Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freedom
Freedom
A few times I have heard atheists on this site being glad they are "free" from religion or they now have "freedom".  I would like to know in what sense do you feel "free" after leaving religion.  I assume most felt religion was a form of enslavement to a set of rules, guidelines, etc.

And in second part, do you think freedom means you are free to do entirely as you choose?  Is freedom without limits?  If there are limits, then are you really free?

Just interesting thoughts of the day from my brain.  Enjoy.  Wink
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
RE: Freedom
I feel free from the judgement and guilt and fear that made up most of my religious experience, and from the feeling of being a serf to some Orwellian tyrant. I still follow rules and guidelines, so that's a non issue. It's more emotional than that.

As for the second part, too deep for tired .-.
Religious constraints on the disposition of my semen
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Religion shackles you with a lot of things. You're made to feel guilty about some of the more benign things in life, and in some cases it allows you to live the lifestyle you want to live. Like if you're gay, but were brought up thinking it's wrong, getting out of that system allows you to be you. You don't have to pretend to be straight anymore.

You still need to respect other people and not intentionally hurt them, btu you don't have to be religious to be a good person. In fact it helps you be a better person because you accept people who are different more.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Freedom from limited thinking; primarily the compartmentalization and mental gymnastics required to maintain religious beliefs, while simply observing/living in the real world.
I use 'free' from religion as considered in the first amendment of the U.S. Bill of Rights; i.e., I'm not subject to the arbitrary religious dicta of others.

Nobody has freedom in its truest sense, we abdicate certain liberties for the sake of a functioning society. As an example, I don't have the freedom to drive on the wrong side of the road or shit in my neighbor's yard.
(December 14, 2015 at 4:54 pm)Kingpin Wrote: A few times I have heard atheists on this site being glad they are "free" from religion or they now have "freedom".  I would like to know in what sense do you feel "free" after leaving religion.  I assume most felt religion was a form of enslavement to a set of rules, guidelines, etc.

And in second part, do you think freedom means you are free to do entirely as you choose?  Is freedom without limits?  If there are limits, then are you really free?

Religions generally (not all of them) dictate that you believe a certain way, and they use various tactics to keep you believing that way. Most people here have mentioned guilt, that's one of them.

The "freedom" I feel is the freedom to believe what I want, and to change my beliefs based on new evidence, rather than being restricted by dogma.
(December 14, 2015 at 5:19 pm)Chad32 Wrote: In fact it helps you be a better person because you accept people who are different more.

I don't think being atheist magically makes someone be more accepting and tolerant of others. I think this really depends on the person. There are plenty of atheists who can't stand opinions and beliefs different than their own.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(December 14, 2015 at 4:54 pm)Kingpin Wrote: A few times I have heard atheists on this site being glad they are "free" from religion or they now have "freedom".  I would like to know in what sense do you feel "free" after leaving religion.  I assume most felt religion was a form of enslavement to a set of rules, guidelines, etc.

It probably depends on the religion. There are lots of things you could point to though. An ex-catholic could probably say they are free from guilt over trivial sins, free to enjoy sex with who they want to. Or an ex-baptist or mormon could be free to drink or enjoy pot as the feel. An ex-orthodox Jew is free to not have a stupid haircut and wear what they want.

Think of all the non-crimes that religion mentally criminalizes in people. There are almost infinite examples for infinite religions. That's probably what most people mean.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(December 14, 2015 at 5:42 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(December 14, 2015 at 5:19 pm)Chad32 Wrote: In fact it helps you be a better person because you accept people who are different more.

I don't think being atheist magically makes someone be more accepting and tolerant of others. I think this really depends on the person. There are plenty of atheists who can't stand opinions and beliefs different than their own.

Well it means there's no book telling you it's wrong to be accepting of gays and people of different beliefs just because someone wrote that their god doesn't like it.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Right of freedom of religion should not be a human right Macoleco 19 1561 May 26, 2021 at 1:10 am
Last Post: Belacqua