Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Another Atheist
Just Another Atheist
I haven't had a chance to thoroughly observe this forum before posting, which isn't necessarily the best way of going about things, but it's been a long day and it's nice to indulge in a bit of impatience every now and then. I did, however, read over the rules, the guide over netiquette and briefly over the use of codes - I'll reference them more as I need them.

I did come over from atheistforums.com and I can see a few names I recognize. However, I'm not here due to jumping ship, but simply out of curiosity. AF has never caused me any grief and on many occasions has offered an outlet for the anti-theistic thoughts I have at times, especially when patience and careful thinking ends and frustrations begin. This tends to happen as I live in the United States, particularly in the arrogantly dubbed 'Bible-Belt.' I live in a small town that is reluctant to recognize other beliefs and especially caustic to lack of belief. The libraries are censored, and although there are those in the science departments who happily disprove creationism, students at the local college are subjected to creationism and other unsubstantiated theological arguments in many of the other classes.

Since I am not one to remain quiet over things I feel impassioned about, I have opened my mouth when I probably shouldn't have, I have voiced my lack of belief (and the reasoning behind that) when I probably shouldn't have, and I have questioned every instructor every step of the way employing the very critical thinking skills that is mandatory for every college student to learn. A few of the students have applauded my efforts, but I am skeptical if it is because they felt my reasoning was sound or found my rebellious nature to be amusing. In either case, for the times when I have to bite my tongue or when I know my emotions are unfounded or unfair, it has been nice to voice such things on AF. However, I feel that I've spent enough time wallowing in such emotions and need to be a little more mature in the manner in which I conduct myself.

There are some discussions over scientific fields, but these discussions are not the focal point and tend to be sporadic. So, I came here looking for information pertaining to that. Also, atheists can vary to a wide degree, so different ideas can be enriching.

I strive to be unbiased, fair, and scientific in my approach, but like anyone else, I am human and will ultimately fail. I welcome criticisms to my viewpoints and find it particularly useful for any fallacies or misinterpretations to be pointed out. Also, I'm not above doing a little research as long as I'm pointed in the right direction.

RE: Just Another Atheist
Hi
hi
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Just Another Atheist
Welcome to our sanctuary. Here you may let go of the feelings of being sieged by stupid and participate in our relatively "polite" discussions.

I say relatively for a good reason. We all have our prickly sides, some are just prickles, some are just pricks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just arrived from The Thinking Atheist Gwaithmir 20 3062 October 1, 2018 at 9:12 am
Last Post: OakTree500
  Hello everybody! just came out as an atheist. JeffY 14 2627 April 24, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  An atheist to the bone from another country rado84 52 4856 July 3, 2015 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: rado84
  Just another nut? swordwords 61 16966 April 24, 2013 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: Tex
  Just another introduction Ocato 11 4109 August 19, 2012 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Ocato
  Just another (black) Atheist here Drkojiin 42 9966 June 4, 2012 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Another atheist here Werewolff 90 13806 March 11, 2012 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Just another atheist... rubikscube 6 1490 January 9, 2012 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: Blam!
  I just registered just now! Emma_Hates_Islam 46 11975 December 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: Happy UnBeliever
Rainbow Another Atheist on the Alpha Course evil_si 23 5441 November 16, 2011 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Justtristo