Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 5:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the term "people of color" is ridiculous.
Why the term "people of color" is ridiculous.
I see people put this term out there alot now, and every time I see it I can not help but think that it is a ignorant and belittling write off of non white people. To demonstrate lets take 4 races that are "People of color" and compare them
1. Hispanics
2. Arabs
3. Blacks
4. Natives.

The first group has a very long ancient on the iberian peninsula and have been major players in western politics since they were conquered by Rome. They were a people of renown in the middle ages and drove the age of discovery. Notably they engaged in slavery and often bought aslaves from African princes that had defeated their enemies.

Arabs. They have been prominent in world history since the bronze age, living in the middleast and parts of the Mediterranean. Some notable things are that they are the progneters of many modern sciences and were the last to disengage in slave raids.

Africans/blacks. They are the mother population of humanity and are responsible for a number of great civilizations, the nubians and Carthaginians coming to mind. Contrary to popular belief they were not actively enslaved by the white man but instead enslaved each other as part of the constant intertribal struggles.

Natives of North America. These people lived for 1000s of years with mesolithic technology. Also they have more extensive contact and cultural co-evolution with whites then any race listed above. They also have far fewer heinous war crimes to their name.

Even with just a few sentences you can demonstrate how these cultures often have less in common with each then they do with white people despite all being labelled "people of color". For example if Ethiopian black man and a polyneisan man meet what would they have in common besides skin color? Very little. Where as lets say for a minute that same black man meets a white man, what might they have in common upon meeting? Well religion is a safe bet (Ethiopians have a native form of Christianity).
My final point is that cultures and races swept under the term people of color often have less inncommon with each other then " white people"
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: Why the term "people of color" is ridiculous.
Us honkies have a color too, a nice light pinkish tone that turns to tan under sunlight. It's a cool trick. We're like slow-motion chameleons.

RE: Why the term
(June 13, 2015 at 2:41 am)Parkers Tan Wrote: Us honkies have a color too,  a nice light pinkish tone that turns to tan under sunlight. It's a cool trick.  We're like slow-motion chameleons.

More like slow motion steak being done if you start a light enough pinkish tone.
Red, yellow, and white are colors but according to Color Matters black is not a color. So, the term "people of color," if in reference to black people, is indeed ignorant and belittling; it disrespects the truth about the color black.

Still, they are all precious in His sight.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
I think it's about time the colour of people's skin be relegated to the importance of the colour of their eyes. Come on, people. We're all people. We need to stop it with these ridiculous categories of no real importance.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Watched the new Will Ferrel "Get Hard". Had to laugh when Will described people as "white" or "miscellaneous"...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Weird comparison of things people say and what society interprets them as:

"I'm proud to be black." - A strong, confident person

"I'm proud to be white." - A nazi

They are both dumb things to say, in my opinion.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I agree that the term 'people of colour' makes no sense.

Unless you mean people like these:

[Image: normal.jpeg]

Actually, people really do have colours.  Thing is, all the colours are shades of brown (barring albinism, I mean).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Who you calling colored?

[Image: bluemangroup.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1329 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Congressional Term Limits Aristocatt 30 2864 January 2, 2021 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Aristocatt
  Why People Ignore Facts (Gun Control) Jade-Green Stone 22 1655 December 5, 2018 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why does Politics bring out the worst in so many people? GODZILLA 21 2070 October 10, 2018 at 9:09 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  Why are you American people, careless? A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 27 2202 September 11, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Why Do You Rep People? Jenny A 44 3020 March 29, 2018 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Dems pick LGBT woman of color for SOTU rebuttal John V 10 1880 January 27, 2018 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The 2018 mid-term US elections. Jehanne 18 4536 October 7, 2017 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do people get angry seeing a Burqa ErGingerbreadMandude 65 9792 October 4, 2017 at 11:03 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Why are people so affraid of anarchy? FlatAssembler 152 29979 September 12, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: Amarok