Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Supernatural isn't a useful concept
Supernatural isn't a useful concept
I saw pool's post but didn't want to necro.

The definition of supernatural I would use would be a thing that doesn't follow natural laws. By that definition it would have to not exist because to exist it would be natural and therefore whatever characteristics define it would be natural.

example: Water that heals you instantly when you pour it on a wound! We know that isn't a thing but if it was a thing then it would be natural and we could study it to figure out the mechanism by which it does the seemingly supernatural thing.

This is why I find the idea of "supernatural evidence" so weird and a basically useless marrying of two words. Evidence is just some thing that indicates that something exists or works a certain way.

The "supernatural" concept has been used to seperate things from science through concepts like NOMA and models of the universe that have places of privilege like "outside" the physical universe or parallel dimensions.

Supernatural seems like a waste of time.
RE: Supernatural isn't a useful concept
At the very least for it to ever be verified as existent or be observed or relevant or apparent or present as phenomena in our reality it would certainly have to be natural.

An untestable unprovable invisible intangible existent noumenal object is irrelevant to us even if it exists and whether it is labelled as "supernatural" or not is indeed irrelevant.

It's as pointlesss as Kant's thing-in-itself only more religiousy.
OP re. title: Sure it is. Worked for the fairy tales, then comic book industry, then movies, then gamers, then scientology. 

Tell Stan Lee it's not useful.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Many ways to interpret [emoji6]

Useful for what? Bullshitting? Yes. Fiction? Yes.

Useful for reality? No.
(October 23, 2016 at 7:48 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: [..] then scientology. 

[Image: 3p5rua.jpg]
Bender rules.

But I like Zap best. He's fucking hilarious.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEhcWYxk-2KQPLPWW-yOU...5__JvDVnmj]
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
He's almost as amusing but Zap makes me near piss myself sometimes.
(October 23, 2016 at 7:52 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Bender rules.

But I like Zap best. He's fucking hilarious.

Nah, bender all the way.
Each to their.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Testing a Hypothesis about the Supernatural Bahana 103 16333 June 18, 2018 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  Is the idea of self a coherent concept? bennyboy 5 1226 January 1, 2017 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  If a supernatural intelligence did create the universe..... maestroanth 12 2062 April 20, 2016 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Let's play with the concept of 'Supernatural' ErGingerbreadMandude 13 2120 March 22, 2016 at 4:01 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New suppositions about God and the supernatural entities A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 30 10983 January 20, 2016 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c
  'Success' is an illusionary concept. CapnAwesome 24 4900 December 19, 2015 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Meaninglessness of the god concept Captain Scarlet 7 2829 September 15, 2015 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: Alex25
  What is Supernatural? ErGingerbreadMandude 50 9606 September 14, 2015 at 10:35 am
Last Post: robvalue
  One philosophical argument for existence of supernatural. Mystic 59 15782 July 20, 2015 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Open challenge regarding the supernatural robvalue 38 6046 May 20, 2015 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More