Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What we lack?
What we lack?
Hey all...my latest blog. I know it's not a full treatise on the topic but it is something to think about. Sam Harris and Ronald Aronson do this far more service that my paltry offering. Can atheism have a spirituality?
http://www.mortalityandatheism.org/archives/196
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. -Steven Weinberg-
RE: What we lack?
No it can't.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(December 10, 2011 at 2:41 pm)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: No it can't.
Well, I think by spirituality, the poster simply means the religious fervent feelings, that are generally known to come with it - these can be obviously felt by atheists, and it is a common misconception men of faith have towards atheists. They often accuse atheists of been cold and lifeless and completely bereft of feeling. And of course this is just wrong too.

If it means is there a room for a spirit world? Then sure! But there isn't any reason at the moment to believe that such a realm exists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLIKAyzeIw4

I don't really confuse spirituality with the feeling we get from emotions.

Spirituality to me means the belief in spirits, that we have spirits, which of course is bullshit. Or at best, equally as likely as god existing.

So, no it can't.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

Wikipedia seems to agree for the most part with the original poster. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality According to Wikipedia the word "Spirituality" has a somewhat loose definition when it comes to the practice thereof.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

My blog, if you read it, clearly states I am not implying a soul or supernatural spirituality, but a sense of connected-ness with those things and people around us. I by no means feel there is a soul or spirits and gods but rather that many feel the need for a sense of well being that can be had in something like original buddhist teachings that are lacking in any form of ghosts and goblins but instead offer a ethical code of conduct in a structured form that many find pleasing and is in no way at odds with our atheism. Harris mentioned this at length at the end of his best seller End of Faith.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. -Steven Weinberg-
After reading the wikipedia definition, which is just wishy washy new age meaningless waffle about inner self and belief in realms and other such unempirically testable (just for frodo) stuff, then...

No, it can't.

Well personally I feel more connected to humanity than I did as a Christian. The reason for this is I no longer feel separated by my beliefs and I think we are all pretty much headed in the same direction no matter what we believe now.

That isn't spiritual but it feels a whole lot better than the Christian idea of "I am saved and most others are screwed". It feels better than being "spiritual" ever did.
This is sort of my point, whether we feel connected to one another or not, it is not spirituality.

Spirituality is actually a belief system, and an ill defined one at that. It can't possibly have any evidence or be proven true, therefore it has no place standing in tandem with atheism.

I worry that some weak atheists/agnostics posit stuff like "can we be spiritual" in order to appeal more to theists. Fuck theists.

(December 10, 2011 at 3:46 pm)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: This is sort of my point, whether we feel connected to one another or not, it is not spirituality.

Spirituality is actually a belief system, and an ill defined one at that. It can't possibly have any evidence or be proven true, therefore it has no place standing in tandem with atheism.

I worry that some weak atheists/agnostics posit stuff like "can we be spiritual" in order to appeal more to theists. Fuck theists.

So you think Sam Harris is a weak atheist? I by no means am a "weak atheist" nor am I uneducated or resigning myself to childish comments like "fuck theists." I am not looking to appeal to theist either. Anyone who has read my blog would most certainly know that. I would continue my argument but I feel given your lack of intellectual integrity with comments like you have posted, that it would be futile.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5208 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22075 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Discipline/lack of and atheism Azu 189 54769 June 19, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Your lack of imagination is your defeat Little Rik 357 44950 July 27, 2016 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is Lack of Belief the Best You Can Do? Neo-Scholastic 259 36013 April 3, 2016 at 10:56 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Something to shake the very foundation of your lack of faith yukapuka 306 37943 January 18, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Does complexity actually imply the lack of a creator? JaceDeanLove 14 4537 November 15, 2014 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Do atheists lack a sense of awe and wonder? (Doubt it.) Whateverist 33 7460 January 20, 2014 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Alex K
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12006 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Lack of belief fosters intolerance. Mister Agenda 12 5898 May 18, 2012 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Watchman