Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows defender has, once again, incorrectly identified my program as malware!
Windows defender has, once again, incorrectly identified my program as malware!
Yesterday, I ported my solution of the N Queens Puzzle from the WebAssembly dialect of AEC (which I wrote back in 2021) to the x86 dialect of AEC. And Windows Defender complains that the executable is malware known as "Program:Win32/Wacapew.C!ml". That's implausible, as Wacapew.C!ml is a Trojan, and not a virus which can infect other executable files.

This is not the first that has happened to me. Back in 2020, Windows Defender claimed that my "100 Bottles of Beer" program written in x86 dialect of AEC is a Trojan and that my Polar Rose program is a PUS. I submitted those files to Microsoft, and they agreed with me that it is a false positive.

I must admit I don't understand how that's even possible. I'd understand if my compiler gets misidentified as a virus, as some viruses (especially on Linux) output assembly code and invoke assemblers, and my compiler also outputs assembly and invokes assemblers. I understand that encryption software sometimes gets misidentified as ransomware, as ransomware also do encryption. But I don't understand how can such simple software that essentially does nothing get misidentified as malware. How do antivirus programs even work? What do they look for so that small example programs written in my programming language look suspicious to them?

And why aren't the producers of antivirus software held liable for the damage their software causes via false positives?
RE: Windows defender has, once again, incorrectly identified my program as malware!
Maybe it's referring to the user.
RE: Windows defender has, once again, incorrectly identified my program as malware!
(February 20, 2024 at 9:48 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: Yesterday, I ported my solution of the N Queens Puzzle from the WebAssembly dialect of AEC (which I wrote back in 2021) to the x86 dialect of AEC. And Windows Defender complains that the executable is malware known as "Program:Win32/Wacapew.C!ml". That's implausible, as Wacapew.C!ml is a Trojan, and not a virus which can infect other executable files.

This is not the first that has happened to me. Back in 2020, Windows Defender claimed that my "100 Bottles of Beer" program written in x86 dialect of AEC is a Trojan and that my Polar Rose program is a PUS. I submitted those files to Microsoft, and they agreed with me that it is a false positive.

I must admit I don't understand how that's even possible. I'd understand if my compiler gets misidentified as a virus, as some viruses (especially on Linux) output assembly code and invoke assemblers, and my compiler also outputs assembly and invokes assemblers. I understand that encryption software sometimes gets misidentified as ransomware, as ransomware also do encryption. But I don't understand how can such simple software that essentially does nothing get misidentified as malware. How do antivirus programs even work? What do they look for so that small example programs written in my programming language look suspicious to them?

And why aren't the producers of antivirus software held liable for the damage their software causes via false positives?

What are we supposed to do with this information?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Why write lines that essentially do nothing, by your own admission?

FA you avoided a thread that was made just for you.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

[Image: d69692588841d7e6ddd3c7a7169efff5.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Why are you creating 'software that essentially does nothing'?

Please tell us you're not in cyber security.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Malware doesn't exist.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(February 20, 2024 at 3:12 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Malware doesn't exist.

That’s a fair point. Malware can’t exist because it would violate Karl Popper’s ‘Principle Of Shit Flat Assembler Doesn't Understand’.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 20, 2024 at 9:48 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: Yesterday, I ported my solution of the N Queens Puzzle from the WebAssembly dialect of AEC (which I wrote back in 2021) to the x86 dialect of AEC. And Windows Defender complains that the executable is malware known as "Program:Win32/Wacapew.C!ml". That's implausible, as Wacapew.C!ml is a Trojan, and not a virus which can infect other executable files.

Ima just leave this here:
[Image: linux-retro-vintage-geek-style-hacking-posters.jpg]
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the most absurd error message a program you have made was outputting? FlatAssembler 38 3884 June 14, 2023 at 8:01 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  [Serious] Windows Movie Maker Help T.J. 6 709 November 29, 2021 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: AniKoferBo
  Windows Security plus Win 11 Oldandeasilyconfused 2 357 November 25, 2021 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Windows 11. Install it; Yes/ No/Wait Oldandeasilyconfused 24 2210 November 10, 2021 at 10:52 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Windows 11? Angrboda 29 2389 September 23, 2021 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: no one
  Anybody ever run Windows 10 on server hardware? popeyespappy 1 543 November 6, 2019 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Why isn't Android more serious contender to Windows? Fake Messiah 8 892 June 20, 2019 at 6:21 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Getting a Windows 98 game to run on modern windows vulcanlogician 23 2246 January 19, 2019 at 7:09 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  HELP! The Page Breaks in All My Documents Have Disappeared in Windows 2013 Rhondazvous 18 3885 January 9, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Windows 10 Running Slow A Theist 30 8152 June 2, 2017 at 5:46 am
Last Post: Joods