Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 2:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mock dialogue of the Theist/Atheist discussion here.
Mock dialogue of the Theist/Atheist discussion here.
This is definitely not representative of all but to me is over all been summary of experience as far as the Theist/Atheistic debate goes.

Theist: I believe in God.

Atheist: Why?

Theist: Explains...

Atheist: That's personal and you can't prove that to us. It's useless to us and you are probably deluded.

Theist1: That's ok, I'm not here to convince you.

Atheist: If God was known to you, he would be known to us, if he existed he would be provable, can you even define God...can you even explain what you experienced....etc..etc...

Theist2: Explains but I also have arguments to prove belief in God is rational and think these arguments are strong reasons to believe in God.

Atheist:  Your arguments are wrong....(some even say arguments are useless, we need evidence...physical evidence!!)

Theist2: I believe my arguments are right - they seem to be decisively true.

Atheist:  There are no good arguments for God, you simply want to believe, etc, etc, preaching mode...

Theist2: let's discuss the arguments patiently and see.

Atheist: What argument, there is nothing to discuss, it's invalid, it's premises are just bare assertions etc etc...

Theist2: Eh, these arguments.....

Atheist: Invalid, unproven, bare assertion, etc etc....

Theist2: I don't think it's invalid due to this and that...it's not a bare assertion but etc etc...

Atheist: No it's.......

Theist3: I believe in my religion due to this and that.

Atheist: All religions are same, where is the proof, where is the evidence...why doesn't God talk to all of us..why didn't he this.

Theist3: Well..from my understanding..this and that...

Atheist: LOL excuses, just making excuses to believe in your religion.

Theist3: Let'd discuss the reasons and leave the issue of God on hold....

Atheist: Of course if you are going to justify your belief by your belief in God then..........every religion can claim the same thing about their religion, their god, etc...

Theist3: But these are the reasons I believe in this and they seem to imply this religion is unique in that this and that......and I believe in these reasons because of this and that.

Atheist: "Preach mode", religion is bad , it's this and that, we can do without it, etc. etc........

Theist3: I agree religion over all is bad because over all they are falsely taught but...

Atheist: Your religion too...this and that...

Theist3: But I believe if people only.......

Atheist: No true scottsman! + your God pathetic for not making sure people followed the message....etc etc...if it was clear this and that...

My question: how will we go past this..........

Is there a better way to have dialogue over this issue?
RE: Mock dialogue of the Theist/Atheist discussion here.
Just say what your beliefs are and that you're not here to justify them.

If you start a conversation yourself bringing up your beliefs, it's fairly reasonably to assume you want to discuss them, unless you say otherwise. What other input we could have, I don't know.

I also don't know what you want from atheists. We accept you have beliefs. We don't have to agree with your logic when presented though.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I find that in your 3rd exchange, the so-called "explanations...", I find to default to simple hand waving and personal testimonies. Never, and I do mean never, have I encountered a theist that had verifiable, testable and falsifiable evidence of their particular deity.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
There has to be another way. This is like ping pong with no end. If there are good arguments for God and particular religion, we won't reach conclusion of it this way. And if there aren't any, a person who is mistaken in his reasoning to believe in God and their particular religion, will not find out either.
Sorry, first read this as Mock The dialogue. Apologies.

MK, not sure why you're here (AF). I/We understand you have beliefs and that's fine with me/us. I'm not sure why you are constantly trying to defend them with material that atheists will not consider a defense. Do we need to accept your defense for you to feel good about your belief?

Are you not getting support on other theist forums? I know you are, or at least were, participating in them.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
When I was a believer, I never bothered trying to get nonbelievers to validate my reasons for believing. I think you have to ask yourself why this is important to you.
(January 10, 2016 at 11:20 am)Old Baby Wrote: When I was a believer, I never bothered trying to get nonbelievers to validate my reasons for believing.  I think you have to ask yourself why this is important to you.

Hmm....and you ended up leaving faith. On the other hand, dialogue with people of different faiths as well as Atheists, has lead me to stronger faith in my religion (Even though I left it for five years).

I feel this non-dialogue, I will just rely on my own reasoning/subjective experience, if there is a true religion is not the way God wanted us to go about it.

I think rational dialogue is the means to come to agreement. Not everyone can we expect to walk into the door of light and see everything he needs to see and that's it, leave it that, you either in or out.

Rather I believe we ought to have rational dialogue. But the reason why we disagreeing, is because are not going about this sincerely.

So the solution is a change of attitude towards dialogue.
What did you expect, MK? People have been failing for centuries to provide a good argument for god. Did you think that you could come up with something new?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(January 10, 2016 at 11:29 am)Faith No More Wrote: What did you expect, MK?  People have been failing for centuries to provide a good argument for god.  Did you think that you could come up with something new?

I believe Aristotle proves God and his divinity and ultimate uniqueness. I think it's been proven for a long time.

I also find Richard Dawkins refutations of Aristotle hilarious to say nothing more.
I'm definitely theist 1 lol
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 429 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 1933 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 1895 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 11671 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 145650 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  Old threads of discussion I have had. Mystic 125 15957 April 3, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why was Newton a theist? Alexmahone 65 12541 March 24, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Anyone here wear atheist/humanist jewelry? Foxaèr 24 3408 March 5, 2018 at 2:20 am
Last Post: rskovride
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1095 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Hug a Theist vulcanlogician 31 5501 December 23, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Cyberman