Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 7:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No one is an atheist
No one is an atheist
If atheism is simply a non-belief in God, then no one is an atheist. I don't mean that "everyone believes in God, they just don't know it." I mean that atheism is an attribute of an ideology, but it isn't an identity in itself.

I've had several conversations with atheists that goes something like this:

"God doesn't exist. He's a fantasy just like the tooth fairy or santa claus."
"Well, what do you believe, if you don't believe in God?"
"It's not about what I believe, the burden of proof is on you. You are the one who believes."

I may be the one who believes in God, but I am not the only one who believes. All people believe. Making inferences about reality is a necessary part of survival for humans. Atheism is just a general term for belief systems not based upon God.

IMO, if you can't admit that you have your own beliefs, you are a coward. You are afraid to have your beliefs questioned, put under the same skepticism that you use against those that believe in God. Marx was a communist. Bertrand Russel was a rationalist. The Dalai Lama is a Buddhist. All these men are atheists, but they all have a specific system of ideology that is debatable in reasonable terms. To just call yourself an atheist without saying what you do believe in a debate is to have the discussion drowned in irrationality.

This is mostly what I've seen so far on this forum. Most of you don't have a formulated idea on anything, you just hate. It's the same kind of prejudice that many religious people function under. If that's what truly disgusts you about religion, perhaps you could realize that you don't need a religion to be a bigot. You also don't have to be a bigot to be religious.

RE: No one is an atheist
Bliss Wrote:If atheism is simply a non-belief in God, then no one is an atheist. I don't mean that "everyone believes in God, they just don't know it." I mean that atheism is an attribute of an ideology, but it isn't an identity in itself.

Not even the rocks which have no belief in God? Sleepy

I'll let the others cleave you though, I'm too sleepy to protect you Sleepy

Sleep tight, don't let the atheists bite ^_^
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(April 14, 2011 at 12:24 am)bliss Wrote: This is mostly what I've seen so far on this forum. Most of you don't have a formulated idea on anything, you just hate. It's the same kind of prejudice that many religious people function under. If that's what truly disgusts you about religion, perhaps you could realize that you don't need a religion to be a bigot. You also don't have to be a bigot to be religious.

Bliss, I'm a Deist, so I don't take much issue with the whole existance of God thing you got going on, but I can tell you this for sure. You have NO IDEA what you are saying and just because you make a statement like, "you don't have a formulated idea on anything" doesn't make it remotely true. Some of us on this website have spent a lifetime figuring out what it is we do and do not believe and having some inexperienced little halfwit tell us all that we are just angry and bigoted as you perch yourself up on your little religious soapbox makes you just like every other christian who comes in here. A fool. Your theories are so flawed I don't even know where to begin. For gods sakes, you don't even list a single source for your stupidity, and I'm not even an atheist, imagine what they're going to say to you.

Where do you get off claiming that no one is an atheist??? Who the hell are YOU???? Bullshit

Have some respect little one.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Quote:Catholic

And how many altar boys have YOU sodomized today?

I sense a shit-and-runner, here. Got to get my shots in early.
I know you need an avatar Bliss, and I have one that'll suit you just perfect...
[Image: church.jpg]
[Image: Evolution.png]

Oooooohhh Goodie!!!Devil Cat Another xtian for the lions. Tiger

bliss...go back to your playpen until you can come out with a logical, well sourced theory otherwise you are just being a bigoted hate monger who will find themselves shot one day..(definitely applies to the USA)Cranky

We have our own belief systems and have no desire to FORCE them on anyone...unlike xtians, muslims, jews, and any other individual of a belief system that thinks the world should bend itself around to suit THEM... Angry Lynch Mob

You insult all those decent people who can claim kinship to your little tribal belief system, who just get on with their own lives and don't bother anyone....so much more dignified than you...and clearly more mature. Indubitably
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Quote:If atheism is simply a non-belief in God, then no one is an atheist.

Wrong.An atheist is only a person who does not believe in gods. There is no equivocation.

Quote:I may be the one who believes in God, but I am not the only one who believes.

Logical fallacy; ;argumentum ad populum aka argument by consensus. A proposition is not true simply because a lot of people believe it ,nor untrue because a lot of people disbelieve it.

Quote:Making inferences about reality is a necessary part of survival for humans.

Indeed. Science does it all the time. However,scientific inferences are based on evidence and are not absolute. Religious beliefs are not evidence based and are absolute.

Quote:To just call yourself an atheist without saying what you do believe in a debate is to have the discussion drowned in irrationality.

Wrong. My atheism refers only to non belief in gods. It is an effect of my personal philosophies,not a cause.I have neither the obligation nor need to discuss,justify or prove anything.

On what ideas do I base my life?Quite a few actually:Beginning with skepticism. I reject the so called neo Platonist thinking of people such as Augustine of Hippo,and insist that truth cannot be determined by reason alone. I demand evidence. I also accept egoism,materialism and moral relativism, to name a few.. I'm pro science,pro reason ,pro acceptance and anti ignorance, anti bigotry, and anti hatred.

Quote:Atheism is just a general term for belief systems not based upon God.

Wrong. atheism is not a belief system,period.

Quote:Most of you don't have a formulated idea on anything, you just hate.

What an ignorant and spiteful thing to say;you are not in any position to make such a judgment.. For a start ,you will be treated with far more tolerance here than an atheist on a Christian forum.

I do not hate,or even dislike you; we've never met. I have no quarrel with any of the believers I know,including my Catholic mother.Nor am against religious beliefs per se. HOWEVER, I consider organised religion parasitic and a boil on the arse of humanity.

A recovering Catholic for over 40 years, I admit to a visceral loathing of the Catholic church as an institution. I consider it deeply corrupt and rotten to the core.

It is doing me a disservice to say I JUST hate. Of course I DO hate a few things and a couple of people.But to say I 'just' hate would be like saying you are "just" a willfully ignorant fool suffering from severe cognitive dissonance".I'm sure there is a lot more to you. Or not. Angel Cloud
(April 14, 2011 at 1:47 am)padraic Wrote:

I love you pad!! Heart Tiger

"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Quote:I love you pad!! Heart Tiger

Now ya done gone and made me blush.Blush

(April 14, 2011 at 2:31 am)padraic Wrote:
Quote:I love you pad!! Heart Tiger

Now ya done gone and made me blush.Blush

If a bunch of groupies showed up on your lawn expressing their love for you... would you be all

"Damn kids! Get off of mah lawn!" Cranky

Or would you be blushing brick red that people noticed an old guy like you in the first place Tiger
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2861 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Leaving cards with one Bible verse and one Quran verse for people to discover? ReptilianPeon 7 2378 November 10, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  The One Thing the Atheist Misunderstands Sonny 255 40109 December 30, 2014 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  I am now one seriously conflicted Atheist.. Help??? LostDays 47 10042 November 6, 2014 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  The Christian view of life being superior to the Atheist one Dolorian 16 3443 October 26, 2014 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Even us atheist don't realize one thing LogicOrDie 8 2352 September 8, 2014 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Can one be Atheist and Superstitious? Goosebump 45 7224 August 28, 2014 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  One Small Step For Life, One Giant Leap For Understanding LivingNumbers6.626 6 3462 July 28, 2014 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  would you tell your parents one day that you are an atheist ? Marsellus Wallace 71 12630 March 15, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
  One final attempt to get one over on you. Whateverist 25 6247 March 1, 2014 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Whateverist