Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heya folks...
Heya folks...
I just wanted to introduce myself and get to know you guys! My name is Krystle, I'm 30, living in Cali with my hubby and daughter, and I consider myself an atheist, (even though I don't think that label is really necessary to describe something you have no belief in.)

There was an extremely pivotal moment in my early teens that pretty much changed my views forever. I joined a youth group with my best friend at the time, looking to solidify my belief in Jesus, no longer wanting to feed the doubts I had considered for a few years. Everyone around me always seemed so sure about their beliefs, I didn't (and still don't) understand where such an unwavering sense of truth comes from. They all talked about how they could just feel Jesus around them, that they could talk to him and just know he was listening. At the end of each service, they'd invite people up to be saved. I'd watch person after person go through the "saving" process...all of them saying how absolutely wonderful they felt afterwards, brought to tears, talking about how they can feel so much love now. Even my friend saying it was an amazing experience, that I'd feel closer to Jesus afterwards. I kept thinking, "Okay, this is probably why I'm struggling with my belief in Christ. I haven't actually been saved yet. I NEED to do this."

One night I decided to walk up to the stage to get saved. There was a band playing, people were clapping, the pastor was using a microphone going on and on about Jesus wanting us to come to him. I closed my eyes and the pastor had his hand on my forehead. He recited a scripture and some other things, asked me if I accepted Jesus as my personal savior...and that was it. No warm feelings of love or happiness, no sense of something greater welcoming me; everything was exactly the same. I was so underwhelmed and disappointed that I started to cry. Of course, everyone thought it was this great expression of the salvation I just accepted. Not even close. After that, I slowly stopped going to youth group. My friend asked me why, but I honestly started to feel like the whole concept was a sham. Of course, it took some research and many discussions to get where I am now in my lack of beliefs in any god or religion, but that was the turning point. 

Looking forward to more discussions and posts on here!
RE: Heya folks...
Welcome again, from Tennessee!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Hi Krystle (nice name) and welcome.

I know what your problem was! You were suffering from too much common sense!
Glad you didn't buy into the world's biggest pyramid scam! (called religion)

Good for you.
enjoy.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Hello, welcome Smile Thanks for sharing you story.

Well done for fighting out of the delusion. Many people are highly suggestible, and they can make themselves experience what they expect to feel. Clearly you're not, so the crap didn't work on you.

I hope you enjoy it here!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Sup yo!
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Welcome to the forum!
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Welcome, from sunny (but now rainy) Portugal!

Here, have a Cornucópia from Alcobaça!

[Image: DSC_8022.JPG]
Welcome to the forum Krystle
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(May 5, 2016 at 9:59 am)pocaracas Wrote: Welcome, from sunny (but now rainy) Portugal!

What is that? What's in it? What's it taste like?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(May 5, 2016 at 10:04 am)Losty Wrote:
(May 5, 2016 at 9:59 am)pocaracas Wrote: Welcome, from sunny (but now rainy) Portugal!

What is that? What's in it? What's it taste like?

They're a part of what we call "doces conventuais", sweets made in convents.... nuns, you see, had a lot of spare time, so many got to making sweet things.... and eating them!

What's in it? can't you tell? egg-sweetness (I have no idea how to translate "doce de ovos" - that'&s the yellow thing inside) wrapped in some crumbly crusty sweet thing.
How does it taste? Like a calorie bomb! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Music Hey Folks Philos_Tone 13 1420 November 18, 2018 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  hey folks. Disciple 11 1347 June 6, 2016 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Hi folks, I am a Godless Heathen Godless-Heathen 34 3303 May 17, 2016 at 7:08 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hiya folks! I'm new! CindyBaker 10 1469 April 8, 2016 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: Goosebump
  Howdy folks. TrueTexan 17 2947 November 5, 2014 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Howdy Folks Rogue 50 10975 October 2, 2014 at 11:06 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Hi Folks!!! FlyAzzGypsy 8 1592 April 17, 2014 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Hello Folks! GodlessPlanetMusic 9 1964 December 9, 2013 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
Big Grin Heya. ;) Integrity 14 1843 August 27, 2013 at 8:44 am