit it?

Anecdotally, this matches my situation fairly closely. Once I started to realize that I was doubting, I tried to make myself believe more out of fear than anything else. The more I thought about God, the less I saw him as all-loving.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13209 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  South Dakota Schools required to have "In God We Trust" on their walls Cecelia 16 1758 July 29, 2019 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7838 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17612 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Another reason why Christians go to church Alexmahone 40 4791 August 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 3952 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15065 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? Fake Messiah 52 19133 June 28, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Why are Christians obsessed with Gay people? Cecelia 109 18187 January 29, 2017 at 1:37 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  There's a Reason Why Christians do Stupid Things Rhondazvous 37 7018 October 26, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous