Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's Your Favorite Historical Figure?
Lightbulb 
Who's Your Favorite Historical Figure?
I'm pretty unabashed in my love for Teddy Roosevelt. 

If you've never listened to the currently running podcast "Presidential", you really should. It's a great way to be introduced to the American presidents, as well as letting you know how little humanity (and America) has changed over the centuries (for good or ill). 

I adored the one they did on Teddy: "Exuberance"

There are so many things you can talk about when it comes to him - about his family, about his politics, about his activism - but lately the thing that's been drawing me ever closer was the way he was so aggressively enthusiastic about life in response to the heartache he suffered. He reminds me to get up and get out - to run fast enough to escape "black care" and the asthma that plagued him and still plagues me. 

He reminds me to chase and seize joy with both hands wherever I can find it.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Who's Your Favorite Historical Figure?
I don't know.
Tallulah Bankhead !

"My heart is as pure as the driven slush."
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Probably Mozart.
Caligula

(who didn't see that coming?)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 28, 2016 at 9:49 am)chimp3 Wrote: Tallulah Bankhead !

"My heart is as pure as the driven slush."

On the set of one her movies (Lifeboat) she wore no knickers and flashed so often the set workers complained. The director (Hitchcock) said he wasn't sure if it was a problem for wardrobe or hair dressing.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Julian The Apostate.  

The last pagan emperor of the world, a survivor of a politically motivated slaughter of his family, brought up in christian exile, a bookworm turned war hero turned civil servant turned emperor.  

Christians would later proudly concoct a narrative that one of their own, a saint no less...had assassinated him.  They even went so far as to put the imperial decree of succession-to-christ, more or less, in his mouth as his dying breath...... It's far more likely that he died in battle and with him, imo, any chance for a reprieve from the next 1000 years of christian asshatery on a global scale.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Issac Newton, and I'll let Neil deGrasse Tyson explain why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=danYFxGnFxQ
Without the slightest doubt Winston Churchill.
I really don't know. I think a "which people would you invite to dinner" would be easier, but even that would change daily for me. FDR's kind of interesting with the New Deal and all that. I'd be frightened about life if that never came to be.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Historical events turn into movies Fake Messiah 43 3299 October 21, 2023 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  historical quote/s altered or not the original?(amemrican goverment) Quill01 5 1042 July 25, 2022 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  An Historical Perspective BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1608 June 18, 2019 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Possibly the Best Historical Analogy for The WLB To Date Minimalist 6 1032 January 30, 2017 at 9:18 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  Historical characters you admire Macoleco 52 4730 November 3, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Quest for the Historical Paul Minimalist 44 7640 May 18, 2016 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What's your favorite "History is Stranger than Fiction" moment from world history? FatAndFaithless 31 6027 March 13, 2016 at 5:50 am
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Historical Standpoint Blondie 30 4616 October 22, 2015 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Atheist historical figure you should know. Brian37 14 4094 September 19, 2014 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus