Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Gospel according to a Humanist
A Gospel according to a Humanist
Members here might be interested in my profile of the historical Jesus.
It cast the story of the historical Jesus as a Tragedy, not a Comedy as the Christians have it.

http://www.freewebs.com/lmbarre

This essay is about 12 pages.
RE: A Gospel according to a Humanist
----and you are?
(November 17, 2011 at 6:20 pm)padraic Wrote: ----and you are?
LM Barré, PhD

(November 17, 2011 at 12:34 pm)lmbarre Wrote: Members here might be interested in my profile of the historical Jesus.
It cast the story of the historical Jesus as a Tragedy, not a Comedy as the Christians have it.

There is NO contemporary evidence of the Jesus character. Not that it would really matter if a man who started that cult had that same name. There is still no such thing as magic babies born of a virgin, and it still would not mean that you can be speared in the side, allowing your blood to drain out, die, and have your body and organ tissue die beyond any survivable window.

We know George Washington existed, but no sane person goes around claiming he can fart a full sized Lamborghini out of his ass back then.

Otherwise I could write a book claiming I made Warren Buffet rich. Since I am real and Warren Buffet is real that means I am a billionaire myself because I strung words together.
(December 22, 2012 at 7:41 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(November 17, 2011 at 12:34 pm)lmbarre Wrote: Members here might be interested in my profile of the historical Jesus.

There is NO contemporary evidence of the Jesus character. Not that it would really matter if a man who started that cult had that same name. There is still no such thing as magic babies born of a virgin, and it still would not mean that you can be speared in the side, allowing your blood to drain out, die, and have your body and organ tissue die beyond any survivable window.

You are simply inventing an unreasonable criterion to justify an irrational skepticism. How many historical figures have contemporary evidence of their existence?

You are confusing the credibiltiy of traditions about Jesus with the separate issue of the historicity of Jesus. Fancifull elements in Christian writings do not dismiss those writings as providing historical evidence. Furthermore, the "disqualification" of historical evidence of Christian writings. All writings have biases. That we should have traditiions of Jesus that are a mxiture is the unusal findings of any historical researchof a historical figure. Like many other historical figures, the traditional portrayal of a historical Jesus has been exaggerated by myth and legend.
George Washington hardly cut down a cherry tree and then said that he could not tell a lie. This legend does not negate the historical existence of Washington but rather supports it, critically interpreted. Sargon of Akkad was a historical person, but the Legend of Sargon does not show in anyway that Sargon was a mythical figure. On the contrary, a legend may well support the historicity of the person who is the topic of the legend or myth.

Here is massive literary evidence that a historical Jesus existed:

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/

Furthermore, mythicists have very little to say about the alleged person who created the fictional Jesus. Almost nothing about the historical questions of who?, when?, why?, how?, and what for?

We know George Washington existed, but no sane person goes around claiming he can fart a full sized Lamborghini out of his ass back then.

Otherwise I could write a book claiming I made Warren Buffet rich. Since I am real and Warren Buffet is real that means I am a billionaire myself because I strung words together.
(December 22, 2012 at 7:00 am)Jesus.of.Nazareth Wrote:
(November 17, 2011 at 6:20 pm)padraic Wrote: ----and you are?
LM Barré, PhD

Could you tell us what your PhD is in and what institution awarded it ?

Regards

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

(December 22, 2012 at 8:05 am)pgrimes15 Wrote:
(December 22, 2012 at 7:00 am)Jesus.of.Nazareth Wrote: LM Barré, PhD

Could you tell us what your PhD is in and what institution awarded it ?

Regards

Grimesy

How important are PHDs in comic books? That is like memorizing every word in all the Harry Potter books. What exactly would you be an "expert" in?

I'd like to know what patents this person holds in "invisible sky daddy theory"? What credible scientific peer review accepts this invisible friend theory?

I don't care what they claim to know. There are Jews and Muslims and Hindus and Buddhists with all sorts of higher education degrees. What matters for anyone is what they can empirically prove.
(December 22, 2012 at 8:30 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(December 22, 2012 at 8:05 am)pgrimes15 Wrote: Could you tell us what your PhD is in and what institution awarded it ?

Regards

Grimesy

How important are PHDs in comic books? That is like memorizing every word in all the Harry Potter books. What exactly would you be an "expert" in?

I'd like to know what patents this person holds in "invisible sky daddy theory"? What credible scientific peer review accepts this invisible friend theory?

I don't care what they claim to know. There are Jews and Muslims and Hindus and Buddhists with all sorts of higher education degrees. What matters for anyone is what they can empirically prove.

I agree with all that Brian37, was just after some information.

Regards

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gospel of John controversy Jillybean 12 499 March 4, 2024 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Mark's Gospel was damaged and reassembled incorrectly SeniorCitizen 1 351 November 19, 2023 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Embellishments in the Gospel of Mark. Jehanne 133 13287 May 7, 2019 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  How can you prove that the gospel of Mark is not the "word of god"? Lincoln05 100 11731 October 16, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The Gospel of Peter versus the Gospel of Matthew. Jehanne 47 5757 July 14, 2018 at 12:22 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  So, According To This Guy, "God" Is A Fuckhead. Minimalist 6 1436 April 1, 2018 at 8:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Christians are the greatest sinners according to their god's law rado84 25 3836 August 3, 2016 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The Anonymous Gospel Manuscripts athrock 127 23312 February 9, 2016 at 1:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles = Satanic Gospel Metis 14 4058 July 17, 2015 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Why do gospel contradictions matter? taylor93112 87 19027 April 28, 2015 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Desert Diva