Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Val Kilmer Illness
Val Kilmer Illness
Cut from from the MSN website since I'm still too new to post links without going through a moderator:

"Are Val Kilmer's religious beliefs preventing him from treating a serious tumor? His family apparently thinks so.

"The actor was rushed to the hospital on Jan. 26 after he began bleeding from his throat. Val reportedly underwent surgery, a claim he has denied, and doctors found a tumor. But, it seems that Val has known about the tumor for some time and chose not to do anything about it.

Val, though, is calling reports on his health "gossip and silly talk." His family isn't buying what he's selling.

Family members told TMZ that they urged Val to seek treatment but he has been refusing to do so because of his Christian Science beliefs. Christian Science followers believe in the power of prayer, rather than medical treatment.

"The family says Val would never confess to pain because it was an admission that prayer didn't work, but when he started coughing up blood Monday his options ran out," the website said."

Ironic, considering he played the lead character in Real Genius.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
RE: Val Kilmer Illness
I feel sad for his family. His crazy religion is causing them a lot of emotional pain.

I didn't know members of Christian Science couldn't get medical treatment
Memo to Kilmer: Praying doesn't do shit.
I had no idea he was a nutjob.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Praying is fine, on the extreme superficial platitude level. Just don't be stupid about it.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 3, 2015 at 7:46 am)Stimbo Wrote: Just don't be stupid about it.

That's an oxymoron.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(February 2, 2015 at 10:38 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: Christian Science followers believe in the power of prayer, rather than medical treatment.

Sounds good to me, that way people this stupid will make themselves disappear from this earth in no time.
(February 3, 2015 at 8:15 am)Aisha Wrote: Sounds good to me, that way people this stupid will make themselves disappear from this earth in no time.

Kind of a religious Darwin award.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Isaac Asimov had a compelling criticism of Christian Scientists in one of his many excellent science essays.

At one timed he lived near a CS church and was disturbed by the racket their roof mounted air conditioning system made. He wondered how a faith that routinely prays away cancer, dread infections, broken bones, etc. could not also simply pray away the sensation of heat.

Hell of a good question, ain't it ???

Gotta luv it when church members demonstrably falsify their own faith !!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 2, 2015 at 10:38 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: "The actor was rushed to the hospital on Jan. 26 after he began bleeding from his throat."

Perhaps he's just reprising his role of Doc Holiday from Tombstone.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religious Fundamentalism 'May Be Categorised As Mental Illness & Cured By Science' downbeatplumb 1 1479 June 1, 2013 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  religion VS mental illness Adventuremrkt 19 6281 April 14, 2013 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: archangle
  How I hva e been healed from an illness that is suposed to be for life Pel 52 19189 January 16, 2012 at 3:39 am
Last Post: Cosmic Ape