Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:12 am

Poll: Are the questions I pose on this thread interesting or B.S. to you?
This poll is closed.
Interesting and not total B.S.
66.67%
2 66.67%
Not interesting and total B.S.
33.33%
1 33.33%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there other paradoxes analogous to the so-called "Paradox of Hedonism"?

To quote from the Wikipedia article on the matter the Paradox of Hedonism:

Quote: refers to the practical difficulties encountered in the pursuit of pleasure. For the hedonist, constant pleasure-seeking may not yield the most actual pleasure or happiness in the long run—or even in the short run, when consciously pursuing pleasure interferes with experiencing it.

I think I first something similar when I was a small child when I would struggle with insomnia and barely sleep properly compared to other children.

Then, one day, my frustration at my difficulties with sleeping started to bother me even more than the lack of sleep itself and I told myself, basically, "I don't care if I struggle sleeping anymore. I just don't want to be frustrated like this."

That night I stopped trying to sleep and that night I had the best sleep I'd had in years. I've been able to sleep better ever since.

So what I wonder is ... how many similar paradoxes are there?

I think I have identified a few and I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the following.

1. The Paradox of Pragmatism: Trying to be pragmatic tends to lead to frustration at failing to find anything useful. Seeking the truth for its own sake tends to more likely lead to discoveries that end up being useful by accident.

2. The Paradox of Consequentialism: Actively trying to directly practice consequentialism tends to lead to more negative consequences.

3. The Paradox of Trying to Find Oneself: Going on a trip to "find oneself" leads to your self being nowhere to be find.

4. The Paradox of Trying to Lose Oneself: Trying to lose your sense of self leads to constantly bumping into your self.

Those are a few that I think apply. Any discoveries I have made are, of course, not unique to me.

Thoughts? And would you say that this is interesting and not total B.S. or not interesting and total B.S? I have put up a poll on that matter.
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts
RE: Are there other paradoxes analogous to the so-called "Paradox of Hedonism"?
I concede that Hedonism is A prevalent trait in the nature of humans
Reminds me of the trick in mindfulness meditation: If you try to be mindful, you are not, and when you are not mindful, you are. Tossing and turning in bed, attempting to sleep is going about it the wrong way, you just need to relax and stop thinking about trying to sleep. I view it as a bug in cognition, when introspecting one's own thoughts one has a tendency to overthink things instead of just being. Just how long is one able to not think anything? It seems to me to be a constant stream of consciousness, which I've found mindfulness practice is able to interrupt, sorta, making you aware and cogent of your emotions and thinking patterns more attunely.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
A paradox isn't just some point of frustration or criticism with a specific meta-ethic. It's when the system turns on itself like a snake eating it's tail.

It's not a paradox of pragmatism if or when we feel frustrated, or because we might believe that seeking truth for it's own sake, whatever that entails, is better (by whatever metric).

Consequentialism is affirmed, and not in a paradoxical state, if one's actions lead to outcomes at all.

What you're discussing are problems of agency and competency, not paradoxes.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
@The Grand Nudger

Your appear to miss the point. I am not talking about literal paradoxes. I am talking about so-called paradoxes that are analogous to the so-called paradox of hedonism.

If you take issue with the word 'paradox' then just substitute another word or words that you deem to be more appropriate. The whole point is that I'm asking if there are other things analogous to such a thing.

So, I'm not saying that pragmatism is paradoxical in the literal sense. And "the paradox of" may indeed be a misnomer. Hence why I said so-called paradox both in my thread title and my OP.

The point is that in the case of pragmatism it would qualify as analogous to the case of hedonism if trying to be useful leads to less usefulness.

Why? Because this is analogous to trying to find pleasure leading to less pleasure.

You missed the point in the case of consequentialism as well. I agree that consequentialism is affirmed. It makes sense in theory. I'd even go further and say it's true. The point is that the analogy would apply if trying to practice the theory leads to more negative consequences than not trying to practice the theory.

(July 16, 2020 at 9:45 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: What you're discussing are problems of agency and competency, not paradoxes.

I hope it's clear that this completely 100% misses the point.
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newcomb's Paradox GrandizerII 23 2330 July 12, 2023 at 10:32 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  My new support for hedonism Transcended Dimensions 28 3273 March 17, 2018 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  The Paradox of tolerance and current events TaraJo 16 4938 August 19, 2017 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Are other atheists of one book? carusmm 14 1904 May 30, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Moral law in Humans and other animals The Reality Salesman01 13 4069 February 28, 2015 at 1:32 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Determinism, Free Will and Paradox bennyboy 98 20512 January 20, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  "Homosexuality is a choice" and its paradox FallentoReason 216 56975 August 29, 2013 at 1:25 am
Last Post: genkaus
  why shouldn't adults bully each other? dazzn 119 36225 June 5, 2013 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Gilgamesh
  free will paradox justin 100 32812 May 1, 2013 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: wwjs
  Hedonism My imaginary friend is GOD 7 1368 February 14, 2013 at 8:29 am
Last Post: mralstoner