Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intelligent Design: Did you design your intelligent designer?
For those who believe in intelligent design I'd like to ask, did you yourself make up the idea of an intelligent designer? When we look at world literature we find lots and lots of mythical figures. It isn't likely that anyone in those cultures came up with them for the express purpose of controlling the masses. Far more likely it just tells us something about how the human mind works when it comes to existential questions. So isn't it far more likely that the Christian god (the one which every intelligent designer seems to have in mind) is to be understood in this context than in the fields of science and logic?
RE: Intelligent Design: Did you design your intelligent designer?
(May 31, 2014 at 1:11 pm)whateverist Wrote: For those who believe in intelligent design I'd like to ask, did you yourself make up the idea of an intelligent designer? When we look at world literature we find lots and lots of mythical figures. It isn't likely that anyone in those cultures came up with them for the express purpose of controlling the masses. Far more likely it just tells us something about how the human mind works when it comes to existential questions. So isn't it far more likely that the Christian god (the one which every intelligent designer seems to have in mind) is to be understood in this context than in the fields of science and logic?

If the intelligent design whackaloons could have designed their designer, they'd all be nine feet tall with wings, Adonis bodies and wedding tackle that would shame a Grand National winner.

So I'm going to guess....no.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Yes and no. We design our own morality but not totally. We have a frame of reference and work with something in us. The same is true of God. Yes we design him, but it's not totally without frame of reference. We are correct in as much as we are in tune with the divine innate connection. The same is true of our morals. We can never grasp either objective morality or God, so we will always be a bit off.
[Image: nybu8ary.jpg]
What didn't you understand?
Why you haven't given consideration to the social contract, for one.

The rest of the words, for another.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 31, 2014 at 4:17 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: We can never grasp either objective morality or God,...

Stands to reason since neither exists.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2883 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How did u feel when you deconverted? Lebneni Murtad 32 5033 October 27, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 1964 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Why and How Did you Kill God? ScienceAf 67 11339 August 28, 2016 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Intelligent Design Veritas 1021 155059 January 16, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  How did you become an atheist? Excited Penguin 256 33068 December 26, 2015 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Did your former religion ever make you feel broken? Cecelia 19 5431 November 11, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: abaris
  When, Where, How and Why did you become Atheist? bambi_swag 122 27389 October 18, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Why did you come to this board? Kingpin 131 19897 August 18, 2015 at 8:38 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How long did it take for you to deconvert? What made you change your mind? IanHulett 27 7732 August 6, 2015 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy