Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some rather personal advice
Need some rather personal advice
Ideally, I'd post this in the 18+ section, but I haven't dinged 60 days in my membership yet. This is also kind of long winded, so please bear with me.

Succinctly put, I'd like to find a mate/spouse/significant other, but I have no idea how, nor if I can ultimately be successful in finding one.

Like I mentioned in my intro post and in some other posts, I'm physically disabled. Specifically, I have Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita. The long and short of it is physical disability from birth, consisting of deformities in my joints and missing muscle groups. I've had ~43 or so surgeries since birth (you lose track after a while...) to give me what mobility and strength I do have, with some assorted other things (rods in my back, plates in each hip, etc.).

Because of that, I need constant care. When I'm in my electric wheelchair, I'm somewhat self-sufficient, so long as my tray is attached and I can reach things. But I need help in the activities of daily living department (food prep, laundry, toilet, showers, in/out of bed, that sort of thing).

With all of that is a heaping dose of doubt in myself on that part. Is it possible for me to find someone that would still be able to look at me as an equal partner and not a patient? Can I be an equal partner? Would I be happy having someone I love do all of those things for me?

I'd like to find out. The other problem, linked to the first, is that I don't really have an opportunity to go out and meet people. I live at the home I've always lived in. Presently, my retired mother takes care of me. I cannot drive myself to places (I can drive my wheelchair, but not my accessible van). So the one two punch of needing a chaperone to bring me places and "hey, wanna come back to my place? You can meet my mom" is a pretty big hurdle. Not that I don't love my mom, of course. Big Grin

How can I meet people? Dating sites seem kind of fishy, especially since you need to pay them before you can really do anything. The blind first date thing really isn't feasible, either, given the logistics laid out above. Is there a place online where you can just meet people first, then move on? I'm not interested in sex (well, that's a lie Tongue ), but rather a lasting relationship.

I have had one previous relationship before, way back at the end of high school/beginning of college. But, being a dumb 19/20 year old, I messed it up. I'm now nearly 35 Undecided I have reconnected with her, but she's been in a committed relationship since our breakup, so we're just friends, which is incredibly bittersweet from my perspective.

So, with all that said, I'm lonely, but I'm not sure how, or even if, I can remedy it. I love my family and friends, but I want more.

I'm really interested in hearing your advice, especially from any female members that may read this. Would any of you enter or stay in a relationship knowing up front all of the extra work and logistical issues it would entail? Like, say, wiping my butt (gross, but, reality)? Are there any places online where you can get to know people without entering blind date hell?
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
RE: Need some rather personal advice
You know, I think dating sites are probably the way to go for you. I don't use them myself, but my younger brother met his wife on one (okcupid) and there are lots of people I know who use them to meet people. Also I feel like you are far less likely to meet someone super weird as a male. They aren't nearly as fishy as they were ten years ago. They've become part of the mainstream and you can lay out all this stuff as part of your profile so there isn't any surprises to the person you meet. Plus you can talk to someone online via skype or something so they can get to know you as a person before thinking of you as somebody who is disabled. If you aren't a superficial person, and somehow I assume that you are not, then your dating pool can be quite large. Just bite down and pay whatever charge (not really that major of an expense mostly) and try it out. That would be my recommendation.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Kevin,

I understand completely why you would want more. But I'm not at all sure how that can be arranged though I am going to take a stab at it.

I think that if you used a on-line dating service and disclosed your condition you would not get many, if any responses to your profile or inquiries. If you didn't disclose your condition and sprung it on a first date, the results would not be good either. So I would forget the dating sites.

I suggest you get to know women you admire on-line for their brains and personalities on non-dating sites. Once you have established mutual liking, you might then explain your circumstances. With luck, she'll already be hooked enough on you to be willing to give the physical you a try. What you should not do is court her (a very old fashioned word) until you have made your disclosure. What you should do, is make very good friends with her first.

Now, don't take any of my advice as the word of all woman or the best possible advice. I've only described how I imagine you might have caught me were I younger and single. Maybe other women will have better advice.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Jacks going to be a dull boy if Jenny raises him right...lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
There you have it, two contradictory posts right out of the box.Tongue
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(December 19, 2014 at 9:25 pm)Jenny A Wrote: There you have it, two contradictory posts right out of the box.Tongue

Haha, of course. Not that I think your advice is bad, it's good advice. In fact there is no reason why he couldn't do both. I think there are some advantages to using a dating site though, the main one being that you can find people in your area. Where as on some random online site they might have to relocate. Already whoever is going to be involved is going to be burdened enough as it is without the additional burden of having to relocate. Also maybe he doesn't get hits on the dating site, he can still peruse other people as much as he likes and if he's not that superficial I'd imagine there are lots of women out there who are not superficial either.
And there's the possibility of looking for a disabled woman:

Disabled Passions 100% Free Disabled Dating & Social Networking, Disabled Personals & Disability Chat

http://dating4disabled.com/

Seems there's a site for every dating situation imaginable.

(December 19, 2014 at 9:31 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(December 19, 2014 at 9:25 pm)Jenny A Wrote: There you have it, two contradictory posts right out of the box.Tongue

Haha, of course. Not that I think your advice is bad, it's good advice. In fact there is no reason why he couldn't do both. I think there are some advantages to using a dating site though, the main one being that you can find people in your area. Where as on some random online site they might have to relocate. Already whoever is going to be involved is going to be burdened enough as it is without the additional burden of having to relocate. Also maybe he doesn't get hits on the dating site, he can still peruse other people as much as he likes and if he's not that superficial I'd imagine there are lots of women out there who are not superficial either.

Location is indeed a point.
Not on topic (Sorry) but I keep getting confused by people replying to you because my name is Kevin.
I'm almost certain there are dating sites for people with disabilities. I've never been on them before so I don't know if they cost money or not.

I'm a bit of an anti social freak, I've only ever met women from online. Yahoo, camfrog, plenty of fish and fab swingers. I full recommend the internet to anyone. It's like trying to sell something using amazon vs trying to sell something at your local town market.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I would also recommend online dating, probably on a site geared towards disabled people.

I can relate somewhat to your situation. I wanted to find love, but came to the realisation that I am so picky about the kind of woman I would want to be with, that just hoping to meet one was going to be near impossible. I won't bore you with the details, but I'm not talking about any superficial things, but rather stances on important issues. Things that matter to me too much to compromise about in a relationship.

Since meeting my wonderful wife (online), I got struck down very quickly with chronic fatigue syndrome, and have been off work with it ever since. Because we can't afford any sort of care, she does a lot to look after me as well as looking after the house, when I am too tired to do things myself. She is partially my carer, but it in no way detracts from our relationship. When she is ill I step up and look after her too, I dig deep and find the energy to do things for her in the short term, then I crash when she gets better.

So I don't think what you seek is impossible, and although your care situation is very different to mine, I don't think that a potential partner who really loves you would be unable to deal with your situation.

It's best in my opinion to be totally up front about it all on your profile (if you go the online route) so that you know anyone who contacts you is already partially on board.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 801 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  Your personal decision Foxaèr 7 848 February 21, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  ‘Would You Rather’ Scenarios BrianSoddingBoru4 25 1388 June 26, 2022 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Headaches and your Personal Experience. Disagreeable 26 882 February 11, 2022 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Duty
Bug Is your personal web site malicious? JohnMBauer 8 694 May 24, 2020 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Succubus#2
  Advice about patience Macoleco 4 554 March 26, 2020 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Music The best advice someone gave you. onlinebiker 65 6239 April 14, 2019 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The WORST Advice Someone Ever Gave You BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1089 April 14, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Inspired rather than random thoughts tackattack 20 1898 November 24, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: tackattack
  I'll need some help with this. notimportant1234 26 1862 March 10, 2018 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama