Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview with a Jovo
Interview with a Jovo
So we were interviewing for some new cleaning posts which came up at work and I got roped into assisting with them (why an accountant is on a panel for cleaners I don't know, but whatever, was kind of fun I guess) and we had a really sweet woman come in who gave a good account of herself and her experience.

We got down to the details of the role, which included every month working a Saturday or a Sunday with a day off in the week or time in lieu. She flat out refused to work the Sunday citing her religious observance as the reason why: "I have to observe my religion which I'm very passionate about, so I cannot work Sunday's under any circumstances."

This put the cleaning manager under quite some strain as we need cleaners to fill these posts (there is actually a shortage of good cleaners in our local job market apparently), but this was causing bother as we have several other cleaners who'd love to be exempt From working Sunday's but who have also been told they must work.

I thought it was so cheeky of her to request this, especially as the job description clearly stated the working hours. I lobbied the manager to refuse her request as exemptions from work for religious observance is not an acceptable excuse to shirk your responsibilities, and he agreed. We didn't hire her.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
RE: Interview with a Jovo
Good you didn't hire her. If you have personal objections to the responsibilities, don't apply for the goddamn job.

It's so infuriating when religious people demand special treatment just for being unreasonable -_-
It's the way I feel about the case with the headscarf at Abercrombie and Fitch.

If you can't meet the general requirements that a business has for every other employee, you shouldn't get the job. Dress codes and schedules are big things for the majority of businesses.

Edit: clarification
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I agree. That's ridiculous, I'm glad you didn't hire her. She should apply for jobs she is actually willing to do as stated.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I also refuse to work on Sunday's. Well, you know, during football season.
The other day I applied for a job as a baby seal clubber. But of course when they wanted to hire me I made it abundantly clear that I refuse to kill any baby seals. What monster would do such a thing anyway?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I applied for a job, but then once I started it I suddenly started a new religion where I'm required to not do any work but still get paid. It's a very important part of the core doctrine.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(June 10, 2015 at 4:46 am)robvalue Wrote: I applied for a job, but then once I started it I suddenly started a new religion where I'm required to not do any work but still get paid. It's a very important part of the core doctrine.

Reminds me of a political party that ran in the general elections in Germany a few years back, the Anarchistic Pogo Party. Their slogan was something like "Free Beer for all. Work sucks."
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

How did they propose the beer gets made? Tongue

Index of my best videos
Dude, it's free beer. You don't ask how it's made, just hope they don't run out

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Interview Assignment Student 70 4932 November 21, 2019 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Pope says in interview that there is no hell. downbeatplumb 56 9809 April 16, 2018 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Atheist Interview! All knowledgeable Atheists needed! danidare13 19 3902 September 25, 2013 at 11:25 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Interview Drich 93 22190 October 31, 2012 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Tnmusicman