Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it odd for an Atheist to perform religious rituals?
Is it odd for an Atheist to perform religious rituals?
As an Atheist(more specifically igtheist) I love doing religious things. I am perhaps one of the few atheists(in the world) who worships a god of some sort. It is not that I secretly believe in a god(I don't), it is just that I am very fond of religion and the things associated with it. I find deities as useful to our lives as any mythological or heroic figure. Essentially just practical hero worship. I sort of came to this conclusion when I was a Hindu and tried creating a god that was not bound by sabda and it proved fatal after years of attempting.
God does not exist apart from the very words I speak and this alone is all that is the existence of god.
[Image: tumblr_n8f4c0zuQE1twxzjco1_1280.png]
RE: Is it odd for an Atheist to perform religious rituals?
How did it prove "fatal"? Who died as a result of your attempts to create a god?
It's not uncommon for atheists to attend worship services with family members on occasion. Some are attracted to the social structure that many religions naturally provide and attempt to mingle with various groups despite their personal convictions.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
I don't think its odd, a lot of people like to keep Christmas in their life and enjoy the festive feeling it produces, but that doesn't mean one has to believe in it, just like watching a movie, we can enjoy it and feel part of it, but at the same time knowing its not real.
(July 10, 2014 at 1:39 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: How did it prove "fatal"? Who died as a result of your attempts to create a god?

God. Nietzsche was right dude. Science has killed god while philosophy did that centuries ago.

(July 10, 2014 at 1:47 am)Bad Writer Wrote: It's not uncommon for atheists to attend worship services with family members on occasion. Some are attracted to the social structure that many religions naturally provide and attempt to mingle with various groups despite their personal convictions.

This always reminds me of what the Mimamsa philosophy concludes about the existence of gods. In this dharmic philosophy, gods do not exist until you recite their names and they cease existing when you stop saying their names. Essentially this school of thought in Hinduism was entirely based upon ontological theories. Gods are just very useful things to humans no different then America and it's forefathers. We all know damn well that George Washington was a slave owning white cracker and not this shining beacon of morality. But we deluded ourselves into thinking otherwise because it gives us hope and something to look up to. I fully understand why people would want an all powerful and all good god but I on the other hand have no need for it beyond what I can imitate or perceive.

Sorry dude, I just really love philosophy Big Grin. Science is overrated. Philosophy is where it is at!
The real question is, does it matter if someone finds it to be odd? Do what makes you happy. As long as you're not hurting anyone I won't judge you.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(July 10, 2014 at 2:26 am)Rabb Allah Wrote:

So which god character did you kill off? There are thousands of the critters.
(July 10, 2014 at 3:02 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(July 10, 2014 at 2:26 am)Rabb Allah Wrote:

So which god character did you kill off? There are thousands of the critters.
Pretty much all of them except for a Deistic god. I really wanna refute that thoroughly but it is fucking hard. It is such a vague notion of a god that it makes it scientifically hard to disprove and is in the same league an pantheism.
Gotta stab both those forms of theism with the Dagger of Skepticism.
They'll all come back to haunt you when you need them most.
The "dagger of the mind" will turn on you for turning your back on your "imagination".
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 10, 2014 at 4:05 am)ignoramus Wrote: They'll all come back to haunt you when you need them most.
The "dagger of the mind" will turn on you for turning your back on your "imagination".

Wow, I am not sure if what you said was really deep or just drug induced

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Having religious friends when you're atheist Bahana 15 2644 March 10, 2019 at 1:37 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist John V 99 17551 November 8, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Amos Yee : Atheist arrested twice for "intention to wound religious feelings" Incognito 20 6941 January 14, 2017 at 8:45 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist? Phosphorescent Panties 83 14312 April 12, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  How can someone convert from Atheist to Religious Heat 65 9526 November 26, 2015 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Religious kids more likely to be cunts than atheist ones Napoléon 12 2785 November 6, 2015 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  I Find This Odd. Do You? Rhondazvous 6 1572 June 25, 2015 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12772 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Religious Faith vs. Atheist Conviction sven 24 6868 April 13, 2014 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Shit Atheist Say To Religious People Cholley71 7 4070 August 9, 2013 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Bad Writer