Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:29 am

Poll: Are Christianity and Evolution Incompatible?
This poll is closed.
Yes
56.00%
14 56.00%
No
32.00%
8 32.00%
Not Sure
12.00%
3 12.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Evolution and Christianity Completely Incompatible?
Are Evolution and Christianity Completely Incompatible?
This page, <snipped> , gives reasons why evolution and Christianity can't be reconciled. At one part it talks about how the ideologies behind the two are completely different,

Here's just one excerpt :

Quote:Its teachings affect us more than most would like to admit, which are, fundamentally, diametrically opposed to Christianity. In evolution, new species arise from the deaths of others; therefore, death brought man into the world. The Bible teaches the opposite: man brought death into the world (Romans 5:12).
<snipped>

What do you all think? Can someone believe in evolution and Christianity? Or is it as the article puts it, "just kidding yourself"? Even if you don't believe in Christianity, what do you think of people who try to combine evolution with their religion? Thanks
RE: Are Evolution and Christianity Completely Incompatible?
Most Christians accept evolution; one must give up a literal account of The Bible though. Seems to be a big problem for Evangelicals.

[Image: evolution2013-2.png]
That's easy:
Everything that doesn't match science or reality for that matter are all metaphorical and only 'true believers' can understand those deeper meanings.

Anything can be made to reconcile with everything with enough mental gymnastics.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(July 13, 2015 at 4:52 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: Everything that doesn't match science or reality for that matter are all metaphorical

That makes sense. As much as I understand, evolution seems to be the only reason why Christians are even coming up with "metaphoric genesis" theories. I don't see anything in Genesis that makes me think "oh...clearly metaphoric", but just because it conflicts with evolution it must be, right? I'm open to hearing opinions from Christians who do believe we evolved for other species.
This needs a poll. Surprised you didn't include one.

Of course they're incompatible. God is also incompatible with reality, while we're at it, because It/He/She doesn't make any sense. It's just a word people got sentimental over. It doesn't really mean anything. Anyone over the age of twelve knows this. They just like to pretend they don't for some reason.
I think Evolution+Science+Reality, shitty morality( I never understood how someone claims morality came from god after reading the OT), and utter disregard for basic intelligence and common-sense are the primary reasons for seeking alternative explanations.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(July 13, 2015 at 5:07 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: This needs a poll. Surprised you didn't include one.

Good idea. Just added one.
[Image: e4aaf20801a906c4b172f7aa374b625c.jpg]
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(July 13, 2015 at 5:07 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: This needs a poll. Surprised you didn't include one.

Of course they're incompatible. God is also incompatible with reality, while we're at it, because It/He/She doesn't make any sense. It's just a word people got sentimental over. It doesn't really mean anything. Anyone over the age of twelvemental age of 4 knows this. They just like to pretend they don't for some reason.
There, fixed that for you  Angel
- Lau Tzu

Christianity is potentially compatible with anything.
It's one of the benefits of making sh*t up, as one goes along.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the Afro-Asiatic linguistics incompatible with Young-Earth Creationism? FlatAssembler 17 1372 July 13, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  First Council of Nicaea: when Christianity was deformed and Jesus named son of God. WinterHold 50 4063 September 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity Losty 124 11534 July 27, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Evolution and Christianity and Salvation mrj 255 19873 March 14, 2019 at 3:10 pm
  The connection between Christianity and Capitalism Cecelia 43 4565 August 22, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  God is completely inadequate to explain anything whatsoever Whateverist 20 2932 March 14, 2018 at 5:27 pm
  I'm sick and tired of Christianity Der/die AtheistIn 73 10523 December 29, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Christianity And Peace Der/die AtheistIn 12 2812 July 22, 2017 at 1:00 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Christianity and Suicide Der/die AtheistIn 186 39880 July 22, 2017 at 12:53 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Black people and christianity rado84 40 6994 February 1, 2017 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus