Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism/Theism and Left/Right Brain?
Atheism/Theism and Left/Right Brain?
This is just something interesting I've noticed and think maybe a correlation:

-----------------------
The argument:
"People who are Atheist tend to be male and left-brained while Theists tend to be more female and right-brained. Maybe Atheism and theism is something deeply genetic."
-----------------------------------

-----------------------------------
Why I think so:

We all know that the Left-Brain is associated with Logic, Reason, and Concrete/tactile data. While the Right brain is associated with feelings, creativity and intuition/abstract data.

First reason why I think this is so is because of the boiled down arguments atheists and theists make. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the theist arguement boils down to a sort of "I can *feel* God's Existence", while the atheist arguement boils down to "I can't see, touch, or find any hard *evidence* of God". Don't you see the left-brain, right-brain arguement structure here?

Likewise, if you guys keep up with politics don't you notice that very secular people are more liberal and "*left*-wing" while religious people tend to be more conservative and "*right*-wing"? If you think about it, communism is a *logical* theoretical structure while a theocracy is *feeling* based, hope based structure.

Another reason why I believe this to be true is because of the divide in the Scientific field.
According to the Pew Research Center Poll and surveyed Scientist's belief/disbelief, ( http://www.pewforum.org/2009/11/05/scien...nd-belief/ )it turns out that roughly 50% are either God/higher power believers, while the other half were atheists/agnostic.

And this is where things get interesting. If you study the stats (the ones at the bottom of the field) carefully and make a general selection of competing ideas, it seems as if the *Male Scientists* who study Physics/Astronomy are inclined to be more atheistic while the *Female Scientists* who study Geosciences tend to be more theistic. Think about it. Doesn't the Earth *Feel* as if it was created by God? While doesn't the Universe's light-year distances *logically suggest* an older, naturalistic non-Theistic Origin?

To conclude, I have a intuitive *feeling* that the reason why atheists and theists simply can't get along is simply because our brains are wired differently and thus we think each other are stupid.
--------------------------------------

Another conclusion I make is that this correlation maybe altogether just a giant bullshit hypothesis with a small grain of truth. Sorry for wasting your time if it is.
[emoji51]

EDIT: If what I'm saying is possible, I'd like to do an experiment in which one of you virgin atheists men to marry a religious woman and how your new experimental child's worldview would be like.
RE: Atheism/Theism and Left/Right Brain?
Manufactured bs - 

(October 3, 2015 at 2:22 am)houseofcantor Wrote: Manufactured bs - 

Well I guess I wasted five minutes of my life writing all that. But what I still don't understand is the video trying to prove? At the end, what is the use of each of hemisphere?
(October 3, 2015 at 2:43 am)bambi_swag Wrote: Well I guess I wasted five minutes of my life writing all that. But what I still don't understand is the video trying to prove? At the end, what is the use of each of hemisphere?

Nothing is wasted when something is learned. The video emphasizes that it is far more complicated than a simple left/right dichotomy. Wink
Regardless of demographics, I'd certainly say that logically thinking people are more likely to be atheist than those that value emotional reasoning. Religious arguments are illogical and rely heavily on emotional manipulation.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 3, 2015 at 1:59 am)bambi_swag Wrote: [...] I'd like to do an experiment in which one of you virgin atheists men to marry a religious woman and how your new experimental child's worldview would be like.

Well, let me save you the trouble - in almost all cases I've ever come across - including my family - whenever an atheist and a theist have a child, the child grows up to be an atheist, or agnostic. 

Religion needs to be consequently forced upon you and if one of the parents allows for dissent - any half-intelligent teenager will chose sleeping in on Sunday and guilt-free masturbation, over going to church and being f***ed by a priest...
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(October 3, 2015 at 5:04 am)robvalue Wrote: Regardless of demographics, I'd certainly say that logically thinking people are more likely to be atheist than those that value emotional reasoning. Religious arguments are illogical and rely heavily on emotional manipulation.
True.
Are you trying to say that women are irrational?
Time to go...  Angel
I don't take much stock in this theory, because the claim of vast dominance in the brains of most people seems to be
exaggerated. Humans utilize both hemispheres of their brains; different parts at different times for different tasks. A particular affinity, interest or skill that relies on one portion at particular moments in time, doesn't mean that one 
hemisphere has overarching dominance.

Besides...it doesn't require Vulcan logic to know that magic ain't real.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Human brain activity during stone tool production. The Grand Nudger 6 1499 May 2, 2018 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Consciousness causes higher entropy compared to unconscious states in the human brain uncool 40 6117 February 1, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Electromagnetic waves cause brain cancer ? Marsellus Wallace 26 4984 January 27, 2016 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What Does Being An Atheist Actually Entail? (Theism in mind) gomlbrobro 47 5779 April 30, 2015 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why Archaeology Cannot Be Left To Jesus Freak Shitheads..... Minimalist 12 4397 March 28, 2014 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Brain Cells and the Universe FallentoReason 31 14540 February 8, 2013 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: Zone
  Your Brain on Facebook thesummerqueen 1 1052 November 4, 2011 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious