Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:37 am

Poll: What's wrong with theistic beliefs?
This poll is closed.
Are they delusional
40.54%
15 40.54%
Is it an illusion
16.22%
6 16.22%
Are they just plain crazy
10.81%
4 10.81%
something else
32.43%
12 32.43%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delusion?
Delusion?
In an effort to understand something I'd like to make a quick little poll and start up a conversation.
I would like atheists so answer without too deep thought their initial reaction to the question.
Are theists suffering from a delusion? Defined as a persistent false belief
Could it be an illusion? Defined as a misinterpretation of actual phenomenon
Just plain crazy? Define it how you like as you’re not going to take this seriously
Something else?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
RE: Dellusion?
I voted something else as you did not have "all of the above" as an option Tacky Big Grin

I do not understand just WHAT it is with theists ....why do they insist on being slaves?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
The same answer anone would have for why they do anything. There's an obvious benefit from it. Now whether your idea of slaves and mine are the same or not is highly debated Big Grin
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

(November 9, 2011 at 6:32 am)tackattack Wrote: The same answer anone would have for why they do anything. There's an obvious benefit from it. Now whether your idea of slaves and mine are the same or not is highly debated Big Grin

Oh ...

Sorry Tacky I thought you wanted an honest answer.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I'm not so sure it's a delusion, most theists are theists because they were bought up that way and do not question it. Some of them will never think to question, some do not care. I think the smarter one's like yourself and Frodo are deluding yourselves, i base that on of lack of proof, but i think the same for deists. But at the same time, i can see why some people want to believe. It's slightly romantic to think you'll see your first love or your deceased wife again at the pearly gates. I will vote for something else, as i think it's more than 1 option and each case is different.

Not a dig at you and Frods btw.
an honest answer, no delude me some more, you know how we are.. Big Grin Honesty is always preffered and you know that KN! Shock

5th but then why didn't you choose delusion, perhaps I should allow multiple?

Yes multiple, because like i said, i think the intelligent ones are deluded(horrible word) and i think the intelligent thinking christians are a minority so i cant poll that one, but others are naive, most don't care and do not question, a mass of different reasons.
Like I said Tacky...I am of the opinion that those who adhere to religion are little more than slaves to that doctrine. The delusion comes in when these people THINK that they are "Chosen" and so perpetuate the "Delusion" onto their offspring. The "delusion" is that theists seems to believe that they are "special" "chosen of god" "good servants" and other phrases in that vein ...the fact that they are Judaic, Islamic or xtian is just an irrelevancy. IMHO

I am to understand that this is a real problem in USA politics at the moment.
I think it is a form of delusion that stems from severe brainwashing.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

The idea of ultimate bliss in heaven with God in the afterlife gives them comfort and they refuse to give that up. Therefore they want their beliefs to be true really really bad. Even while they're alive on earth they don't like the idea of their prayers not being granted from up above because there's nobody there. Many are also conditioned to believe this since they were a child...better known as brainwashing.

The idea of eternal sleep without any dreams is much too scary for most people so they'll hang on to it no matter what.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the atheist delusion(who started it or that notion?) Quill01 2 566 July 25, 2022 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5700 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Ok Atheists! I have God Delusion! Catholic_Lady 54 9758 April 14, 2018 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Thought on this video about "Atheist delusion"? Macoleco 3 1301 October 30, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Atheist Delusion Foxaèr 25 4329 October 18, 2016 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Religion is a Delusion/Mental Illness z7z 80 15094 May 27, 2015 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: snookerman
  The human brain is under a delusion that it is a mind Blackrook 45 7993 September 25, 2014 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The God Delusion Documentary CindysRain 29 4868 July 24, 2014 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Amalynne0
  So this came with the copy of the God Delusion I just bought. Mudhammam 19 4876 April 23, 2014 at 11:35 am
Last Post: DarkHorse
  Atheist Delusion DelusionsOfGrand 27 7042 January 22, 2013 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet