Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heavily dominated Mormon community that's...intolerant
Heavily dominated Mormon community that's...intolerant
I live in a large city. I won't say where exactly, but in the suburb of that large city is a town of about 250,00 people and about 50-60% of it is dominated by the Mormon faith. I grew up Mormon if any of you know who I am. But anyways, I noticed that they seem to be rather intolerant of anyone who's considered different than they are. In other-words if you're not white, Straight, rich and so on you apparently don't belong in this community. I grew up in a family that wasn't poor but wasn't rich, but we didn't fit into the white RIGHT-WING Utopia many of my Mormon peers loved here. 

But a couple of years ago there was slated to be a mental hospital for the mentally ill that was slated to be built on some property by some other commercial property. It was bought and purchased by the company that was to build it. Anyways, once word got out to the LDS folks around here they all started speaking against it and using the excuse "What about the children" and such. They all banded together to push against this mental hospital, even got the rich Mormons like the millionaires in the area to help prevent it from happening. Of course they got their wanted since the majority of our town government is Mormon. 

This just begs the question, why so intolerant? Aren't people who say they're Christlike supposed to be loving and accepting of others?
RE: Heavily dominated Mormon community that's...intolerant
(November 30, 2015 at 12:36 am)godzilla_22 Wrote: This just begs the question, why so intolerant? Aren't people who say they're Christlike supposed to be loving and accepting of others?

They lie. They aren't really loving and accepting. Not much of a shock really.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
A cousin of mine and his wife were transferred by his company to a heavily Mormon populated town.  After 2 years of social ostracism by the other folks in their neighborhood, he quit his company and they moved as far from that town as they could.

I have noted the LDS around here are quite friendly, but they're a tiny minority. If they weren't friendly, they'd have trouble finding workers to keep their stuff working, there just not being enough Mormon owned businesses in the area.  I've worked for a Mormon family in the area, but I may have imperfectly concealed my true feelings towards their made up bullshit specious piece of racist and foolish pile of crap stupid evil and annoying religion, as I have not heard from them in quite a while.

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

That probably goes with the territory of believing that an all-powerful Supreme God has designated certain individuals as special and favored. Being convinced that they'll will be rubbing elbows with the Almighty in the afterlife, while the rest of the riffraff is bound for the torment, may make it easier for some to view themselves as more worthy of distinction in this life as well.
(November 30, 2015 at 8:44 am)Thena323 Wrote: That probably goes with the territory of believing that an all-powerful Supreme God has designated certain individuals as special and favored. Being convinced that they'll will be rubbing elbows with the Almighty in the afterlife, while the rest of the riffraff is bound for the torment, may make it easier for some to view themselves as more worthy of distinction in this life as well.

Mormons actually take it a step farther, believing that they themselves will become gods of their own planets once they die. Talk about fuckin' greedy. Then again, in a way that's more honest, since all theism is really a form of self-worship.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
That sucks that they tried to stop it being built. Sucks more that they succeeded. It may not be very Jesusy, but it's certainly the Yah-way.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
What's wrong with the mental hospital besides not being posh and gentrified? Is that some Mormon tenant or something?

I'm not shocked by Mormons anymore. I learned about the violence they have perpetrated. There has been violence against them, but damn. Have you read about the mass grave that was recently found? Dead children.

There's also that "American exceptionalism" that is rampant in xtians, but it's worse for Mormons. After all, they have the all-American prophet.
(November 30, 2015 at 12:36 am)godzilla_22 Wrote: I grew up Mormon if any of you know who I am.

WHAAAAAAAT??? How did I not know this before now?

I've been in a "discussion" with a mormon about religion for about three years now and am always on the lookout for ex-mos who are willing to provide me with insight into the religion (the doctrines, ceremonies and practice) and culture of areas dominated by Mormons.

(November 30, 2015 at 8:44 am)Thena323 Wrote: Being convinced that they'll will be rubbing elbows with the Almighty in the afterlife, while the rest of the riffraff is bound for the torment, may make it easier for some to view themselves as more worthy of distinction in this life as well.

It's my understanding that they don't exactly believe in hell, and apparently their version of it (Outer Darkness) is really hard to get into. People who aren't Mormon just don't get to become gods and are banished to lesser heavens which are still supposed to be way way better than mere mortal life. Which sort of invites the question of: if even us atheists get an upgrade in the afterlife, what's the point of needing to be Mormon? At what point does striving for the super-best heaven become a matter of following one's selfish desires to get all the best stuff for yourself?

And, frankly, becoming a god sounds terrible to me. But that doesn't really matter because, in Mormonism, I wouldn't be a god, I'd be a heavenly baby-making factory pumping out little spirit babies. Which sounds even worse than becoming a god.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(November 30, 2015 at 11:33 am)Clueless Morgan Wrote: I've been in a "discussion" with a mormon about religion for about three years now and am always on the lookout for ex-mos who are willing to provide me with insight into the religion (the doctrines, ceremonies and practice) and culture of areas dominated by Mormons.

While not an ex-mormon myself, I did live in Salt Lake City for about 9 years, during which time my family and I familiarized ourselves with their beliefs and practices (mainly so my parents could Bible-troll the missionaries that came to our door...that eventually stopped happening).

I might be able to pitch in on that "discussion" you're having. Mormonism is a pretty interesting religion in a lot of ways (provided you're looking at it as you would any mythology and the people that adhere to it).

Incidentally, the South Park episode about Mormonism is a surprisingly accurate summary of their early history, though it doesn't go into that much detail about their beliefs.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Mormon parents NuclearEnergy 11 2317 October 9, 2021 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  An Atheist Tries on Sacred Mormon Underwear AFTT47 7 1190 May 27, 2019 at 1:21 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Intolerant Christians here in the U.S. Ghost2282 58 10593 March 4, 2015 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Mormon: "There is no such thing as rape." Tiberius 148 35001 December 9, 2014 at 11:03 am
Last Post: John V
  Mormon Church Admits J Smith Didn't Translate Book Of Abraham JesusHChrist 54 13295 September 9, 2014 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  The Mormon Church: Modern Day Mandated Servitude and Bondage LivingNumbers6.626 13 5552 August 17, 2014 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Europe to Monitor Citizens ‘Intolerant’ of Islam Gooders1002 5 1589 November 7, 2013 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  A Mormon doubts Something completely different 41 9821 August 27, 2013 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: Bad Writer
  Dumped by girlfriend/boyfriend after joining the Mormon church? RichardP 21 6784 April 22, 2013 at 7:00 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Mormon men are fat.. RichardP 10 3506 March 31, 2013 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger