Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maleficent Big Spoiler
Maleficent Big Spoiler
Why can't Hollywood get that women have ideas outside of men?! The minute I heard Maleficent turned evil because of some guy that did her wrong I lost all interest in seeing this movie. Can I go to just ONE movie where I get a strong, smart female protagonist who's life story isn't inspired by a man in any way shape or form?!
RE: Maleficent
I'm just gonna point out that, as far as I know, there are no men in movies whose life stories don't rely on women (Superman, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Doctor Manhattan, Constantine, the guy from the Mass Effect movie). Is that bad? Maybe. Is it realistic? Yes. Men and women need each other and interact with each other and develop bonds stronger than within their own gender, most of the time.
However, there ARE women protagonists whose life stories aren't inspired by men. I recall one at the moment. Her name is Alissa Vincent. She was the protagonist in "Dead Space: Downfall". She was the only one to find out (through trial and error) that the best way to kill Necromorphs is by shooting at their joints; not the torsos. And I do mean "the ONLY one". The other guys and a second woman just picked up cutters from someone outside their group, who told them that the "things" couldn't handle being cut.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?

[Image: LB_Header_Idea_A.jpg]
(May 31, 2014 at 11:12 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Why can't Hollywood get that women have ideas outside of men?! The minute I heard Maleficent turned evil because of some guy that did her wrong I lost all interest in seeing this movie. Can I go to just ONE movie where I get a strong, smart female protagonist who's life story isn't inspired by a man in any way shape or form?!

Oh no! Confused Fall Spoiler alert would have been nice BrokenQuill now I can't watch it either
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
(May 31, 2014 at 12:50 pm)vodkafan Wrote:
(May 31, 2014 at 11:12 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Why can't Hollywood get that women have ideas outside of men?! The minute I heard Maleficent turned evil because of some guy that did her wrong I lost all interest in seeing this movie. Can I go to just ONE movie where I get a strong, smart female protagonist who's life story isn't inspired by a man in any way shape or form?!

Oh no! Confused Fall Spoiler alert would have been nice BrokenQuill now I can't watch it either
Oopsy
RE: Maleficent Big Spoiler

Anime is good for that. Tongue

Hey! Isn't your avatar Homura Akemi? There's a smart female protagonist of a movie that has almost no male characters, let alone men in her past. Bam. Wink
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

So, you'd rather that Maleficent became a deranged, evil, murderous bitch who goes about poisoning teenagers WITHOUT having been wronged by a male?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 31, 2014 at 1:17 pm)Esquilax Wrote:

Anime is good for that. Tongue

Hey! Isn't your avatar Homura Akemi? There's a smart female protagonist of a movie that has almost no male characters, let alone men in her past. Bam. Wink
Omg I've been wondering what my avatar was! It's Homura? That's fucking awesome! Cthulhu put it up for me so I wasn't sure what it was I just said I wAnted a magical girl.

This is just within the context of Hollywood though, anime is a whole other ball game. The two simply can't compare.

(May 31, 2014 at 1:25 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

So, you'd rather that Maleficent became a deranged, evil, murderous bitch who goes about poisoning teenagers WITHOUT having been wronged by a male?

Boru

Yes!

Why can't it be

Stabbed in the back by a friend

Got framed for a crime

Used her powers poorly

Fell in with the wrong crowd

Took her experiments with magic too far

Lost a child or other family member

Simply went mad
(May 31, 2014 at 1:29 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Yes!

Why can't it be

Stabbed in the back by a friend

Got framed for a crime

Used her powers poorly

Fell in with the wrong crowd

Took her experiments with magic too far

Lost a child or other family member

Simply went mad

Like Britney Spears?
BrokenQuill92, I'd like to hear your opinion on Alissa Vincent. I can give you her life story if you'd like. Otherwise, it seems you were just looking for people to confirm your opinion, as you've shot down others who said things you didn't say in your OP (characters not from Hollywood movies), but have completely ignored mine. Is it because I'm new here? Is there a reason beyond what I believe to be the most obvious, if somewhat sad, conclusion?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?

[Image: LB_Header_Idea_A.jpg]
Here's a few off the top of my head:

Contact, Aliens, Dirty Dancing, Gorillas in the Mist, Silence of the Lambs, Pretty In Pink, Carrie.

Although not the lead, I found Dench's portrayal of M to be as good as it gets.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SPOILER ALERT: Black Mirror - Bandersnatch (Interactive Movie) GrandizerII 0 223 December 29, 2018 at 1:22 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Before the Big Bang Jehanne 2 529 February 17, 2017 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  "The Arrival" (Spoiler Free(cause I haven't seen it)) Exian 40 4290 February 6, 2017 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Big Brother Over The Top c172 3 881 October 3, 2016 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: c172
  Big Brother 18 (U.S.) c172 2 647 June 14, 2016 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Jay-Z stole this melody to produce "big pimpin" WinterHold 2 1103 December 16, 2015 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Maleficent Chad32 13 1551 June 8, 2014 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Chad32
  Saw Godzilla tonight. It was... (SPOILER) Mudhammam 29 5231 May 27, 2014 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Bittersmart
  Big Lies cratehorus 4 1553 October 13, 2012 at 8:21 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Big Mike Explains the Budget Deficits * Minimalist 7 1736 April 26, 2011 at 9:56 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko