Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
being a hateful person
being a hateful person
Ok my girlfriend is a recent convert atheist. Or more secular humanist views. And as for me I am the same. Her mother and step father are fundie christians. So the story goes that her thiest mom was attacking one of my girlfriends post on facebook. And pretty much saying that my girlfriend was the cause of them not being civil anymore as a mother daughter relationship. And of course she had asked me to step in. And help her out. So I went in and presented facts about religion creates intolerance and that the fact that she's excluding her daughter is because the bible feeds it to her that a non believer is not moral and going to hell and should be punished for it. And then she goes on to say that I'm being intolerant and hateful. I replied how does stating facts being hateful. I said deductive reasoning is not biased. I just don't get how a person who believes in the bible which condones hate and intolerance can accuse me a person of science and rational thought. Hateful and intolerant (smh)
Bill Maher: If you believe that the world is going to come to an end - and perhaps any day now - does it not drain one's motivation to improve life on earth while we're here?
RE: being a hateful person
Fundies are always whining about how intolerant and hateful people are towards their hateful intolerance. I remain unmoved.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 10, 2011 at 12:18 pm)xxxtobymac Wrote: I just don't get how a person who believes in the bible which condones hate and intolerance can accuse me a person of science and rational thought. Hateful and intolerant (smh)

[Image: scale.gif]
Your girlfriend' family is fundamentalists mindlessly valued religion over family love. You should remain that family they should love their offspring regardless of religion. 5 given months or so, they'll be tolerant and more respectful - If not, better advise your girlfriend to move to some place away from her family til they're more tolerant.

I understand your girlfriends' position, since I'm only brother of 5 Christian fundamentalists.
The mom is not going to listen to you now or ever. You will always be wrong and she will always be right. It's best to just ignore her religious bullshit and keep your mouth shut. But if your like me, that's hard to do. Sometimes I just have to open my mouth when people are talking stupid shit.
binnyCoffee
(November 10, 2011 at 12:18 pm)xxxtobymac Wrote: Ok my girlfriend is a recent convert atheist. Or more secular humanist views. And as for me I am the same. Her mother and step father are fundie christians. So the story goes that her thiest mom was attacking one of my girlfriends post on facebook. And pretty much saying that my girlfriend was the cause of them not being civil anymore as a mother daughter relationship. And of course she had asked me to step in. And help her out. So I went in and presented facts about religion creates intolerance and that the fact that she's excluding her daughter is because the bible feeds it to her that a non believer is not moral and going to hell and should be punished for it. And then she goes on to say that I'm being intolerant and hateful. I replied how does stating facts being hateful. I said deductive reasoning is not biased. I just don't get how a person who believes in the bible which condones hate and intolerance can accuse me a person of science and rational thought. Hateful and intolerant (smh)
People define "hate" and "ignorance" any way they want.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Best thing you can do is remind your girlfriend that no matter what her parents say, she is a good person. Even without her parents putting a religious spin on it, it would be traumatizing. I know, because I spent years listening to my dad tell me what shit I was and my mother not being capable of deciding whether I was awesome (because I was different and so much like her grandmother) or awful (because she equated me, the eldest, with her older sister, who is an unparalleled piece of work).

For the record, I'm fucking awesome.

It sucks when your parents do shit like this, because out of everyone in the world we feel we ought to be able to depend on our parents for support and guidance and love. It's not true, unfortunately.

Just keep making sure she's aware that she's a strong and good person, that you're there for her, and I'd advise her to unfriend her mother.

My mom is finally getting to the point where she wants me around (even though we don't have much to talk about) and even she knows better than to friend me on FB. It's never a good idea.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(November 10, 2011 at 1:07 pm)binny Wrote: The mom is not going to listen to you now or ever. You will always be wrong and she will always be right. It's best to just ignore her religious bullshit and keep your mouth shut. But if your like me, that's hard to do. Sometimes I just have to open my mouth when people are talking stupid shit.

Hey! Binny! Long time, no see! Tiger

Welcome back Smile

(@OP: I also am unmoved. I'm heard this story before, and it doesn't get any more interesting in each retelling)
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Quote:I just don't get how a person who believes in the bible which condones hate and intolerance can accuse me a person of science and rational thought.

People of that particular mindset really think their 'god' wants them to be judgmental pricks. They see it as a duty. There is no reasoning with them.
If you can't avoid the subject, avoid them. They are hopeless.
I enjoy being hateful Tongue
Cunt
It's surprising how many Christians don't even follow the teachings of Jesus. It's a shame that her "conversion" has split their relationship apart; maybe it's just temporary, but religion is capable of doing this; maybe the shock will wear off.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 992 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7045 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2566 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Being a sinner just for being born mlmooney89 110 15553 June 14, 2016 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Non-Religious Person's Meaning in Life and Death AFTT47 17 5009 January 12, 2016 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Don't tell a Religious person "There is no God" Heat 46 8087 October 25, 2015 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mikazuki
  Atheism Ireland denounces hateful bigot PZ Myers TheMessiah 112 15371 April 22, 2015 at 4:21 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Has being gay become more socially acceptable than being an atheist? TaraJo 25 5018 March 3, 2014 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  what makes a person a person? microxone 41 9444 December 18, 2013 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Ksa
Thumbs Up If one has bigger boobs, then can you identify that person as an atheist Trino34 2 1337 November 15, 2013 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Trino34