Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Santa versus god
Santa versus god
One is real, but the other is not.

The reasoning, one is divinely inspired.

The problem has always been the word "divine".

After all, we all know men created Santa and that men created god.

The only difference is the question of divinity.

What proof is there of divinity?

Men can be inspired to do anything. If god is the subject, should we automatically add the "divine" tag?

I doubt it. I doubt it very much.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Santa versus god
The death blow to my faith was realizing that the bible was only "inspired", and Christians do not even argue this point.

I asked a minister if the bible was divinely dictated or if men wrote it under inspiration. He confirmed the latter.

There's simply no reason for any person to logically conclude that they got everything or anything correct.
[Image: mCX4p.jpg]
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(January 14, 2016 at 2:26 pm)Iroscato Wrote: [Image: mCX4p.jpg]

Gotta go with Jesus.  He clearly works out more, has a pain threshold far beyond most men, plus he can just heal himself.  Santa's out of his element here.
[Image: santa-dance-o.gif]
VS
[Image: A5ykEL.gif]
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(January 6, 2016 at 7:30 pm)Kitan Wrote: One is real, but the other is not.

The reasoning, one is divinely inspired.

The problem has always been the word "divine".

After all, we all know men created Santa and that men created god.

The only difference is the question of divinity.

What proof is there of divinity?  

Men can be inspired to do anything.  If god is the subject, should we automatically add the "divine" tag?

I doubt it. I doubt it very much.

We "all know...that men created God"?

Really? That's just commonly understood by all?

Or are you just making an assertion here?
(January 14, 2016 at 2:13 pm)Old Baby Wrote: The death blow to my faith was realizing that the bible was only "inspired", and Christians do not even argue this point.  

I asked a minister if the bible was divinely dictated or if men wrote it under inspiration.  He confirmed the latter.

There's simply no reason for any person to logically conclude that they got everything or anything correct.

Wow. That suggests a lack of understanding on your part regarding what "inspired" means.

"Only" inspired?

Think more deeply, and you may find your faith again.
(January 14, 2016 at 4:08 pm)athrock Wrote:
(January 14, 2016 at 2:13 pm)Old Baby Wrote: The death blow to my faith was realizing that the bible was only "inspired", and Christians do not even argue this point.  

I asked a minister if the bible was divinely dictated or if men wrote it under inspiration.  He confirmed the latter.

Wow. That suggests a lack of understanding on your part regarding what "inspired" means.

"Only" inspired?

Think more deeply, and you may find your faith again.

That's actually not helpful at all.

If you think I'm not understanding this correctly, maybe explain it to me. 

How does a man writing a book and saying that it's inspired by God prove that those are actually God's thoughts?
There was a special atmosphere around the earth 2000 years ago, which made everything anyone wrote down instantly true. It ensured every word was free from dishonesty, mistakes, exaggerations and also ensured the words would be copied perfectly for all time after that.

How do I know this? It's written down in this forum post. What more evidence do you need?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One God versus many T.J. 42 2975 December 6, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Santa Claus Interaktive 2 700 December 26, 2019 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Google's Santa Tracker Fake Messiah 15 2424 December 25, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Islam versus Judaism KerimF 22 7599 June 29, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: KerimF
  Santa is an anagram for Satan goombah111 34 5021 January 27, 2017 at 5:33 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Morality versus afterlife robvalue 163 31060 March 13, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Did you believe in Santa? Longhorn 43 7418 April 28, 2015 at 7:45 am
Last Post: John V
  How can we make adults believe in Santa? watchamadoodle 40 11895 March 24, 2015 at 8:24 am
Last Post: Vox Populi
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19414 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Does Santa exist? cratehorus 31 8429 July 28, 2013 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Mystical