Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rape
Rape
Ah, yes... the touchiest of subjects, and understandably so. That being said I'd like to address the following rising post trends that I've seen on Facebook, and other social media;

These irritate me to no end for multiple reasons. Dodgy

First and foremost, rape is not contained to a male perpetrator-female victim paradigm. I think most rational people are aware of this, yet I see it ignored time and time again.

Secondly, the entire concept of "Teach 'Don't Rape' not 'Don't Get Raped'" is entirely ridiculous for two reasons:

1. Why not teach both? Teach both genders about consent, and situation avoidance/handling.

I hear a lot of idealistic horseshit over the latter part of point one, that situation avoidance/handling shouldn't be necessary at all. Yeah, sure, in an ideal world no one would rape/murder/victimize anyone... but that's not the fucking world we live in goddammit. Ignoring reality with your fingers in you ears screaming "Neither my descendants or I should have to deal with this" solves nothing.

2. Since when has teaching determined criminals not to do something worked?

I'll grant a small concession to point two on the grounds that teaching people who don't know any better can lead to reform or prevention... But wagging the proverbial finger at a psychopath who enjoys rape or murder and telling him it's wrong doesn't solve anything, whereas teaching people to avoid certain situations could help.

That's my two cents on this little tidbit about rape, I'd like to hear yours even if it's to tell me I'm wrong and to fuck off.

Cheers.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
RE: Rape
Yeah. The naivitae is galling.

The closest I've come to that sort of mindset was from my professor for a women's study class. It was a film based class. After one particularly gory movie, she made the comment that she didn't see why power wasn't given to women .. "surely they could do no worse than men".

I was forced to point out that if power was the sort of thing that was handed out based on merit, there were also better men for the job. Of course, power isn't dished out that way. It is seized by those ruthless enough to do whatever it takes to get it.
I totally agree with you. Let's not forget that the rapist mind is (not exactly, however metaphorically speaking resumed into a simple words) like this:
  • I want sex.
  • Sex feels good.
  • Therefore you are gonna enjoy it.
  • And if you don't who cares.
  • You are not a person you are here for my pleasure.
  • I find you hot.
  • Therefore you must want sex.
  • And it's your fault for being hot not mine.
  • You don't want me?
  • Then I'm gonna f**k you so hard that you are gonna respect me, love me and fear me.

Rape doesn't happen because it isn't teached well. It happens because people think like animals and they believe that below their waists they have a magic trick that it's gonna make them and everyone else feel better.

I still remember in colleague when one of my teachers was angry because another teacher left a mess in their classrooms and he said:
Quote:That damn bitch I'm gonna fuck her so she knows who I am.

That it's one of the reasons why I hate Islam and other ways of thinking that it's the woman responsibility to be demure. Because if she isn't demure it's her fault for being assaulted.

Because the typical rapist argument is: She provoked me.
An idea that is promoted today as well by all the dicks: Sure you didn't provoked him?

And WHAT I HATE THE MOST ARE THE WOMEN THAT TO GET WHAT THEY WANT THEY LIE CLAIMING THEY WERE RAPED. For me they are the worst.

And I'm not a fan of the whole: "To many sexual partners in man good, to many sexual partners in woman bad" as well.

Bottom line is.

Rape is act that is only perpetrated by pieces of shit.
In my experience, topics about rape can get heated. Please people, stay nice.
(May 23, 2014 at 3:49 am)Starvald Demelain Wrote: 1. Why not teach both? Teach both genders about consent, and situation avoidance/handling.

Here's the issue: this whole concept is a lot more knotty than you'd think.

Just to begin with, all this talk of teaching prevention and risk reduction is just a bandage over a bullet wound anyway, since it's next to impossible to pick who's going to do what, anyway. Sure, you can teach people not to go into dark alleys or accept drinks from strangers, and that's sensible enough advice, but most rapes aren't committed by strangers in dark alleys, that's just a popular stereotype. A lot of rapes occur with someone known to the victim, so what then? You're just gonna teach us all to be on guard around everyone we know, forever? Real life just doesn't function in a way in which victim preparedness will ever be enough.

And mostly, victim preparedness is all that's ever taught, when it comes to rape. For all the advancements we've made on this subject, rape is still a curiously socially acceptable crime; it's one of the few where the victim can be said to be "inviting" the crime via the way they dress or act, where the perpetrator can be excused because of any number of things... we live in a culture where sexual dominance over women is seen as a positive, manly trait, and this is the underbelly of that. This is something that needs to be addressed, but for the most part, where the issue isn't simply being ignored, all we seem to get are these preventative measures that just lay yet more of the onus of responsibility for the crime on the victim.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(May 23, 2014 at 5:25 am)Esquilax Wrote: Here's the issue: this whole concept is a lot more knotty than you'd think.

Just to begin with, all this talk of teaching prevention and risk reduction is just a bandage over a bullet wound anyway, since it's next to impossible to pick who's going to do what, anyway. Sure, you can teach people not to go into dark alleys or accept drinks from strangers, and that's sensible enough advice, but most rapes aren't committed by strangers in dark alleys, that's just a popular stereotype. A lot of rapes occur with someone known to the victim, so what then? You're just gonna teach us all to be on guard around everyone we know, forever? Real life just doesn't function in a way in which victim preparedness will ever be enough.

And mostly, victim preparedness is all that's ever taught, when it comes to rape. For all the advancements we've made on this subject, rape is still a curiously socially acceptable crime; it's one of the few where the victim can be said to be "inviting" the crime via the way they dress or act, where the perpetrator can be excused because of any number of things... we live in a culture where sexual dominance over women is seen as a positive, manly trait, and this is the underbelly of that. This is something that needs to be addressed, but for the most part, where the issue isn't simply being ignored, all we seem to get are these preventative measures that just lay yet more of the onus of responsibility for the crime on the victim.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly with all of this. In no way do I find preventative measures to be a solution, I'm not sure that there is one to be found but I tend to be pessimistic when it comes to human criminality. I'm just saying that the rising trend of demonizing preventative talks is incredibly unhelpful and annoying.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
Rape won't ever go away, bad people do bad things. I also hate those stupid signs telling us to teach men not to rape. We teach everyone not to steal or murder but those still happen. Just like with getting burgled and getting in a car accident, you can take all the precautions possible to prevent rape but it could still happen.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Re: RE: Rape
This is what the rapest should see.
[Image: uhe2uhu5.jpg]
(May 23, 2014 at 3:49 am)Starvald Demelain Wrote: 2. Since when has teaching determined criminals not to do something worked?

I'll grant a small concession to point two on the grounds that teaching people who don't know any better can lead to reform or prevention... But wagging the proverbial finger at a psychopath who enjoys rape or murder and telling him it's wrong doesn't solve anything, whereas teaching people to avoid certain situations could help.
I think your "small concession" may be bigger than you think. IOW, rape isn't just done by "determined criminals." A lot of rape results from the incorrect idea that a drunk woman can give consent. A campaign in Canada a few years ago to combat that notion was followed by a 10% decrease in reported sexual assaults.
I think rape on the whole probably doesn't happen how most people imagine it. Like Esq mentioned, most of the time rape happens by people who already know each other. Not some guy lurking down a street alley. It's not as black and white like that.

I imagine most rapes happen as a result of people being too drunk to know what they're actually doing. There was an ad campaign in the UK aimed at teenagers about this very thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gEftWCG5Ow

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Down RE: Rape Apologetics no one 6 670 July 23, 2021 at 9:58 am
Last Post: no one
  Harvey Weinstein guilty of rape charges, turns himself in dimitrios10 0 269 May 26, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: dimitrios10
  Feminist Threatens to Rape Herself Anonymously LOL Shell B 38 10600 August 26, 2015 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Differing degrees of rape? lifesagift 154 18485 October 22, 2014 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Guns = rape Napoléon 34 5969 May 30, 2014 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What to do if someone tries to rape you Mudhammam 143 22123 March 25, 2014 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
  [split] I like to necropost :) (was Feminist reports rape threat made by self) Mothonis 6 3731 December 31, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Violet
  The Kewt Way to Fight Rape Culture thesummerqueen 12 3787 December 15, 2012 at 7:11 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  We're all rape-supporters! Creed of Heresy 25 9453 August 21, 2012 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Male Rape - An Invisible Problem Hovik 76 22639 June 22, 2012 at 6:15 am
Last Post: Tiberius