Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why isn't Android more serious contender to Windows?
Why isn't Android more serious contender to Windows?
I'm talking about home computers. I mean why couldn't someone choose to have Android or Windows on their laptop/ PC? So far Android has been the weak one and although phones are getting stronger to even rival low end laptops and PCs, Android still doesn't offer alternative to Windows.
I mean take one of the most popular programs people use like Word processor, on Android you don't have any app that you can work on seriously. There is Google Documents but that's online.
Or 3D drawing program. Or games are still much simplified, although "Fortnite" made its way to Android recently.

Or maybe I'm not familiar with the whole thing and Android already rivals Windows in that aspect?
RE: Why isn't Android more serious contender to Windows?
Never used Android, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t even meant for desktop/laptop computers.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
My take on it is that Android is made for ARM processors which have a reduced instruction set when compared to the x86 (with 64 bit extensions to x64) processors.

Android apps have revolved around the use of the touchscreen, not to mention accelerometers and other sensors you wouldn't normally find on a laptop and much less on a desktop.
That said, there are a few Android "laptops".... that are more tablets with keyboard than laptops, but oh well...
I recently purchased a Pixelbook. I don't think I will ever go back to a Windows based system.

And as the Rye said, it isn't meant to be a replacement for a laptop.

It's like saying the Landcruiser is excellent for off roading, why isn't the RS7 a more serious contender to it?
There is absolutely no reason why android cannot replace the desktop.

But one insider put his finger on the root cause. FOCUS.

M$ is focused on one OS and only one. That's their job. That's what they're paid for.

Open source development is predominantly a labor of love from literally millions of different people with millions of different ideas and ideologies on what an OS should ultimately be.
No one single point of focus.

Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(June 19, 2019 at 12:37 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: I'm talking about home computers. I mean why couldn't someone choose to have Android or Windows on their laptop/ PC? So far Android has been the weak one and although phones are getting stronger to even rival low end laptops and PCs, Android still doesn't offer alternative to Windows.
I mean take one of the most popular programs people use like Word processor, on Android you don't have any app that you can work on seriously. There is Google Documents but that's online.
Or 3D drawing program. Or games are still much simplified, although "Fortnite" made its way to Android recently.

Or maybe I'm not familiar with the whole thing and Android already rivals Windows in that aspect?

Look at this ;-
https://technicalexplore.com/best-androi...r-pc-2019/
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

I guess what I'm trying to say that Android could seriously or at least semi seriously rival Windows on laptops and PCs if they gave people what they (mostly) look for in laptops and PCs, and that to me seems four things: 1. word processor, 2. 3D modeling, 3. photo editing, 4. gaming.

Now for some reason, as far as I am aware, there are only really lame word processing applications, unless you want to work on-line. I mean it seems to me that Word on Windows 95 was far greater than any of the apks for writing available for Android. So I don't get why can't they make some decent word processor for Android.

When it comes to 3D modeling there doesn't seem to be available any decent or even acceptable 3D program. There isn't even Sketchup which is owned by Google. Or someone could make Blender available for Android. Not to mention CAD programs.

There is some software available for photo editing and I guess people could go with it.

Gaming - there is, as far as I know, some popular more demanding games available like Minecraft and Fortnite, the rest would, I guess, require companies to re-program them into Android. And I don't know maybe GTA5 or RDR could not work on Android.
Then again there seem to be emulators that let people play like PS2 games on Android.

(June 19, 2019 at 4:05 am)pocaracas Wrote: Android apps have revolved around the use of the touchscreen, not to mention accelerometers and other sensors you wouldn't normally find on a laptop and much less on a desktop.

Maybe but you also have Andoid TV boxes which don't feature touchscreen and even consoles that feature Android games.
Getting a good stable 3d subsystem into an OS won't happen overnight. DX is on its 13th version, is proprietary and because Windows was so ubiquitous, every hardware manufacturer got into bed with them through fear of fomo (fear of missing out). And then you need massive 3rd party software developers to jump onboard and code progs, games,apps accordingly.

It will take a very long time even if a competitor wants to. And if M$ catch on that there's serious competition to the desktop market (Apple is about 4%), then M$ would probably give it away for free and just make their money on the apps. (The OS is one of the cheapest pieces of software M$ sell anyway for this reason)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I guess the real answer to my question is that if someone wants an alternative to Windows they'll get Linux. Why bother with Android since Linux can even run programs designed for Windows.
Case closed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows defender has, once again, incorrectly identified my program as malware! FlatAssembler 36 925 February 22, 2024 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  [Serious] Windows Movie Maker Help T.J. 6 705 November 29, 2021 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: AniKoferBo
  Windows Security plus Win 11 Oldandeasilyconfused 2 351 November 25, 2021 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Windows 11. Install it; Yes/ No/Wait Oldandeasilyconfused 24 2179 November 10, 2021 at 10:52 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Windows 11? Angrboda 29 2357 September 23, 2021 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: no one
  Anybody ever run Windows 10 on server hardware? popeyespappy 1 539 November 6, 2019 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Getting a Windows 98 game to run on modern windows vulcanlogician 23 2208 January 19, 2019 at 7:09 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  HELP! The Page Breaks in All My Documents Have Disappeared in Windows 2013 Rhondazvous 18 3880 January 9, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Question about Android rado84 17 1917 August 24, 2017 at 1:24 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Windows 10 Running Slow A Theist 30 8084 June 2, 2017 at 5:46 am
Last Post: Joods