Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why?
Why?
Why does an all powerful god only interact with our universe in "mysterious ways"?

Why is he so busy making sure his face appears in burnt toast that people die and suffer?

Why does he think that not worshipping him deserves eternal punishment?

Why did he make satan knowing full well the consequences?

I was arguing with my friend earlier, and he said "Don't test god, the bible says that." I laughed at first, but later I felt kinda bad for him.
It seems, questioning the concept of a god is considered the absolute worst thing anyone can do, it makes it impossible to leave for anyone who has believed most of his/her life. Yet, it is the one thing someone needs to do to come to an understanding.

Ive previously stated that Christians defending the OT god is, ironically, them playing devils advocate. Yet, people defend his allowance of slavery, they defend his command to stone those who work on Saturdays,
And they defend his actions pertaining to Noahs Ark.
Think of all the people you've told any verse that is immoral to them, how many people have actually admitted the verses are immoral? How many have denied they are immoral?

I really want religion to just fade away. Recent events are promising, but sadly, I will never see the effects of religion's fall, my life is just too short.
The negative side effects of religion will last generations onward.

Why can't we just move on?
Why dont we stop commiting so much money to religion, and instead, commit all that money to science and research?
Why are people so dishonest when defending religion?
Why are all arguments for religion unconvincing?
Why wont people question their beliefs?
Why.
RE: Why?
People love fairy tales and good stories have always been very popular. Religion is a big job creator that offers con men prestige and positions of power. The believers get to play various parts in the fantasy and it gives them a certain amount of structure to their mundane lives. You need to replace all of those elements with more attractive options if you want to eliminate religion.
B'cuz. Je knowz. You're not the gawd guy, so how can you even try to understand him in your small human mindz? Just roll with it and stop asking questions. He iz bigger and smarter and you'll be fine. Now shush. (Pats your head condescendingly). Just close your eyes and open wide.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(April 24, 2016 at 9:54 pm)GeneralDog Wrote: Why wont people question their beliefs?

It feels good....

The why of it is very simple, actually.

People prefer the comfort of the lie over the harshness of the truth.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
The answer is:

Mummy wouldn't lie to me. She told me Jesus died because I'm a dirty shitty horrible creation of a loving God that wants to torture me for being born, and you can't take that away from me. Shut up all you commie nazi fuck bananas with your Darwinian empathy, why don't you just go and live in the Big Bang since that's your God?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Something tells me theists don't see it the same way.
Meandering Atheist: Several friends on a journey of romance and adventure, to talk about moderately interesting topics.
One of our resident Christians will respond to the OP using flawed arguments (appeal to ancient texts, circular reasoning, fallacious philosophical arguments, etc) in...

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
[Image: 05183c4d546d8336355dda0d07c6a701e3861-wm.jpg]
I tell people that they absolutely should question their beliefs. The same way OP is questioning Christianity.
If your religion is truth, your beliefs will survive your attempts to pick it apart.
And religions that tell them not to are just religions that are telling them not to use the brain their God gave them...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why, Why,Why! Lemonvariable72 14 3558 October 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  WHY WHY WHY??!?!? JUST STOP...... Xyster 18 5158 March 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Zenith