Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refuting typical arguments
Refuting typical arguments
1. The bible is a perfect book. 

Clearly you haven't read the bible or if you have you are clearly cherry picking all good bits calling it perfect.
Even the good parts you cherry pick is also contradicted somewhere in the bible.

2. [insert generic  argument for intelligent design]

Even engineers people and people who decode and even study DNA would argue that well if there is a intelligent 
creator he is a terrible one. You want to say you god intelligently created everything well for one i would not 
take that position it only makes your god look unintelligent. 

3. The universe is fine tuned for life

It's not the universe is not fine tuned for life were just lucky. Most of the universe intelligent life couldn't exist because
of various reasons. To put it this way 99.99% of the universe is inhospitable to any  sort of life. We are in the the .01%
of the universe that allows for life to exist in it's  current form. 

4. [insert argument from emotion that god exists] 

I don't  need to say much but it is you the believer that has to prove it the
burden of proof is a thing. You have to prove a god exist not the other way around. 

5. You're going to hell because reject x y z

Don't use that argument of fear because well your religion isn't the only one that has a hell like place
chances are if you are wrong about your religion your going to end up in another religions hell. 

6. My religion is the only true religion

Just.. stop never say that you don't know that  you will argue from your
own emotions. You don't truly know and stop it this is how religious
wars start. 

7. on true god(s)

Burden of proof moving on 

8. Everything has a purpose 

How about no it doesn't. Well things do have a purpose in nature
like plants animals bugs etc. But god didn't give any external purpose.
we  as people have no purpose we are alive because were lucky.  We
give our own lives purpose. 

9. Were a christian nation. 

Stop.. just stop it were a secular nation. If the founding fathers were alive today they were
be atheists. Let's be serious the founding fathers were deists. 

10. We get our morals from god and god's bible is a testament to our morals. 

The bible has some good morals and a lot of terrible ones let's be honest.
Our morals evolved with our evolution it's that simple.

11. god is all loving

Nope and i'm pretty sure various sects of christianity would agree with me on this god clearly doesn't
love everyone. This also plays into why there is suffering ironic i know. 

12. Atheists are just pretending  to not believe in god they want to rebel. 

If i had 10 dollars every time i heard/read that. Were not pretending 
fact of the matter is there is no conclusive evidence to prove there is a god(s) simply put.

13. The earth is flat 

Do you want go to space? I heard it's fun i swear... 

14. Our god is all everything 

If you god has all the power and all knowing congrats there is no free will  so never argue for a all powerful or all knowing being. 

15. god is not being allowed in schools...

Uh.. yes he is... you just aren't allowed to lead prayer if you want to lead prayer well you better start doing  other prayers for
other students of faith. But again church and state separation bitches you can't do. 

16. But that was in the OT...

Just stop it the one part of the OT you love is the 10 commandments and even then you overlook the fact they 
were destroyed. So you are pretty much are following 10 laws that don't exist because moses destroyed the tablets. 

17. But science can't  explain everything

Yes it pretty much can but it cannot explain a negative such as a god. 

There is more i can write but here.... Seriously theists i have heard it all before and to be blunt about it. 
To be extremely blunt and to sound like ass hole about it. You have no proof you have nothing at all.
No proof of magic, god, miracles, angles, demons, heaven, hell, etc. Seriously nothing all just baseless
arguments from emotion and that's  just it emotion. Seriously just take a step back and think about what
you are going to say before you say it or write it. Because anyone with any sort of intelligence and pick your
statement apart with trying. That's all i have to say.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: Refuting typical arguments
3. Don't talk to me about probability when the event is a prerequisite for this conversation. What are the odds I would be talking about fine tuning in a universe that didn't support life?
Meandering Atheist: Several friends on a journey of romance and adventure, to talk about moderately interesting topics.
Good job! Smile

The biggest problem, I think, is that no one believes in their religion because of any of these arguments. They are rationalisations after the fact, to try and make them feel better about their conclusion. That's why slicing them to pieces appears to have no effect. Getting people to admit the real reasons they believe is hard work.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 9, 2016 at 3:22 am)robvalue Wrote: Good job! Smile

The biggest problem, I think, is that no one believes in their religion because of any of these arguments. They are rationalisations after the fact, to try and make them feel better about their conclusion. That's why slicing them to pieces appears to have no effect. Getting people to admit the real reasons they believe is hard work.

Thanks rob also i see that i made some errors on a few of them. 

You have a good point they really are rationalizing after the fact which is a bad thing in their case.
They should use rational thought before making a statement because they don't really have a conclusion.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Yup, I can cut like five arms off from the same person, but they've still got two arms. So they can't have been real arms. They were extra ones stuffed with straw.

I cut off the real ones too, and find out they weren't real either. More straw. The actual real arms are being hidden under a jumper.

I can understand theists being reluctant to say the real reason, and that's assuming they actually know themselves. I think they assume an atheist will think the reason is stupid. I wonder why they would come to that conclusion on our behalf, without us even having to hear it? That should tell them something, really.

But I'm probably over-reaching here Tongue
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 10792 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  How do religious people react to their own arguments? Vast Vision 60 16401 July 9, 2017 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 22188 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8643 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  Strong and Weak Arguments Neo-Scholastic 99 16332 January 11, 2017 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Q about arguments for God's existence. Mudhammam 579 148244 October 25, 2016 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Stupid arguments for God The Atheist 16 3681 March 25, 2016 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Arguments against Deism and for religion. Mystic 32 12669 March 12, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Typical Christian/creationist stupidity. bussta33 12 3827 February 1, 2016 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why logical arguments for Messengers don't work. Mystic 45 11424 January 6, 2016 at 2:40 am
Last Post: robvalue