Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The changing religious face of Ireland
The changing religious face of Ireland
We had a census here last year, and the first tranche of results came out the other day, which can be found here.

With respect to religion the census is finally beginning to reflect what polls and surveys have been showing for years, that over ten percent of the country are openly religious (given the results of the catholic bishop's survey of their flock seven years ago, I'm confident the number of actual catholics* is at about 20% in this country), and now shows 9.8% of the country openly stating they have no religion, with a further 2.5% not saying (which is mostly a case of nones when census figures are checked). That is 1/8 of the country are openly arreligious.

And taking the following graph, we can actually see (from mapping the numbers across from age group to age group with each successive census) that people who claim no religion tend to keep it in later life:
[Image: UeLRBgQ.png]

So I'm going to call it here, but I actually think Ireland is getting very close to the tipping point where the increase in arreligion is just going to hit a critical mass and become the dominant position vis a vis religion (if it hasn't done so already). The major political parties are going to have to change their attitude to religion, and sharpish.

*i.e. those catholics who believe in god, the resurrection, the seven sacrements, the right of the bishop of Rome to interfere in all aspects of a person's life, the right of priests to bugger any kids they fancy, regular mass going, &c.

PS Irish looks to be in trouble as well, something I'm less pleased about.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
RE: The changing religious face of Ireland
Good news about Irish religiosity. I'm less concerned about Irish - it's been on the track to a dead language for decades. Once those who learned it as kids have died, Gaeilge will become something to study as history, not as language.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: The changing religious face of Ireland
Seems like Catholics and Protestants all across Ireland and Northern Ireland might yet coalesce to immolate the heathens in their midst.

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pope's visit to Ireland turning into a fiasco? Fake Messiah 11 2270 August 27, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  What's up with Ireland? TrueChristian 32 4764 February 27, 2016 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  What's the most face-palm-worthy statement you have ever heard from a priest/preacher drfuzzy 150 29563 August 29, 2015 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Jesus face appears on muddy bank TubbyTubby 24 3580 March 26, 2015 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: TubbyTubby
  American's evangelising in Ireland. BloodyHeretic 6 1915 October 2, 2011 at 6:14 am
Last Post: leo-rcc
  Face of Jesus on a tea towel Welsh cake 6 2817 April 7, 2011 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  Oregon faith-healing parents fight to get baby back, face criminal charges binny 10 3347 August 4, 2010 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Thor