Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Directionality in evolution without intelligent guidance
Directionality in evolution without intelligent guidance
I've always been interested in the idea that evolution is a directional process, not because it's guided by a creator, but due to a natural property of emergent behavior in complex systems. The history of life on earth seems to show certain trends:

1)The maximum degree of encephalization present on the planet has increased over time.
2)The maximum degree of complexity has increased over time.
3)The depth of mutualistic symbiotic relationships has increased over time in some species.

Now, I get the idea that if life here had a beginning and that life doesn't evolve into unlife, that due to the 'drunken walk' there is a tendency towards order, but I see a bit more than that. Part of this is from studying Dual Inheritance Theory. If this theory is correct, then the species in which is happens (humans, whales, a few others) have evolved the capacity to evolve on an entirely different scale that isn't dependent on DNA or random mutations. However, when I try to talk about this, it always comes back to the idea of 'humans are special', which seems to be anathema to the scientific atheist crown, because it's associated with xtian ideas. But that's not why see intelligence as being special - it's the large brain's ability to evolve culturally and potentially to use cultural evolution to directly guide genetic evolution.

Thoughts?
My book, a setting for fantasy role playing games based on Bantu mythology: Ubantu
RE: Directionality in evolution without intelligent guidance
1) The big brain is a means to an end, and it's not certain that the big brain is the only route to achieving those means or that end. So while we may say "brains have gotten bigger" we might also say "so what - weeds are still better chemist than we are, some big brain".

2)This one is a bit slippery, over what span of time, and how are we measuring complexity?

3)Another slippery one, how have you determined this, by what metrics?

There's no "tendency towards order" that I can see, there is only the tenacity of life. In any case, a selective force by any name would smell as sweet. We could call it "cultural evolution" if we liked, but if cultural evolution is equivalent to biological evlolution, it's usage turns into a wedge awfully quick. Give me some example of one, which is not the other (the examples in the wiki are troubling...would we call lactose tolerance "cultural evolution" in any other species, or would we chalk that up to adaptation to available food sources)?

End of the day though, I also see the brain as special - but I can;t really think of any way to determine that it is special, while the photosynthetic apparatus is not (or which is more or less so). If I removed one....the other would cease to be (and that relationship doesn't favor us in the least). So...meh? As you said..the notion seems so convenient and self serving...even the metrics are likely to be convenient and self serving.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
What the fuck is scientific atheism?
(January 21, 2015 at 4:58 pm)LastPoet Wrote: What the fuck is scientific atheism?

The secret phrase to make me immediately stop reading any OP.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(January 21, 2015 at 4:58 pm)LastPoet Wrote: What the fuck is scientific atheism?

Science that eats babies.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 21, 2015 at 3:42 pm)tantric Wrote: I've always been interested in the idea that evolution is a directional process, not because it's guided by a creator, but due to a natural property of emergent behavior in complex systems. The history of life on earth seems to show certain trends:

1)The maximum degree of encephalization present on the planet has increased over time.
2)The maximum degree of complexity has increased over time.
3)The depth of mutualistic symbiotic relationships has increased over time in some species.

Now, I get the idea that if life here had a beginning and that life doesn't evolve into unlife, that due to the 'drunken walk' there is a tendency towards order, but I see a bit more than that. Part of this is from studying Dual Inheritance Theory. If this theory is correct, then the species in which is happens (humans, whales, a few others) have evolved the capacity to evolve on an entirely different scale that isn't dependent on DNA or random mutations. However, when I try to talk about this, it always comes back to the idea of 'humans are special', which seems to be anathema to the scientific atheist crown, because it's associated with xtian ideas. But that's not why see intelligence as being special - it's the large brain's ability to evolve culturally and potentially to use cultural evolution to directly guide genetic evolution.

Thoughts?

The bolded statement is not controversial. Homo sapiens is the only species that understands evolution and can counter it and/or guide it.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
There are species which seem to have guided evolution without having any understanding (at least, nothing we'd call "understanding"..despite not actually knowing what our own "understanding" -is-.). Did the bee domesticate the flower, or did the flower domesticate the bee? For that matter, did we domesticate our crops, or did our crops domesticate us?

I like big brains too, and - while I'd wonder if we could counter evolution, we can certainly guide it......but I don't think that this takes a brain to accomplish, big or small. Seems more to me like we put alot stock into stuff when -we- do it, with -our- big brains (while simultaneously deriding the same effect in other creatures as something different). We use terminology that we reserve for ourselves (despite it fitting a wide range of other creatures equally well)....... that might be just a little bit of an issue of fandom, and not so much a deep or insightful observation on our parts.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
1 & 2) Starting from no brains, it isn't surprising that the slope of the brain size vs time function is positive. As the width of the distribution of brain sizes increases, you pretty much have to have some big brains in the upper tail. There are enough examples (parasites who have given up not only their neural complexity, but their digestive systems) to show that brains don't only increase in size and complexity.
3) Again the increase in complex interactions could just be the spread of individuals to fill niches within a limited solution space.

Evolution solves problems of survival and reproduction using the tools it has at hand and only to the degree required. It isn't goal directed to, for instance, make bigger brains for their own sakes. Even if bigger brains are a competitive advantage, they may be restrained by other factors like pelvis size in live bearing mammals.

But with respect to culture:
We are special.
Our big brains have moved the information transfer between individuals and generations in a whole new way. No longer is it only via chemical sequences in DNA/RNA or behaviors like spoken language. Now we have writing. We started with clay tablets and now have tech stable over centuries like xerography or graving on laquer disks (audio).
Oral or behavioral (e.g. teaching your friends to clean yams by washing away the dirt link) transmission is limited to direct contact between individuals. Writing transfers information laterally and longitudinally.
It remains to be seen if the increased speed of evolutionary changes we've added to culture will be its undoing. The rocket is flying, but is showing signs that it might explode at any time.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
(January 21, 2015 at 9:27 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Did the bee domesticate the flower, or did the flower domesticate the bee?
What would be the difference?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I don't agree that humans can change evolution, humans are just part of evolution. Evolution is "what happens". If you want to say we are changing it, you have to redefine it to mean "what happens without someone fucking around with it too much". May be semantics, but I think it's important.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intelligent Design Is Pseudoscience: Creationist Lies About Evolution Debunked CodeDNA 7 1016 April 22, 2023 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: no one
  Without rape, most animal species would go extinct Alexmahone 34 4419 May 25, 2018 at 11:25 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  47 days (!!!) without a poo, OMFG . . . . vorlon13 14 1134 March 10, 2018 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Blind evolution or intelligent design? ignoramus 12 1958 August 2, 2017 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why Do Otherwise Intelligent People Succomb to Religion? Rhondazvous 47 8305 October 25, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Intelligent Design: Irreducible Complexity? OfficerVajardian 49 12637 August 17, 2014 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  Intelligent Design triumph! Mudhammam 2 1274 July 17, 2014 at 7:05 am
Last Post: FreeTony
  Intelligent Design, Proof VI - Instincts Muslim Scholar 57 22869 October 30, 2013 at 9:45 am
Last Post: orogenicman
Lightbulb Intelligent Design, Proof V Muslim Scholar 75 44143 June 22, 2013 at 10:49 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Intelligent Design, Proof IV Muslim Scholar 97 49913 June 19, 2013 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Esquilax