Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Trump presidency
The Trump presidency
What is the best case scenario with a Trump presidency,  realistically speaking, such as you can imagine it? Let's discuss both the good and the bad that might happen and why. 

Best outcome that I can think of is that he maintains his independent attitude and fights with the Republicans as much as with the Democrats, all the while getting brilliant advice and help from the people that will end up in his administration. 

What I'd like to see is an apolitical presidency that is ingenious enough to play both sides and push forward its own agendas, hopefully rational ones. 

Of course this is a very long shot and this is merely a symptom of my idealistic mindset coming to grips with reality. But what if. . . ? And what else ?
RE: The Trump presidency
Best scenario? Trump and Pence will choke on each other's d*cks and die... Tongue
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Best realistic scenario Big Grin
Best case scenario: his administration is as much a clusterfuck as his campaign, and he is so disorganized and preoccupied with Twitter wars that he can't accomplish anything he or his cabinet wants.

Worst case scenario:

Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Obama wanted to invest in infrastructure, but was blocked by congress. Trump wants to invest in infrastructure, and congress will give him what he wants. It would have been wiser to do it when we were in recession to shorten the recovery, and I have some concerns about overspending when we should be building our reserves back up, but at least we'll have something for the money we spend.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Trump also wants term limits for Congress, something I very much agree with.

The major worry I have is that the Republicans in the last years of the Obama administration set a new standard for Congress: obstructionism. Throwing tantrums, refusing to do their job r.e. the Supreme Court, and shutting down the government, just because they disagree with the President. Now, what happens in 2 years if the Democrats retake the Senate? Anyone honestly believe the Democrats won't seek to take revenge and do the same things?
(November 11, 2016 at 10:43 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote: Best scenario? Trump and Pence will choke on each other's d*cks and die... Tongue

(November 11, 2016 at 10:45 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: Best realistic scenario Big Grin

My bolding on Homeless Nutter's Asterisk.

The best realistic scenario is the following.

Trump and Pence will choke on each other's dicks and die.

I mean, without the Asterisk.... I mean seriously what's the chance he's going to show up?

Brilliant advice? From guys like Ben Carson, Rudy Guliani, and Chris Christie?

Best case scenario?

-No supreme court justices die over the next 4 years. Especially not Ginsburg.
-Democrats take back the senate in 2 years
-Companies take a stand against FADA, refuse to do business with people who discriminate against gays and transgender
-States don't implement a voucher system because of protests from parents
-Republicans start seeing the Iran Deal as 'good' once Obama is out of office.
-Congress doesn't let Trump start his trade-war with China
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Sherman's thoughts on the matter, from an article in Scientific American. 

https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...quo-s-win/

Quote:When it appeared Trump would win, the Dow plunged 800 points in after-hours trading, and pundits predicted [Wednesday] would be the worst economic collapse since 9/11 and the 2008 meltdown. As I write this, the Dow is up 265 points, the NASDAQ up 43 points. Predictions are hard to make, especially about the future, particularly in elections and economics. With that caveat I predict:
Markets will be fine and economic growth will continue steady and may even improve one half to 1 percent in 2017.
No wall will be built on the Mexican border (and Canadians will not build a wall blocking us!).
We will not change our nuclear policies, we will not adopt “no first use” policy (as Obama did not either), and we will go another four years without using nuclear weapons.
North Korea ... oh who the hell knows what that wingnut will do, but very likely nothing will change and eventually the country will go out of business with their failing economy, and North and South Korea will reunite just like East and West Germany did.
Putin will hesitate to challenge NATO or take further territory in eastern Europe.
ISIS will be completely eradicated before the end of 2017, but global terrorism will not be, as no president or government can reduce it to zero, but it will continue to fail as a means of bringing about political change.
Tensions in the Middle East will continue as they have since I was in college and voted for the first time in 1972. Some things never change.
Stay calm everyone. We have a strong republic that will continue growing stronger. We have lots of checks and balances in place to prevent any extreme actions taken by anyone, and as Pres. Obama has been reiterating this past year to those pessimists who think things are bad and getting worse, this is and will continue to be the best time there has ever been to be alive.
—Michael Shermer, publisher, Skeptic magazine; monthly columnist,Scientific American; Presidential Fellow, Chapman University; author ofThe Moral Arc
I think Cecelia's pretty close. I would also add:

- Improvements to our health care system. Yes, I think it's possible, though I'm not counting on it. I do not believe it would be politically feasible to pass a system taking health care away from the ~25 million people who now have it but didn't have it before the ACA. The mandate that pre-existing conditions not be a bar to coverage remains (I do believe this will be the case)
- Dramatic reduction in foreign interventionism. The "free world" now looks to Merkel and Trudeau for guidance; I actually think it will be nice to be out of the spotlight. As long as we don't demand it by doing increasingly dumb things on an international scale.
- Deportations don't dramatically increase (they've been at historically high rates recently, if I understand correctly)
- Money isn't wasted on things like drug testing for welfare recipients and such
- Trump's tax plan (projected to create a deficit of 6 trillion) is tempered and combined with the current system, and changes are made gradually (Trump's idea to make up deficits from decreased income tax has been to "cut fraud" and "reduce inefficiency" and such. I don't think any democrat or any fiscally-minded republican will let him get away with tax cuts without articulating in a far more concrete manner where the money (or reduced spending) is going to come from)
- There is a sudden infusion of money from companies (especially in the energy sector; manufacturing isn't coming back) that see Trump as an opportunity to expand. Best-case scenario, of course, involves an ever-increasing, galvanized majority of the populace demanding that some of this new energy money be redirected to environmental causes. (BTW, best case scenario for the environment is that it's not... that much... worse off than before. Maybe Scandinavia can cover for us for 4 years)
- The end of the war on drugs
- The new generation of Berniecrats and Warrenites is born. Increased push back from the millennial demographic, which is finally becoming politically powerful. A galvanized "new democratic party."
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1063 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 36913 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  Independent Voters on the trump presidency Joods 31 2669 October 18, 2018 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How will the Trump Presidency end? (Poll) TheBeardedDude 55 14669 October 18, 2018 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Start a war, save your Presidency? Jehanne 10 1834 May 12, 2018 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I'm awfully confused: how do Trump supporters relate to Trump NuclearEnergy 11 3167 March 7, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  This will be Trumps' presidency very soon NuclearEnergy 50 8797 February 19, 2017 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: DarkerEnergy
  How will the Trump presidency end? Mr Greene 27 4190 February 7, 2017 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Is Trump's election bad for Trump's businesses? Jehanne 22 4135 November 15, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: CWoods
  Donald Trump's doctor regrets saying "Trump will be the healtheist president" ReptilianPeon 3 1683 August 30, 2016 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon