Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are nowdays "terrorists" actually terrorists?
Are nowdays "terrorists" actually terrorists?
For a long time, the head has represented control, main part of something, etc., and that without it, the rest cannot function.

So, this idea made me wonder, if terrorists want to create actual chaos, why do they limit themselves to the murdering of simple civilians? Why not go for the "head", meaning people with political power such as presidents, ministers, etc? By cutting the head off, you will actually create chaos in a country.

Kill a homeless, nobody cares. Kill the president, the country trembles. 

Could it be then that terrorism is a business, and it lacks a real purpose?
RE: Are nowdays "terrorists" actually terrorists?
It should also be noted thaton a ship the head is where you take a dump.

That' s gotta figure into the equation.

Wink
If the president gets offed by some terrorist, that individual may just receive a cigar, and the key to the city. [Image: Gagged.png]
(February 17, 2019 at 6:03 pm)Macoleco Wrote: For a long time, the head has represented control, main part of something, etc., and that without it, the rest cannot function.

So, this idea made me wonder, if terrorists want to create actual chaos, why do they limit themselves to the murdering of simple civilians? Why not go for the "head", meaning people with political power such as presidents, ministers, etc? By cutting the head off, you will actually create chaos in a country.

There are very few axioms I agree with. One of them is, "One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist".

That part is true. But it is still bullshit knowing all 7 billion humans live on the same planet, and all compete for resources. 

So the real argument for humanity is greed is what divides our species and far to often than not, those who deserve power lose to those who lust for power.
(February 17, 2019 at 6:03 pm)Macoleco Wrote: For a long time, the head has represented control, main part of something, etc., and that without it, the rest cannot function.

Terrorists don't want to create chaos, at least not as anything more than a means to an end.  The slaughter of civilians is done to create fear and to pressure heads of state into giving terrorists what they want.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Strikes on the civilian population are strikes on the soft underbelly of a society. It's just about defenseless, and that's the message. I did this to you today. I can do this to you tomorrow. I can do this to you over and over, and there's not much you can do about it. You have to negotiate with me, or I'm not going to stop. Assassinating a president or a general is a nice trophy, but its not really kicking a society where it hurts.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.

The thing is, a lot of the time, terrorist groups don't really have much of a master plan. I think I remember reading that al-Qaeda apparently worked under the assumption that if they just kept doing attacks like they did, the governments of the world would eventually just let them do what they want, even letting them set up a new Caliphate. I can't find exactly where I read that now, but it seems that that's kind of par for the course when dealing with terrorist groups. Guys like Max Abrahams have looked at the psychology of terrorists and noticed that the ideologies are far less coherent than one would expect a group that really wants change and will stop at nothing to get it to be. Sometimes, leaders of terrorist groups can't even explain what it is they even want. And if they do get what they want somehow, they're very likely to change what it is they want anyway.

Have you ever seen Four Lions? Because that's kind of the way I understand how terrorist groups actually work.

Apparently, Chris Morris based this on actual research he made on terrorism after 9/11 and the whole "Muslims bombing a mosque to radicalise the moderates" plan that Barry cooks up is based on MI5 surveillance transcripts verbatim.

And besides, if you want to actually do something to legitimately create chaos on a mass scale like you suggest, I'd argue you're no longer in the category of terrorist, but revolutionary.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(February 17, 2019 at 8:01 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:

The thing is, a lot of the time, terrorist groups don't really have much of a master plan. I think I remember reading that al-Qaeda apparently worked under the assumption that if they just kept doing attacks like they did, the governments of the world would eventually just let them do what they want, even letting them set up a new Caliphate. I can't find exactly where I read that now, but it seems that that's kind of par for the course when dealing with terrorist groups. Guys like Max Abrahams have looked at the psychology of terrorists and noticed that the ideologies are far less coherent than one would expect a group that really wants change and will stop at nothing to get it to be. Sometimes, leaders of terrorist groups can't even explain what it is they even want. And if they do get what they want somehow, they're very likely to change what it is they want anyway.

Have you ever seen Four Lions? Because that's kind of the way I understand how terrorist groups actually work.

Apparently, Chris Morris based this on actual research he made on terrorism after 9/11 and the whole "Muslims bombing a mosque to radicalise the moderates" plan that Barry cooks up is based on MI5 surveillance transcripts verbatim.

And besides, if you want to actually do something to legitimately create chaos on a mass scale like you suggest, I'd argue you're no longer in the category of terrorist, but revolutionary.

I don't know. Terrorism has changed a lot because the way terrorist organizations have had to change the way that they are organized. Take more traditional terrorist groups such as Irish Home Rule, Abu Sayyaf in the Philippines, or FALN in Peurto Rico. They had a fairly recognizable organizational structure and fairly specific agenda. As we got a lot better at infiltrating terrorist organizations, organizational structure broke down, and cells started to operate a lot more independently. Any terrorist organization would prefer to have more structure and the ability to plan and coordinate between cells. But that just isn't possible anymore. We've really mastered getting in there and working the cells for intel. So things are much more self directed by individual cells. At the time of 9/11, it was fairly clear what al queda wanted-- a withdrawal of US forces from Saudi Arabia, as their number one objective. They have a general theory that we can't maintain our military spending forever, and that eventually something will have to break.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Islamic Mafia Criminal Terrorists Gorups and insecurity in Iran AVMXF 22 2004 September 8, 2023 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: AVMXF
  Actually, FuckFace, This Is Precisely The Time Minimalist 4 551 September 8, 2017 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Do people actually believe Rex Tillerson? NuclearEnergy 14 3751 July 10, 2017 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  No One Actually Wants an Equal Society InquiringMind 69 7983 March 21, 2017 at 11:31 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Damned White Xtian Terrorists Minimalist 21 3590 January 14, 2016 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Did the Terrorists Win? Shining_Finger 16 3262 September 21, 2015 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  One of the two terrorists involved in the Boston bombing has been killed A Theist 79 39352 April 24, 2013 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  America is home to many terrorists groups cratehorus 5 5674 April 5, 2013 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Romney gave terrorists what they want cratehorus 22 7702 September 14, 2012 at 1:32 am
Last Post: cratehorus
  More Domestic Terrorists..... Minimalist 22 6215 August 31, 2012 at 2:19 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused