Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christianity is Dead, Long live the rEvolution!
Exclamation 
Christianity is Dead, Long live the rEvolution!
Charles Darwin's great work "The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection" was the nail in the coffin for the Christian religion. In fact, the theory of Evolution was so feared by the church that it resulted in Atheists being jailed for blasphemy.What shocked me when I was studying this is that "In Scotland until the 18th century it was punishable by death, and in England it is both a statutory and a common-law offense." The church had so much power so late in human history that its religious laws resulted in imprisonment of people that did nothing more than tell the truth.

But the fact of Evolution survived the ignorant peasant thinkers of the time to become the accepted scientific explanation of the plethora of species existing on this planet. So why the controversy with the church? The church knew that it would spell its death if this scientific fact was made known. Evolution meant that man was not created by an all-powerful creator around 6,000 years ago but rather evolved from single-cell organisms over a period of billions of years. Whilst there is an obvious and more than slight discrepancy between 6,000 years and billions of years, the challenge was not one of age but one of "ethics".

Christianity states that god created Adam and Even in the garden of Eden some 6,000 years ago with one rule only. Do not partake of the fruit of the tree of knowledge. Of course they broke that solitary "ethical" rule (I'm looking at you Eve) and the result was suffering and pain for all the generations to come. The concept of original sin was born. With the concept of original sin can the concept of absolution and forgiveness of sins so the xtian creator-god being sent his only-begotten son to earth as a sacrifice to absolve the sins of those that believe in him.

Wow, stirring stuff. Pity that Darwin proved that there was no Adam and Eve in a garden of Eden, therefore there was no original sin and consequently, no need for a saviour. JC disappears in an intellectual puff of smoke.

So whilst science cannot disprove the existence of a mythical creator-god entity (so all the god-based religions are still safe, eg Islam, Judaism, Hinduism) it can and it has proven that there is no original sin and therefore Christianity is based on a myth.

And whilst scientific proof is not going to be enough to turn the "true believer" away from their xtian mythology, at least atheists can rest easy that the proof is there and there is no fear of being judged after death (by a xtian god anyway).
RE: Christianity is Dead, Long live the rEvolution!
(December 17, 2017 at 7:35 pm)Bow Before Zeus Wrote: Charles Darwin's great work "The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection" was the nail in the coffin for the Christian religion...

This was as far as I read.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
Trying to destroy Christianity with science is like trying to hit a home run with a golf club. Wrong game, Wrong tool.

Christianity uses two very powerful emotions, fear and guilt. Coming at these emotions with logic is like trying to see the moon through a microscope.

Besides, there're too many people making too much money. Until the government finds another opium for the masses, Christianity isn't going anywhere.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(December 17, 2017 at 7:57 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Trying to destroy Christianity with science is like trying to hit a home run with a golf club. Wrong game, Wrong tool.

Well, that's incorrect actually. Your statement is true for the other theistic religions but not for xtianity. This particular religion has a specific Achilles heel which can be disproven by science. All science has to do is show there is no such thing as Adam and Eve and xtianity is disproven.

Quote:Christianity uses two very powerful emotions, fear and guilt.  Coming at these emotions with logic is like trying to see the moon through a microscope.

Besides, there're too many people making too much money. Until the government finds another opium for the masses, Christianity isn't going anywhere.

The emotion, the money and the power are why xtianity continues and the deluded will remain deluded because of these reasons. No amount of logic will sway them. It doesn't mean that the logic should not be expounded. It should be laid out for all to see and understand even if it does not dissuade them from their mythology.

Otherwise we may as well teach creationism, Adam, Eve and the garden of Eden in the science class!!! Hell no
(December 18, 2017 at 12:13 am)Bow Before Zeus Wrote:
(December 17, 2017 at 7:57 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Trying to destroy Christianity with science is like trying to hit a home run with a golf club. Wrong game, Wrong tool.

Well, that's incorrect actually. Your statement is true for the other theistic religions but not for xtianity. This particular religion has a specific Achilles heel which can be disproven by science. All science has to do is show there is no such thing as Adam and Eve and xtianity is disproven.
Please state how science disproves that "Adam and Eve are metaphors( i.e not to be taken literally) for our creation" Dodgy
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(December 18, 2017 at 12:33 am)Aoi Magi Wrote:
(December 18, 2017 at 12:13 am)Bow Before Zeus Wrote: Well, that's incorrect actually. Your statement is true for the other theistic religions but not for xtianity. This particular religion has a specific Achilles heel which can be disproven by science. All science has to do is show there is no such thing as Adam and Eve and xtianity is disproven.
Please state how science disproves that "Adam and Eve are metaphors( i.e not to be taken literally) for our creation"  Dodgy

Everything in the bible starts as being literal. It was written that way. As science closes the gaps of knowledge, the god of the gaps gets smaller and smaller and "theologians" have to continually "reinterpret" their texts to still be relevant. So, only the core of "real xtians" will still interpret the bible literally as its writers intended.

George Orwell has shown that anything can be relabeled and reinterpreted. So war becomes peace and love becomes hate. After all, Ronald Ray-gun did name a nuclear weapon, the most destructive war of mass destruction the "Peacemaker"!!! So you can call Adam and Eve "Bill and Bob the flowerpot men" but your contortions will not get you out of the fact that xtianity has been proven to be a mythology.
(December 17, 2017 at 7:35 pm)Bow Before Zeus Wrote: Charles Darwin's great work "The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection" was the nail in the coffin for the Christian religion. In fact, the theory of Evolution was so feared by the church that it resulted in Atheists being jailed for blasphemy.What shocked me when I was studying this is that "In Scotland until the 18th century it was punishable by death, and in England it is both a statutory and a common-law offense." The church had so much power so late in human history that its religious laws resulted in imprisonment of people that did nothing more than tell the truth.

But the fact of Evolution survived the ignorant peasant thinkers of the time to become the accepted scientific explanation of the plethora of species existing on this planet. So why the controversy with the church? The church knew that it would spell its death if this scientific fact was made known. Evolution meant that man was not created by an all-powerful creator around 6,000 years ago but rather evolved from single-cell organisms over a period of billions of years. Whilst there is an obvious and more than slight discrepancy between 6,000 years and billions of years, the challenge was not one of age but one of "ethics".

Christianity states that god created Adam and Even in the garden of Eden some 6,000 years ago with one rule only. Do not partake of the fruit of the tree of knowledge. Of course they broke that solitary "ethical" rule (I'm looking at you Eve) and the result was suffering and pain for all the generations to come. The concept of original sin was born. With the concept of original sin can the concept of absolution and forgiveness of sins so the xtian creator-god being sent his only-begotten son to earth as a sacrifice to absolve the sins of those that believe in him.

Wow, stirring stuff. Pity that Darwin proved that there was no Adam and Eve in a garden of Eden, therefore there was no original sin and consequently, no need for a saviour. JC disappears in an intellectual puff of smoke.

So whilst science cannot disprove the existence of a mythical creator-god entity (so all the god-based religions are still safe, eg Islam, Judaism, Hinduism) it can and it has proven that there is no original sin and therefore Christianity is based on a myth.

And whilst scientific proof is not going to be enough to turn the "true believer" away from their xtian mythology, at least atheists can rest easy that the proof is there and there is no fear of being judged after death (by a xtian god anyway).

First of all the Bible doesn't say that Adam and Eve were created 6000 years ago, that is an assumption of man. Secondly you need to show your claimed proof that the theory of evolution has now been proven and that it has proven there was no Adam and Eve. Show me were science has proven there is no original sin, I've never seen that in any reliable scientific texts. Lastly you better fear the judgement because it's coming your way if you do not change, and it will be you who decides your eternal destination, it will be God who grants you your decision. 

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(December 18, 2017 at 2:51 am)Godscreated Wrote: First of all the Bible doesn't say that Adam and Eve were created 6000 years ago, that is an assumption of man.

The genealogies of Genesis record the line of descent from Adam through Noah to Abraham. From this genealogy, the age of the earth has been determined to be approximately 6,000 old. This is not an assumption of man but a close reading, study and calculation of the literal bible genealogy. Of course, you can reject the bible but as Henry Morris, a leading Young Earth Creationist, explained it, "Christians who flirt with less-than-literal readings of biblical texts are also flirting with theological disaster." and Christians must "either ... believe God's Word all the way, or not at all."

So which one are you? A xtian that believe's god's word all the way or not at all???

Quote:Secondly you need to show your claimed proof that the theory of evolution has now been proven and that it has proven there was no Adam and Eve.

For goodness sakes, man, don't take my word for it! Why don't you take yourself to the Natural History Museum in London and examine the millions of pieces of evidence for evolution, many of them collected by the great man, Charles Darwin himself.

Quote: Show me were science has proven there is no original sin, I've never seen that in any reliable scientific texts.

Right, we have already been through this, but I can repeat it for you. Evolution proves that there was no Adam and Eve. With no Adam and Even, there was no eating of the forbidden fruit. With no eating of the said forbidden fruit, there was no sin against god committed. With no sin against, god, no original sin, no need for a saviour. Ipso facto, your god disappears in a puff of smoke.

Quote:Lastly you better fear the judgement because it's coming your way if you do not change, and it will be you who decides your eternal destination, it will be God who grants you your decision. 

GC

I have no fear. I laugh at your pathetic little threat. I look at you threatening me as I would look upon a voodoo witchdoctor shaking his death stick at me! Your threats are primitive therefore laughable.

Hilarious
Sure, Bow Before Zeus, evolution among other scientific discoveries (like genetics that also shows Noah and Adam never existed) did pretty much undermine Christianity - heck even Pope Pius XII admitted it in his encyclical Humani Generis where he wrote: "When, however, there is question of another conjectural opinion, namely polygenism [our descent from ancestors beyond Adam and Eve], the children of the Church by no means enjoy such liberty. For the faithful cannot embrace that opinion which maintains that either after Adam there existed on this earth true men who did not take their origin through natural generation from him as from the first parent of all, or that Adam represents a certain number of first parents. Now it is in no way apparent how such an opinion can be reconciled with that which the sources of revealed truth and the documents of the Teaching Authority of the Church propose with regard to original sin, which proceeds from a sin actually committed by an individual Adam and which, through generation, is passed on to all and is in everyone as his own."

So yes honest people did leave Christianity behind, while other simply deny science is right - and it is a mentality that they rather take their "facts" from authority (like Bible which they think was written by God) then just some men and women that observe world around us.
While the third kind of Christians (which seem to be in highest number?) simply decided that God is in another dimension: dimension of human imagination, so they just imagine what ever they want to gap differences between reality and fantasy and is actually a taboo topic for them.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Ration can't beat religion . Why ? Because religion for many people represents comfort, of course you will say that you can have emotional comfort without religion , and that is true but what is the reason for a religious person to let go of his comfort ? For most there is none, this is the reason why science can't destroy religion , altough it may prove that religion is wrong in some cases it doesn't give emotional comfort( psychologi does but many people go there just for clinical issues, not very popular in many countrys, in mine it is almost non-existent) , without a replacement of religion people won't leave it behind .

You can also say that ration can beat emotion , in many cases that isn't true. Why? Because your emotions are in strong correlation with your needs, ration can help you aquire and understand concepts but it can't dismiss your needs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ex-Pope Benedict XVI blames 1960s revolution for sex abuse zebo-the-fat 27 3423 April 17, 2019 at 10:55 am
Last Post: brewer
  How long did Jesus spend in Hell? Gawdzilla Sama 43 7023 February 5, 2018 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  How long will Christians wait for Jesus? Fake Messiah 150 32315 February 24, 2017 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  How long was the rape scandal going on? Nihilist Virus 11 2767 June 13, 2016 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6803 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Joshua long day? truth search 14 3498 December 22, 2015 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  How Long Will Christians Wait for the End Time to Come? Rhondazvous 237 35892 September 3, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8497 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18329 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  What Took Jesus So Long? Beta Ray Bill 61 13254 October 8, 2013 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Searching4truth