Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious expressions in everyday use
Just musing to myself about all the religious expressions that I use despite being an atheist, so thought I'd post a few and invite y'all to join in. Might even pick up a few new ones [emoji38]

Fucking hell
Go to hell
Jesus Christ!
Jesus H Christ
Oh my god!
Christ on a bike
When hell freezes over
Snowballs chance in hell
Is the pope catholic?
For the love of god
Amen to that
Better the devil you know
I'm in heaven
You're an angel
The devil is in the details
That's karma
Bless you
RE: Religious expressions in everyday use
JFC
Jesus Christ on a cracker
God dammit
Jesus, Mary and Joseph
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
By the hammer of thor!

Sweet odins raven!

By the black beard of Zeus.

Admittedly I don't use those as much as I should.

Oh Moses smell the roses.

For the love of God, for the love of Christ.

Bism allah or however you spell it.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Expressions I never use:
Fucking hell (definitely never)
Go to hell (definitely never; when cursing someone, I prefer to say "Go fuck yourself" or "Go fuck your [insert parent]" than even mentioning hell.
Jesus Christ! (definitely never)
Jesus H Christ (definitely never)
Oh my god! (definitely never; I usually say "Fuck", "Shit" or something similar. Sometimes I even use the expression "Fuck me" when I'm really surprised.)
Snowballs chance in hell (definitely never)
Amen to that (definitely never)
Better the devil you know (definitely never)
For the love of god (definitely never)
The devil is in the details (definitely never)
That's karma (definitely never; instead, I say "Life's a bitch".)

Expressions I've never heard:
Christ on a bike
Is the pope catholic?

Expressions I use because I don't know of any better to replace them with:
When hell freezes over
Bless you

Expressions I replace with the line in the brackets:
I'm in heaven (This is paradise; I'm Thunder in paradise, referring to that 90's tv show called "Thunder in paradise" with Hulk Hogan)
You're an angel (You're hotter than hell, referring to Airbourne's song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO058KboRkU )
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
I've got about as much chance as becoming the next pope!
OMG..
By the great, golden, greasy gonads of God!

Or maybe that's just a local thing...

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Jesus H Titties
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
Gave up the ghost

Explanation:
the 'ghost' is the immortal soul. When you die, your last gasp entrains your immortal soul, and that is how it exits the body. So, when you 'give up the ghost' your physical body dies and your immortal soul is on it's way to be judged and then either granted access to heaven or cast into the abyss for it's infinite unending hideous torments in Hell.

This process mirrors BTW, how your immortal soul gets into your body, when you are BORN and take your FIRST GASP, you inspirate your immortal soul !! That is how you immortal soul gets into your body !! Before that first gasp, you do NOT have an immortal soul !! You are not a son (or daughter) of Adam, and you do not bear responsibility for original sin. Yet.

But once that first breath is taken upon successful birth, you are a living breathing soul, GOD SAID SO, THE BIBLE RECORDS THIS TRUTH INERRANTLY, AND BELIEVERS ARE REQUIRED TO BELIEVE IT AS GOD'S HOLY TRUTH.

There is quite a bit of confusion on this topic, I'll grant that, but confusion on such a simple concept is inexcusable and is actually heresy!

Don't be a heretic! Don't go to churches that preach HERESY !!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(December 2, 2016 at 8:31 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: By the great, golden, greasy gonads of God!

Or maybe that's just a local thing...

Boru

Nope. My grandma used that expression rather than call out "Bingo".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If God of Abraham is true, then why didnt he use his intelligent design to make a new Roeki 129 44893 July 9, 2017 at 2:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday? Casca 23 2919 October 25, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  The use of Religion to control, manipulate, and gain power MusicLovingAtheist 64 9208 September 29, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Pascal's wager: Why is anyone dumb enough to use it Lemonvariable72 6 3262 May 12, 2014 at 11:27 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Correct use of the word "Myth" The_Thinking_Theist 13 4892 January 11, 2014 at 5:54 am
Last Post: CYNIC
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32885 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  Deny Science and you Don't get to Use Science Eilonnwy 21 14202 February 16, 2012 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Napoléon