Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
Glad I found this message board, it will be nice to chat with some people who share my same non-beliefs. I grew up in a not too religious family. Parents were too busy drinking/smoking, partying, sleeping around, getting divorced/remarried and pretending everything was fabulous between our lovely blended families to bother taking us to Church. I spent a lot of time with my Grandparents who went to a Baptist church and was forced to sit through long boring services with them a couple times a year. I really never fully bought into the whole God/religious thing. When my sister got Baptized at age 11, I was sitting on the shore thinking this idea of washing away sin in a river was dumb. My super religious Aunt couldn't tell me how if we all came from Adam and Eve, how was the world populated by people when they left the Garden of Eden? Nothing ever made sense to me as a child so I did buy a bunch of Bibles hoping that by reading them something would make sense or Jesus would touch my heart, neither ever happened. For a short while my husband and I even went to church regularly with his grandparents but I felt so wrong giving the church my money so they could give their pastors $20,000 down payments on their homes when they moved here.
In my late 20's my dad was diagnosed with a terminal cancer and given 3-5 years to live. He fought for 4 years. Those had to be some of the most miserable years of his life, he was too sick to see his kids and grandkids and got so much radiation and chemo that his doctors finally told him to stop, he couldn't handle anymore. I held his hand as he passed away and not once during this whole time did I feel like God was there with us. This is when I realized that there is no God and if there was one, he was one sick bastard. I shared my views with my husband and to my relief he agreed with me. We raise our kids without religion to the disbelieve of our families. My MIL had the balls to tell us our kids could never grow up to be moral individuals and know right from wrong without God in their lives! Today at my youngest son's birthday she told them she wears a cross because she is proud to be a Christian. I try and keep our beliefs on the down low because my husband's grandpa is very old, very religious and in poor health, we don't need to send him to his grave any sooner then he needs to. My mom has decided to become religious in her older age and asks me to pray for everything and I finally told her no. She asked if I was going to believe in and worship space aliens next!
If you are still reading, sorry for going on and on! I have plenty to share and rant about with my large religious family!
RE: Hello
Hey, there.  Feel free to unload.  Someone is bound to relate to your story.
Welcome! I hope you enjoy it here.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Welcome, Lynn Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Welcome

Lot's of peeps from the Pacific Northwest here. Join in!

ETA: Unless your last name is Oregon. In that case, I rescind all welcomes. Tongue
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Be sure to barbecue kittens record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off your mattress.
Hi Lynn, welcome to the forums Smile

Thanks for telling us your story. I'm very sorry for your loss.

You got it right, if there is a god, it's not any of the comic book heroes that people generally worship. It is at best unconcerned/absent and at worst evil.

I hope you stick around, and I look forward to hearing more from you. Rant as much as you like! You're among friends here Smile I'm glad your husband shares your scepticism!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Hi Lynn! Hi Welcome to AF! I'm sorry about your dad.

I gots some welcome waffles for you!

Welcome matey ...
Hope you enjoy a long stay here...
(if you're not going to eat all that, can I have some? yummy!)

PS, we need to know if you don't like cats!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 11, 2015 at 11:11 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Welcome

Lot's of peeps from the Pacific Northwest here. Join in!

Word. We're all godless heathens up here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 6015 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3650 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates