Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:13 pm

Poll: American voters, how should we elect presidents
This poll is closed.
Keep the Electoral College
7.69%
1 7.69%
Abolish it in favor of majority rules
92.31%
12 92.31%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Electoral College
The Electoral College
Are you for abolishing it or would you want to keep it and why?

The common argument for the Electoral College is it helps the sparsely populated farming states gain representation. Without this system, we are told, candidates would spend all their time in New York, Chicago and LA.

In the first place, I don't see why a vote should count more just because someone lives in a sparsely populated area. Secondly, major cities aren't voting blocks that think in lockstep. Even if you won all three cities, that's still only 10-15% of the population.

The most effective rebuttal to that argument is the Electoral College concentrates the attention of candidates. It doesn't diffuse their attention as it is supposed to. It completely works against its own stated purpose.

As it stands now, I'll never see any candidate's smiling face in person unless he's got a layover in his flight to a swing state (even with Obama's 50-state strategy, we never saw either him or McCain). Everyone knows my state will go Republican no matter what, so one party will take us for granted while the other will write us off. Because of "winner take all" there's no motive to push for a close election in any state that you can't win.

As it stands now, all the attention goes to Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania, the three largest swing states that seem to determine every presidential election. So even assuming the Electoral College's mission was a good one, it still fails since it accomplishes the opposite.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: The Electoral College
The electoral college was created to prevent democracy.

It's one of the few anachronisms from 1789 that has not been ditched.

Just to add: I'd like to hear from non-Americans too. Outside perspectives are often more useful than those caught up in the system.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Majority Rules! The Electoral College bullshit is just a big ball of little holes, in which the rulers insert their tiny pricks for the screwing of the voters.

Just ask Al... he knows all about it.

Your system is fucked up.
I don't understand why you guys still live there, tbh.
Cunt
(December 15, 2011 at 5:55 pm)frankiej Wrote: Your system is fucked up.
I don't understand why you guys still live there, tbh.

Well, most of us are stuck in this shit hole. Will you marry me, frankiej, and fly me to Scotland so that I may hear the wind a-whistling o'er the moors and shit? I'll make you tea and cookies every day, and I'll even fain a smile when I say, "Here's your tea and biscuits, sir. May I give you a blowie now?"

Haha, sure why not... But, yes, you must call them biscuits. That is my only requirement.
Cunt
Shouldn't be a problem. Yay! I'm on my way, I'm on my way to be the wife of frankiej!

Majority rules with some kind of system like Alternative Vote.
This is utterly crazy. And I work in San Francisco.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Petition to abolish the Electoral College Foxaèr 44 1789 October 19, 2020 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Electoral College DeistPaladin 43 3074 September 21, 2020 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Mob Mentality and Electoral College eliwhitneyIII 8 658 May 11, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  A Little Electoral Justice Minimalist 10 1695 November 10, 2017 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Amarok
  End the Electoral College? chimp3 60 9086 December 8, 2016 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  History of the electoral college READ.... Brian37 20 2216 November 15, 2016 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Will the Electoral College dump Trump? Jehanne 19 3106 November 14, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Dear American College students: Go to Germany TaraJo 12 4060 October 11, 2014 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  is college worth it anymore nintendo048 33 5012 March 16, 2014 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: nintendo048
  The Effect of College Education On the Presidential Election pocaracas 13 6136 November 10, 2012 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: Justtristo