Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Brain on Facebook
Your Brain on Facebook
http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...n-facebook

Quote:A recent study showed that certain brain areas expand in people who have greater numbers of friends on Facebook. This was welcome news for online social network addicts, particularly teenagers: "Mom, I'm not just on Facebook; I'm doing my temporal lobe calisthenics."

There was a problem, though. The study, in Proceedings of the Royal Society B, was unable to resolve the question of whether "friending" plumps up the brain areas or whether people with a type of robustness in brain physiology are just natural social butterflies. "Our own previous study on Facebook could only show correlation between social network size and the brain, but we could not determine the direction of causation between social brain regions and social network size," notes Ryota Kanai of University College London, one of the researchers on the study.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Your Brain on Facebook
Strikes me as usual pseudo-scientific crap.

They've yet to demonstrate that they've successfully decoupled the subjects from the topic at hand. No info on group sorting, etc,.

Assuming their findings are correct, in essence, then they've managed to prove, for a small case, 'Use it or lose it'.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Human brain activity during stone tool production. The Grand Nudger 6 1499 May 2, 2018 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Consciousness causes higher entropy compared to unconscious states in the human brain uncool 40 6110 February 1, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Electromagnetic waves cause brain cancer ? Marsellus Wallace 26 4982 January 27, 2016 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  I need help rebutting this creatard on facebook 1994Californication 4 1076 December 16, 2015 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Atheism/Theism and Left/Right Brain? bambi_swag 11 4548 October 4, 2015 at 7:24 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Brain Cells and the Universe FallentoReason 31 14534 February 8, 2013 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: Zone