Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American's evangelising in Ireland.
American's evangelising in Ireland.
I had the pleasure of chatting to a few zealots from the states today. They were on the street handing out leaflets about ETERNITY. They accosted myself and a female friend of mine and asked us "If you guys die tonight, do you know where you're going?". Very direct I thought. Now as it happens this friend of mine makes Hitchens look like a mouse. We gave each other a look, you know, a Look, and the conversation continued as follows:

BH: I think I'll probably be going to the hospital for a post-mortem, unless I died in hospital, in which case I won't be going anywhere. I'm not sick though, so there's little chance of that, unless I develop an acute illness in the next few hours. Of course I could have an accident. You'd really have to be more specific.

Evangelist: I'm not talking about your body, I'm talking about your soul!

BH: Are you saying my body isn't me?

Evangelist: No but your body doesn't go to heaven when you die, I'm asking where your soul would end up if you died tonight. In heaven or hell?

BH's Friend: Probably KFC.

BH: Yeah, that or the pub.

Evangelist: Come on guys, be serious for a second.

BH's Friend: We are being serious. Why is heaven and hell the only option? I don't fancy either of them. I fucking hate mass and saunas were never my thing.

Evangelist: It'll be a lot hotter than a sauna young lady! Seriously...(A lot of waffle where he explained to us poor Irish heathens about the basics of the christian doctrine of heaven and hell and eternity).... So guys, what's it gonna be? Heaven or hell?

BH: Well that's all very interesting, but I have one pretty important question before I sign away my soul.

Evangelist: Go ahead.

BH: How do you know all this?

Evangelist: It's in the bible.

BH: Yes, but how do you know the bible is true?

Evangelist: Because it's the word of the lord.

BH: How do you know that?

Evangelist: It says it in the bible.

BH: ...Thinking....

Evangelist: *looking embarrassed* Well obviously there's belief and personal experience and...

BH's Friend: Yeah, I'm gonna stick with KFC thanks very much.

Evangelist: But it's ETERNITY we're talking about here and..

BH: You're a fucking idiot.

Evangelist: Hey relax, I'm just trying to help you here, you could end up in hell forever if you don't repent!

BH: How do you know? You don't know the first thing about me.

Evangelist: Well you're obviously not a christian.

BH: So? What makes you think your heaven is the real one? Or your god for that matter? What about Zeus or Odin? Maybe I can't go to McDonald's for eternity but why not Valhalla?

Evangelist: Those myths obviously aren't real, look how many christians there are in the world today, there's got to be something to it don't you think?

BH's Friend: No I fucking don't! Give me one shred of evidence that your superstition is above any of the others, and popularity is not evidence.

After a bit more bluffing and general unpleasantness on our part he left, looking deflated.

Now is it just me, or is it people like that, forcing their beliefs in your face and obviously not having a fucking clue, the most annoying thing about religion? And they flew, to IRELAND to do this? Fucking bastards!
[Image: bloodyheretic.png]

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
Einstein

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life.

- John Lennon
RE: American's evangelising in Ireland.
I thought that in Ireland "eternity" was defined as the amount of time it took to get your glass re-filled?
He accosted you?

Doesn't happen much here because we're allowed to kill them.

Wow! Really? Of course,would I lie Angel Cloud
Feel our pain.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Welcome to my world. Arrgghh
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(October 1, 2011 at 9:41 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I thought that in Ireland "eternity" was defined as the amount of time it took to get your glass re-filled?

Oh, so that's what he meant? Where is your soul going to be for approximately the first three seconds after you die? Jeez, he was making an awful big deal over nothing then...
[Image: bloodyheretic.png]

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
Einstein

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life.

- John Lennon
American's what is evangelising in Ireland?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pope's visit to Ireland turning into a fiasco? Fake Messiah 11 2270 August 27, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  I am confused by American christians downbeatplumb 60 11943 October 1, 2017 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The changing religious face of Ireland GUBU 2 751 April 13, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What's up with Ireland? TrueChristian 32 4760 February 27, 2016 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Huffington post article today: "My Emancipation from American Christianity" drfuzzy 35 13594 December 6, 2015 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  American Bible-Thumper in Scandinavia zebo-the-fat 4 1693 November 10, 2014 at 1:28 am
Last Post: FifthElement
  The bitter tears of the American Christian supermajority Rob_W75 22 4209 August 11, 2014 at 9:45 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  What really goes on in American churches. Napoléon 24 8974 April 5, 2012 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  American Military proves scientifically that prayer does not heal people. reverendjeremiah 8 4648 December 22, 2011 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels
  American Cross thesummerqueen 7 3109 November 7, 2011 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Ace Otana