Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion Makes Children More Selfish
Religion Makes Children More Selfish
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchamary/20...e6eb68670e

Quote:The results revealed that secular children shared more stickers. Muslim children appear to be less generous than Christian kids, but this is not statistically significant (labelled ‘ns’ in the bar chart below). All three groups became less altruistic with age, though religious kids had lower generosity, suggesting that longer exposure to religion leads to less altruism

Quote:Why are religious people less moral? One factor is a psychological phenomenon known as ‘moral licensing’: a person will justify doing something bad or immoral – like being racist – because they’ve already done something ‘good’, such as praying. “It’s an unconscious bias,” Decety explains. “They don’t even see that’s not compatible with what they’ve been learning in church.”

Hehe, I do that all the time. I order a diet coke with my large meat lovers pizza to alleviate my guilt!

Are you guys surprised at all with this? I see it as just another unforseen negative byproduct of indoctrination.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Religion Makes Children More Selfish
I'm not at all surprised.

I've noticed a strong negative correlation between the strength of religious convinction someone has and their morality, throughout my life.

Indoctrination is harmful, on multiple levels.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Raising Gender Normative Children Acrobat 8 711 February 15, 2019 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  In the future men will be able to carry children just like women rado84 110 11108 October 4, 2016 at 9:12 am
Last Post: mcolafson
  I saw children doing synthetic biology on the television... ReptilianPeon 9 1874 August 31, 2015 at 1:03 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Selfish Gene Theory Mudhammam 18 6657 February 1, 2014 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Anti-vac children on the line Kayenneh 10 4964 January 26, 2014 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  This Makes A Lot of Sense Minimalist 5 1466 June 17, 2013 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: ideologue08
  Save your children from allergic disorders! Creed of Heresy 14 3292 December 24, 2012 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Don't get your children educated in South Korea. Darwinian 19 10492 June 7, 2012 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Scientist Makes Organic Matter out of Inorganic Matter The_Flying_Skeptic 21 18867 July 4, 2010 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: The_Flying_Skeptic
  Is it selfish to have more than two children? moodydaniel 7 2711 March 3, 2009 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet