Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Racism is alive and kicking in Mississippi church
Racism is alive and kicking in Mississippi church
Lousy Landlord: RV Park Owner Allegedly Booted Couple Because His Church Opposes Interracial Marriage
Apr 5, 2016 by Simon Brown in Wall of Separation

https://au.org/blogs/wall-of-separation/...his-church

Quote from the article:  “Hey, you didn’t tell me you was married to no black man,” Baker allegedly told Dunahoo.
When asked by Dunahoo why that mattered, Baker reportedly responded: “Oh, it’s a big problem with the members of my church, my community and my mother-in-law. They don’t allow that black and white shacking.”

Of course, in a newspaper interview, Baker said that he booted them out because the neighbors complained. 

He violated their civil rights, and interracial marriage has been legal since 1967.  But hey, if the religious right is fighting to discriminate against LGBT folks, then the racists will probably want a piece of the action.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: Racism is alive and kicking in Mississippi church
So... in your opinion, Congress Shall make and enforce laws that apply to the establishment of religion and the free exercise thereof?
(April 5, 2016 at 12:32 pm)Drich Wrote: So... in your opinion, Congress Shall make and enforce laws that apply to the establishment of religion and the free exercise thereof?

No, congress makes and enforces rules that prevent discrimination, or should. The moment your religion starts to affect other people it ceases to be a private thing and must take into account the rights of the other people. Holding a religious belief is not an excuse to act like a dick, its a reason but not an excuse.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(April 5, 2016 at 12:32 pm)Drich Wrote: So... in your opinion, Congress Shall make and enforce laws that apply to the establishment of religion and the free exercise thereof?

Some racist douchebag saying, "It's a big problem with the members of my church, my community, and my mother-in-law" is hardly making a cogent free exercise argument. He's just hiding his bigotry behind others (including, later, the neighbors) like the bullying coward he appears to be. He's in violation of the law and doesn't have a 1st Amendment leg to stand on.

No, Congress shall make laws so sanctimonious fuckheads like you can't be bigoted asswipes whenever you want to.

No one's right to freedom of religious exercise has been violated ... unless you're arguing that Christianity demands the bigoted treatment of interracial couples, in which case I'm going to need to see a citation in support.

Your rights end when they obtrude on the rights of others. You're free to be a bigot. You're not free to discriminate in housing, employment, or provision of public services. (That's the general you; I don't mean specifically you).

That is exactly what they think.

Contrary to what you might think, the 1st Amendment does grant you and your religion carte blanche to do whatever the fuck you want.

If you have a problem with this, I suggest you take it up with Congress and the Supreme Court.

Good luck with that.
Stop the presses! Racism in Mississippi!

Pay very, very close attention to this, because I think it's something you should take to heart: Religious freedom is not violated by laws that prevent believers from discriminating against people with whom they disagree.

Try it another way: This slack-jawed knuckle-dragging park owner has every right n the world to not approve of interracial marriage - no one is telling him he has to change his mind or that he has to marry someone of another 'race'. But he isn't allowed to use religious freedom as an excuse to refuse equal service to people he doesn't like.

If this is overly complex, let me know. I can try again in words of one syllable.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1227 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5425 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3621 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4151 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Girls drugged and abused at church-run home zebo-the-fat 20 2593 July 17, 2016 at 6:31 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  lies, broken promises, racism : the real Jesus jenny1972 6 1927 November 4, 2015 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
  What's the future of Catholic Church and Satan? satan_buttercup 179 29066 August 27, 2015 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  The Catholic Church And Magdalen Laundries Nope 60 8186 June 19, 2015 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Catholic Church and poverty FreeTony 20 3868 March 20, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: daver49
  I work for a church and I can't stand it any more. AtheistChurchEmployee 106 16026 December 27, 2014 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: KevinM1