Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who do you tell you are atheist?
Who do you tell you are atheist?
Alright, hopefully this isn't already a topic somewhere. I couldn't find something recent about this, so I figure I'll make a topic.
I'm wondering who you guys decide you will tell you are atheist.
I remind my mom when she is harassing me and any friends/ acquaintances/ strangers I'll tell pretty openly. But recently I've been wondering about telling a significant other's family or your boss or something like that- where what they think of you could end up putting you at a "disadvantage".
For example, my current boyfriend's family is pretty religious (not like super crazy religious, but religious enough that I think my atheism could be bothersome). I'm worried at some point the topic will come up and I'm not sure how to respond. A part of me thinks it is best to stay on their good side and just lie, but the other part of me is sassy and doesn't give a fuck (and would frankly be a bit embarassed to be thought of as a Christian).
[I'm not looking for advice on what I should do, I'm just curious on who you guys are open to telling]
RE: Who do you tell you are atheist?
Everyone . . . if it comes up

Especially those who try to prosletyse to me.
Dying to live, living to die.
Damn Beccs, you have some pro posting speed.
Yeah, people who proselytize me definitely get to know... Big Grin
Anyone who asks, proselytizers doubly so. Nobody who doesn't.

It's not a big part of my identity, and so isn't all that relevant, unless it comes up.
(October 22, 2014 at 4:13 pm)Sedna Wrote: Damn Beccs, you have some pro posting speed.
Yeah, people who proselytize me definitely get to know... Big Grin

I told this story a few weeks ago.

I was sitting at a bus stop when I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. I looked over and a couple of Mormons were heading straight towards me. When they were close I said, "I'm and atheist and not interested guys. Keep walking, please."

They responded with, "Oh, an atheist. Well, we're just handing out some leaflet - "

And I repeated, "Not interested. What part of move along isn't clear?"
Dying to live, living to die.
Anyone who takes the time to ask, I guess.

Must be stated though that I live in a country where people aren't hostile to atheists and/or people who don't share the beliefs of others, so I couldn't say it'd be the same in every country/society.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I tend to want to be pretty neutral around family, especially since my mother still watches me like a hawk to make sure I don't embarrass her. So, at dinner parties that my parents drag me to, including Thanksgiving, I won't ever bring it up unless I am explicitly and non-judgementally asked. My parents friends know where I stand pretty much, so it's not a problem.

But I definitely bring it up if I am being proselytyzed by a stranger, and in the holiday season, it happens quite a bit. I am disabled. People can't shut up about how much they pity me, and in Christians' case, it means discussing the bible with me.

I will say that whether I actually engage in the ensuing argument depends on my mood at that point. There's nothing I hate worse than people not listening to me, and many Christians just. Don't. Listen. So, because I can't stand speaking into a vacuum, I often move on with life at that point. I've always had trouble convincing others to adopt my way of thinking.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Anybody who asks, and occasionally those who assume something else.

But I don't necessarily find it necessary to go around asserting I'm atheist. I also don't go around assert that I have Libertarian tendencies. Smile

But that's being flip, to a serious question. No, I wouldn't tell a Christian boss, just to educate him, or to relieve my mind. Given a straight question I would. I have very carefully not announced to my in-laws without lying, at least not yet. Why? Because my husband's not out and with his family I feel it's his call. With mine, I'm out.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
It's amazing how seldom the subject comes up.
In my country usually noone gives a damn. If asked I tell everyone, if not, I keep it to myself.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 9067 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92798 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7050 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Don't tell a Religious person "There is no God" Heat 46 8086 October 25, 2015 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mikazuki
  Why tell anyone? John V 53 9513 April 13, 2014 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  How to tell parents I'm an atheist Creeper23782 63 14808 April 4, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  would you tell your parents one day that you are an atheist ? Marsellus Wallace 71 12434 March 15, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
Question Could you tell me hesoyam 0 934 July 10, 2013 at 5:28 am
Last Post: hesoyam
  What do I tell my kid? meak 20 8044 May 31, 2013 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  This is how I feel when Christians tell me they are Oppressed Handprint 19 9381 December 16, 2011 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Jackalope